We submitted a Priceline bid for a three-night stay and ended up with this hotel...one of the few in which we had never stayed during our many trips to visit family in the area. The room was a second-floor king suite which consisted of a single large room cleverly divided into a sleeping area and "sitting" area by a desk having sliding panels which can be set to obscure the view from the sitting/working area into the sleeping area...makes it seem like separate areas without actually BEING separate areas.
- The bed was comfortable.
- The room was reasonably quiet.
- The decor was pleasant and relaxing.
- It was clean.
- There is free wi-fi (which apparently remembers you from day to day, so you only need the password once...cool beans).
- There's plenty of free parking.
- The sitting area had not only a couch, but also a chair in addition to the office chair.
- There was a microwave and a small, under-counter refrigerator, though we did have to change the refrigerator from its warmest setting to store our restaurant leftovers.
- The coffeemaker was capable of making more than one cup at a time.
- Breakfast is included in the price of the room.
- Shower has nice glass door instead of annoying curtains.
- Shower room and bathroom are separate, with separate sinks...but see below.
- Room temperature control was quiet and efficient.
- TV was not "stuck" in wide mode...it could be adjusted for the aspect ratio of the program being viewed, and the channels available were mostly the HD versions of the usual cable channels.
- The eating area in the lobby area had a nice fireplace.
- Partner says that the complimentary Paul Mitchell toiletries were nice.
- NOTE: The staff was absolutely super!
- Shower and bathroom doors are sliding doors with frosted glass inserts...an interesting approach to maximizing usable room space, but the frosted glass meant that any light turned on in the middle of the night also flooded the rest of the room with light. Also, although the frosted glass didn't really allow for "viewing" of the processes going on behind them, it was definitely not opaque, and shapes could be discerned if directly adjacent to the glass (anything more than a foot or so from the glass is essentially invisible, and the commode itself is behind a solid wall, so you can't see anyone sitting there). The bathroom door was sticky and noisy.
- Hot water for both the sinks and the shower took forever to arrive.
- There was only room for a nightstand on one side of the bed.
- The TV is "centered" in the room and must be rotated to watch from either the bed or the sitting area...it really can't be seen properly from both areas at once. Also, the power plug on the TV worked itself loose due to the constant rotation from bedroom to sitting room.
- Breakfast, while free, was just average, i.e., it filled the empty stomach, but was nothing to cheer over. Bite the bullet and go pay for breakfast at the Wolf Road Diner (a couple of miles away at the far end of Wolf Road) if you want more than prepackaged eggs, sausage patties, breads, cereal, juice, and barely ripe melon. On the other hand, as I said, it IS both free and edible.
- Room glasses and coffee mugs are glass and ceramic, respectively...a bit of class compared to pre-wrapped plastic, but also a point of concern for anyone who saw the TV documentary and is concerned about the sanitation of items like this that can be re-used.
In short, this is a typical Marriott property...basically well done, well kept, and quite functional, if you're willing to overlook a few quirks about the room design. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. Tripadvisor has this property listed as #9 out of 50 in the area (as I write), and they really do deserve it.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Marriott, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Albany-Colonie Hotel Albany