“Our weekend stay and dinner at The Scrimshaw was fantastic, who knew this jewel was right in our own backyard!”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a special occasion “stay at home get-a-way” with our daughter and new son-in-law and had a such a wonderful experience. The staff was so attentive, the rooms were spotless and had so much character! We had dinner at The Scrimshaw Restaurant and wow! The food is sooo good. Savored every bite! We will definitely be staying here again. Just trying to plan our next special “stay at home get-a-way” with our son and daughter-in-law this time! Either way we win! Can’t beat that !!

PS: Loved the pool tables available for guest in a seperate meeting room off the hotel lobby lounge. Perfect entertainment after a late dinner and before retiring to our rooms....

Room Tip: KIng size beds with a canopy! Wonderful!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MichelleB53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Albany, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Have stayed here a few times on are way out of town and needed to crash in order to catch an early morning flight at the albany airport. The room was nice, neat and clean. The restaurant was good and the bar food was just ok. I'm sure I will be back once again on my way out of town. The first time we stayed in a small room that had just be redone are second trip not so lucky. Once the whole place is renovated will be a great spot.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Albany, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We have held our annual conference at the Desmond for a number of years, and the service and attention to detail has always been great. This year's conference was our largest ever, and the staff at the Desmond handled all of our needs in a responsive and friendly manner. We highly recommend the Desmond to anyone planning a conference.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
SpecialK55
Reviewed October 26, 2011

From the front, the Desmond appears to be an average sized hotel. But it sprawls to the back and once inside you realize you've just entered a small city and really don't have to leave, unless you want a dose of reality-out-there. I was there for two days of business meetings. Meeting rooms were spacious, comfortable, and had great acoustics. Visibility was cut a bit by the huge chandeliers that prevented me from seeing the entire PowerPoint slide on the large screen.

Meeting food was served buffet style in very large interior courtyards. It was well-prepared, safely displayed, and quite tasty!

The room was quite large - two queen beds - clean, quiet, and comfortable. (Room #384). Even though I could see the airport from my window, I heard nothing (as long as I kept the window closed). That was okay, because the air system was so quiet I had to put my hand in front of it to make sure it was operating. The temperature stayed even at my setting all night without any dryness.

If you've read my other reviews, you know that the height of the shower head is very important for my 6+ feet in height. This one "made the grade" in that I could stand up straight in the shower with no problem.

Front desk service was excellent. I don't know about the value because my company prepaid everything.

Three problems with the room - the blow dryer was constant cold air, and it took a very long time for the shower water to heat up. Wireless was very slow-to-nonexistent.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Marcellus, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We have been there for this convention for many years and find the experience wonderful.

Room Tip: Over the years I have stayed on most floors and cross halls and have found them all very pleasant.
Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Best ADA room in NY! Very comfortable beds, nice bathroom. Very unique hotel design, extremely efficient check-in/out. Restaurants are pricey. Many weddings taking place during our stay which was a bit noisy and interferred with the overall ambience that hotel inspires.

Room Tip: Ask for a kingstreet courtyard room. Stay away from the elevator area as it is very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel is amazing. The service is the best I have ever experienced. My husband and I were traveling with a 7 year old and an 8 month old and the accomodations were perfect. Be sure to eat at the restaurants in the hotel. The food is superb and so is the service. We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: I love the rooms overlooking the pool because I could watch my older son and husband swim and have f...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family