“Quick stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“Quick stay”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We always enjoy our stays at the Desmond. Unfortunetely, this was a very fast trip and we spent little to no time enjoying the facilites at the hotel. Our room was in perfect order and the staff was as friendly and helpful as ever. We look forward to our next stay when we can relax and enjoy the atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our room at the Desmond was huge,( a mansion room facing the outside, room M34) internet was super fast. location good for two night stop on drive from Niagara to Boston, food and drinks at the Tavern were excellent value.
We found the layout of the hotel quite charming, and enjoyed observing the celebrations taking place at the time, including a wedding.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Romero, who helped us with our bags.

Room Tip: Room M34 was huge, and very comfortable. It faced outside, on the top floor, and was away from the h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VanessaOM
Providence
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Desmond is an interesting, unusual hotel, designed around two courtyards, each with a roof with great skylights. Many (about half, I suppose) of the guest rooms have windows onto the courtyards.
The service was friendly, except that the staff at Simpson’s were sullen at breakfast.
The plug in my bathtub would not close fully, so I could not take a bath. (It closed almost all the way but not quite enough.)
I have no major complaints, but I think I would stay in one of the many other available hotels in the airport neighborhood the next time I come to this area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Crito0
White, Georgia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Desmond is an attractive property, with the interior atria architecture built to resemble a small town center with facades of homes, apartments and businesses hiding the various hotel facilities. Having stayed here once annually for most of the last 5 years, it appears they have successfully maintained their level of quality and service at a high level. Rooms are clean, quiet and spacious. Meeting facilities are excellent. Food provided with the meeting services was consistently good. Check in and checkout were handled smoothly. Price is a bit steep, but it's a high-cost area, so that's expected..

I did not eat at the restaurants this year, but in past years they were very good.

This location is very convenient to the airport, but that also means it is not especially convenient to get into downtown Albany; Traffic, however, is not a major issue in Albany.

Room Tip: Every room I've had over four stays in five years has been comparably appealing of a high standa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ganfo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had the opportunity to use The Desmond for a meeting involving participants from a wide geographic area. The staff was outstanding. The facilities were superb. I would recommend highly and without reservation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Full disclosure: I stayed here on a friends and family rate as a relative I hadn't seen for 30+ years works there. This is still an unbiased review, but I can't rate on value.

The room was excellent with a huge bed, and cleanliness definitely not an issue. I did't get WiFi in my room but as none of my computer devices have a wired port (even my laptop) I used the Airport Express I carry to provide my own and got very fast Internet.

Breakfast was extra and possibly a little pricey. Coffee was awful but no worse than anywhere else in the US.

• Stayed September 2012
Western NY
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel one other time, twenty years ago. I was impressed in 1992, and it was exactly the way I remember, if you can imagine nothing changing, nothing at all. After twenty years, everything about this hotel is dated, worn-down and stale. It is not at all worth the money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank There-and-Back59-72
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We appreciate having you back as our guest after 20 years! As it was then and will continue to be, our décor and ambiance has always been and will always be Colonial. We offer all the modern comforts including Flat Screen TV’s with HD signal throughout the hotel, complimentary wireless service, and enhanced amenities throughout the public areas. The Desmond offers unique and traditional styling. Please reach out personally when you are back in Albany.