“Nice surprise in upstate New York”

SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Bangkok
“Nice surprise in upstate New York”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

It was on my way from Woodbury Outlet to Niagara Falls and decided to laid over for a night. Location was very nice for stop over before getting to Niagara Falls and if you follow GPS then there shouldn't be any problem finding it. We stayed in a suites with 2 double and a sofa bed suitable for 3 of us. We didn't use any of the facilities so I will only commend on the room, breakfast and internet. Room was very spacious and clean but the free wifi was very slow. Breakfast served until 10am and by the time I went down (around 9:30) not much left to eat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent stay. I appreciate the feedback about breakfast being low towards the end and I will address that with my team. I'm glad we were a nice stopping point for you and hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you through the Albany area again.
Carrie Friello

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were just staying at this hotel and we had checked in late the night before. We drove in all the way from Baltimore and was very exhausted. My friend who was with me got into bed and turned off lights, I remained on the couch area to finish up some last minute business work on the computer. Once I was done I walked over in the dark and got into the bed. I was so tired I didn't even think to look at my bed, i just got under the sheets and went to bed. I woke up in morning to find my sheets had big stains on them. I thought to myself did I do this in my sleep. I did sleep with my makeup on and that was on my pillow but this looked like coffee stains and big ones at that. I picked up sheet to see under if possible it came from me, nothing seeped through to the mattress liner. No nothing everything was white under neath. So if it possibly had come from me it would have seeped through. So, I tell my friend come look at this. She's a germ-a-phobe so she was upset and thinking possibly our whole room wasn't clean. She calls down to ask if a manager could come up and inspect this with us. The manager says, no that she is giving a tour of property to out of town guest but they would have housekeeping manager come up. Housekeeping manager came up and looked at it and said it would be cleaned. About 10-15 minutes later still no maid. We did want to sit and wait so we called back to see if it was possible to switch rooms. They got an attitude with us, and said we created the stains. My friend got upset when manager of property hung up on her, she took the sheet down to the front to show her sheet, since she didn't want to come up and look for herself. At that time the manager never once tried to calm my friend down or try to work out a solution, all she did was have an attitude. We never asked to give us anything all we wanted was possibly a new room or maid in there ASAP. So before my friend came back up to room the manager on property said she would be calling the cops. She comes up and says were leaving they have called the cops. All of our stuff was already packed because we basically came in late and fell asleep. We head out and go through lobby and my friend says we have the sheet to send to cooperate, if you want to charge my card please do. The lady then replies you are going to report me so I am going to report you, that is why I called the cops. Mind you we were not acting crazy at all. We were a little upset but not crazy. She asked us to leave that cops would be contacting us. We got into our car and waited for the cops to show up and told them our side of story. Cops took our side and asked that we just leave property and we agreed. Since we prepaid through Priceline we lost out on our next night stay. We went to another local hotel. I would never in my life stay at that place again or any other SpringHill Suites.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Kennidi
Dear Guest,
I apologize that I was unable to drop what I was doing to inspect your room. You were offered several options i.e. having your room cleaned, transferring to a new room. When you became irrate and took a threatening stance I opted to contact the local police to have you removed from property. You are aware that you received a refund from the third party booking site you had pre paid with.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We checked in late, I went to bed first. My friend got into her bed with the lights off so as to not wake me. We awoke to a filthy stained sheet in her bed. The stain did not go through to the mattress pad so it was simply a stained sheet. The manager Carrie was rude, she informed me she was too busy with a tour of the hotel and that her housekeeping supervisor would come look. When we were told we would have to wait for our room to be cleaned I called the front desk to ask for a new room, that's it... Didn't ask for anything more. Carrie A. Friello the general manager then called and said the house keeping manager thought they were not washed in stains and were fesh. I told her it would be better for her to come look as the housekeeping manager had a interest in making it look like it want housekeeping a fault. She again informed me she had an inhouse tour and was too busy. I was angry so I brought the sheet to the front desk and demanded she come look at it at which time she said still she could only offer to clean our room as they had no rooms to move us to and 30 minutes later our room was still not cleaned. Carrie called the police after I requested the corporate number and she said "if your going to report me I'm going to report you" she td the police I was screaming in the lobby but other guest told the police I was not screaming. Worst hotel stay ever!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank M0M0fFOUR
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was traveling alone on my way up to SilverBay YMCA and just needed a place to stop. This hotel is perfectly located right down the block from the mall and right off 87N, so it seemed perfect. Apparently though, it's more perfect for families and groups because there were kids everywhere. The first room they gave me was on a floor where many of the kids were staying (I think there was a soccer tournament) and they were running around, so I asked to be in a quieter floor. No problem, they were very apologetic and switched my room to a great location.The kid situation impacted me again when I went down for the very nice breakfast that they serve and there was no room to sit down! No worries, I took some coffee & food up to my lovely, quiet, sun-filled suite and had a comfortable breakfast while I read my book.

