“Nice Suite-style hotel”

Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Syracuse, New York
“Nice Suite-style hotel”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Easy to get to from 87. Plenty of parking. Friendly, attentive staff. Small pool and work-out room. Laundry facilities available. Nice room. Sitting area with couch, desk, small fridge, microwave. Good size bathroom. Great water pressure! Clean room. Comfortable beds. Easy to control thermostat. OK breakfast assortment - coffee, bagel, muffin, cold cut (ham), two cheeses, fruit, cold cereal, yogurt, hot item (we had sausage and eggs -- eggs looked like were the dehydrated variety). Free Wi-Fi, though connection too slow to allow seamless Netflix streaming. No in-room safe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found our hotel to be what you were looking for. We will be upgrading our internet systems in the near future to allow for better streaming. I hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the Albany area.
Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Mumbai
Reviewed July 16, 2013

stayed here for one night in transit. checked in late with family. Free wifi and works well in room.

- room not cleaned properly. found pretzel stick left over by last occupant between on sofa.
- not enough towels in room. took them time to bring when requested.
- worst was the fire alarm went off at 6am. Had to tug kids along and wait outside hotel for about 30 minnutes. Then fire dept said it was technical problem which took another 45 minutes for company to come and fix. The staff said the manager and hotel people already know about technical problem. if so why was it not repaired when known? Spoiled the day as we all over slept, missed breakfast.
- Mentioned this to staff upon checkout and they had very indifferent attitude.

Disappointed with stay. does not live upto the high reviews that made me chose the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the fire alarm while staying at our property. Unfortunately, we were unaware of the issue until this occured. I assure you the problem has since been resolved. I appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention and will certainly address your concerns with my housekeeping department. I hope that should your travels bring you back to the Albany area again, you will give us another shot.
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed July 16, 2013

On a trip to Howe Caverns, NY, my husband, grandson (12) and I stayed at this hotel. Excellent spot between the caverns and Albany proper. Easy to get to. The manager was so upbeat and helpful. The king bed suite with sofa bed was clean, a nice size, and quiet. I'm a bit leery about sofa beds, but my grandson (almost 6 ft. tall) said it was comfortable. We really liked having the shower and vanity separate from the toilet. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased you found our property to be clean and with a great staff. My associates take pride in welcoming every guest and trying to make everyone feel at home while on the road. I'm glad the sofabed worked out for you grandson as well. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 14, 2013

One of the reasons to stay at a Springhill Suites is that you can expect it to be like all the other Springhill Suites. And, this Springhill Suites offered the same quality rooms and staff.The front desk staff was terrific. The room was clean. And, the air conditioning fan ran all night which blocked out any noise from outside the hotel.

The only shortcoming was that our room did not have either a dresser or shelves for clothes. There simply was no place place to put your clothes if you took them
out of your suitcase unless you hung them in the closet. Obviously, it is not satisfactory when you have to use the couch as a place to put your clothes. We have never encountered this problem at any other hotel. In fact, on safari in Tanzania we had shelves for our clothes in the tents where we stayed! Next time that I want to stay at a Springhill Suites, I will specifically ask whether the rooms have dressers before I book a reservation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I am pleased you found our property to be in line with what you've come to expect from SpringHill Suites. I am very proud of my entire team that ensures a clean room and great staff. I apologize for the lack of drawer space; we were one of the first SpringHill Suites to open with the new design and the lack of drawer space is a draw back on the design. I hope that for a short stay you will choose to stay with us again.
Liverpool, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have never seen a staff as caring as the employees of the Springhill Suites Albany NY. We were immediately welcomed by Michael the front desk manager. He could not do enough for us and offered any services like finding us a great restaurant, places to see...He made us feel so valued, The King Bed Suite had a cozy look and super clean. The Breakfast Area was a little crowded. However, Zelda, the breakfast bar manager, upon seeing us struggling to find a place to sit, immediately opened one of their fine meeting rooms so we could have a peaceful breakfast. I was traveling on a getaway with my wife and it was perfect. The only drawback is this: I do lots of travel for business and the pricing of the Springhil Suites is a little higher than the budget allowed for salesmen. Other than that, it is a great place to stay!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your experience at our property. Michael really is an asset to our property. He certainly embodies customer service! I am pleased that he was able to help you and your wife with his suggestions and recommendations. I am also glad that Zelda was able to get you in the meeting room to enjoy your breakfast. Unfortunately there isn't always enough room for all of our guests to relax in the dining area. Feel free to contact us directly the next time you are in the Albany area and we can see what we can do to get you to stay with us again!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Positive:

1) Large room - we took the king room with a sofa bed. It was quite spacious (including a pack and play and a double stroller and there was still room).

2) The hotel was most likely renovated recently so it looks realy great

3) Breakfast complimentary (eggs, cereals, pastry, yogurts etc)

Negetive:

1) The staff were a bit indifferent...maybe it was just me...

2) Althoguh requested in advance and the Front Desk advised that the crib is in the room along with extra towels...it was not. We needed to call twice to remind them.

3) The door for the toilets and bathroom did not close well. It's not an issue when your are alone or a couple, but for a family it is a bit problematic. The hotel did sent someone to check it, but we still had to lift the door in order to close it.
The sink did not drain well...

I would expect a bit more....

1 Thank akr1_10
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found our rooms to be spacious and "new". We are actually a 5 year old property that has not renovated; we are slated to renovate in 2014. Our staff goes above and beyond to ensure we keep that "like-new" feeling by maintaining high levels of cleanliness, etc. I apologize that your requested items were not in your room prior to your arrival; we do try to ensure this is taken care of before you check in. The sliding doors get mixed reviews; I understand your frustration with having problems opening and closing them. We hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the Albany area.
Toronto
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here one night en route to Boston. We arrived around 9:30 at night after a long day of travelling and the man working the front desk was fantastic. He was so friendly and welcoming (I think his name was Michael but can't remember for sure) His customer service was exceptional and stood out as he greeted everyone coming and going by name. I found myself hoping for that kind of reception at other hotels on our trip and were disappointed that no one else lived up to his standard!!
The hotel itself was very clean and the room was large and comfortable. I would not hesitate to stay there again in the future and recommend it to others travelling in the area!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and recommendation to other travelers. Michael truly is an asset to our property as well as to Marriott; we are certainly glad he's ours! I appreciate your feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us.