“Attractive design next to airport”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The colonial design is well done throughout the hotel. Room decoration is enjoyable. Service in the Simpson’s Grille restaurant was attentive. The Albany airport is next door. Aircraft sounds are noticeable outdoors but not in the hotel room. A disappointment was the temporary closure of Scrimshaw Restaurant for renovation until early August 2011. The Desmond Albany is a welcoming hotel at a good price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 19, 2011

The first thing that made sense was the proximity to the airport. Secondly, the in-house restaurant serves first-rate food which is the perfect day to end a busy day. The rooms are spacious and have all the amenities that one expects. The staff is extremely cordial and polite. I was able to use the printer over at their office center to print my boarding passes and some of my work. I liked how you can get in the office center by using your room key. The grounds and everything else is well kept. I truly enjoyed my stay over at the Desmond. The other thing I liked was that they will shuttle you from and to the airport at no cost to you. That's service. Really a nice place.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed at the Desmond Albany on business and for the most part it was lovely with two exceptions. First the good stuff. The staff, with the exception of what I'll describe below was wonderful. Housekeeping, room service, and restraunt staff was top notch. The room was very pretty. I loved the huge atrium. I was just beautiful.

Now, the two negatives....... I have Tmobile and could not get reception in my hotel room except when I was using the phone in the bathroom. The second negative was earlier today when when the shuttle van driver drove a group of us to the mall a few miles away. He gave us a card with the name of a taxi service to call and explained that the hotel would cover the cost of the taxi ride back as the shuttle would not be available to return to pick us up. We found out after the fact that this was not the case. I didn't mind paying the taxi cab driver the $11.00 but when I went to the front desk to complain about the misinformation I was in so many words called a "liar" as the two gentlemen at the front desk informed me that their driver has been with them for twenty years and would have never told my group such a thing. Even when four of us who all heard the same thing went to the front desk to discuss the matter we were all curtly informed that we were all mistaken. The front desk staff would greatly benefit from more training in customer
service and how to treat their guests with respect.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lswlswlsw
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We enjoy staying at the Desmond. Rooms are nicely furnished and quiet even though the hotel is near the airport. Good breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2011

fantastic place to see and stay. Looking forwaed to my return trip. Love everything about the place.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My wife and I think that the Desmond is the best convention hotel in the Albany area. Great staff, terrific rooms, and the best convention food ever. We have stayed at the Desmond 3 times and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We like the rooms facing the courtyard.