This place is spic and span clean, spacious, and the staff is very friendly. I would stay again, in a heartbeat..... I'd just ask if there's a kids convention in town first!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We certainly do have a lot of families with children that stay with us on the weekends. We do host tavelling sports teams occasionally as well but do our best to keep the groups under control so as to not disturb other guests. I am glad you were able to enjoy your breakfast away from the crowds. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our extended family stayed at this hotel for one night in sept. We had 4 rooms with 3 people in each room. Every room had an adult present.The rooms were prepaid but a $250 hold was put on our credit card in case other charges were incurred. Six weeks later I saw that the credit card had in fact been charged. When I called the hotel to straighten this out I was told that there was damage done to two rooms (closet doors broken) and towels stolen. We had requested extra towels because we were extra people in the room and because we were going down to the pool and didn't know if we would find towels at the pool. Nowhere was it posted that towels might be available at the pool. I was horrified by the accusation and of course confirmed with the other family members as to the status of the rooms when they vacated them. Everything was fine. I had also checked out the rooms for items left behind before we left and didn't see anything amiss. Six weeks later the charge was sprung on me. When I contacted the manager of the hotel as to why I wasn't notified as soon as they noticed the problems her response was that there was no contact #. There was a very clear e-mail address on the reservation confirmation. No attempt, whatsoever,was made to contact me.These accusations are 100% false. It is obviously my word against theirs since they don't have any pictures and neither do I ( why would I). My recommendation to anyone going to this hotel is to take pictures of the room when checking in and again when checking out. Also count the towels you have in the room and make sure that when you leave there is the same amount of towels as when you entered the room. If you don't, do not be surprised if your credit card hold has in fact been put through weeks later.
In all the years I have been travelling I have NEVER had this kind of experience.It is very disconcerting.

Room Tip: find a different hotel unless you want aggravation.
Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank emb184
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope you understand that holds are placed on credit cards for situations such as this. Only when there is excessive damage or theft do we need to charge a guest and unfortunately as this situation affected 4 rooms we did have to charge for the damage and missing items. As your reservation was made through a third party booking site we did not have your email address on file; the telephone number was one number off so when I attempted to contact you I was unable to. Again, I hope you understand our position.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stopped here on our Foliage Tour through the northeast this year. The rooms were fine and the property is located close to the freeway. However, we were taken back by a large group of rough looking individuals in the lobby who were scarfing down pizza and beer late one night. Pizza boxes strewn across the floor, bottles scattered on the tables and floor..... Loud, boisterous people hanging their feet over the furniture.... We wondered if we walked into a Frat House.

The next morning, during a self serve breakfast, a very large woman entered thorough the back door with a big plastic bag in her hand. She walked over to the buffet, opened the refrigerator and scooped, not picked up but actually scooped an entire shelf of products including yogurt, milk and juices into the bag. She grabbed hands full of bread and pastry and stuffed them into the bag. Then she hit the packaged cereal and cleaned out most of that, too. We stood dumbfounded and speechless as we watched her tie up the bag and walk out the back door of the lobby.

There seemed to be no control at this property as locals came in and helped themselves to the amenities. We left in a hurry as we felt uncomfortable. We probably will never be back in the area again... but we feel as though others should be aware of the problems we encountered here.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room in the back.. They are very quiet!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dickgreene51
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our property. I assure you the people you saw in the lobby are in fact guests. The lobby is public space so guests are allowed to get together there. We actually find that if larger groups congregate in the lobby there are less noise complaints from other guests than if they were all in one guest room. Some guests work different hours than most as well. With regards to the guest taking mass amounts of food from the buffet, we do our best but can not control how much guests take from the buffet. Again, I assure you that we do not have people walking in off of the streets to eat breakfst. All exterior doors with the exception of the main door by the front desk are key access only. I do appreciate your feedback and hope that you understand as we try to accomodate all of our guests.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

The staff here really understands what it means to provide a good customer experience. From the moment we checked in till the time we checked out everyone was friendly, professional and attentive - they make you feel welcome and at home. The hotel was clean and the room was in good shape.

Overall this hotel is an excellent value and a comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your exceptional experience at our property. Our associates work hard to ensure every guest feels like they are coming "home" when staying with us. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future.