“Nice staff, but infrastructure needs some improvement”

SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The front desk staff were very professional and the staff working in the breakfast buffet made you feel at home. Zelda was the star. She made sure that we had enough food to start our day and in my opinion, is one of the main reasons that I will stay there again. Cons: 1) the toilet is separated from the shower room and it just felt like the WC is made out of a closet (with a sliding door). It may be okay for a day or two, but for people who plan to stay longer, this might become painful 2) the swimming pool has way too much chemical in it. I swim almost every day in an indoor swimming pool. When I walked into the in-door swimming pool room, I felt my lung was about to be burned. They may want to either go easy on the chemical or open the sliding doors to allow for better ventilation. Though the gym next door has its own ventilation system, you can still smell the chemical. We ended up not using any of the workout facilities there because of the strong odor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at our property. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. I will certainly look into the chemical situation in the pool as we do not want the levels to be too high so you feel that you can't breathe in there! Again, thank you for letting us know. We hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the Albany area.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

When we walked in the door we were greated by the most friendly desk staff. What an enjoyable group. They must definatley enjoy their jobs. Thank you both for being so welcoming. Our room had two beds and a sofabed plus a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. It was a really nice room. The beds were great. We slept well. The room was quiet - we didn't hear any hall noise or noise from other rooms. The bathroom got a bit steamy when taking a shower (no separate vent/fan) but at least the sink area was outside of the bathroom so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. The breakfast was good. All of the normal items - well stocked by the staff. The morning we were there it was quite busy - but the staff kept up. We would definately stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our associates work very hard to make every guest feel at home while staying with us. Please feel free to contact me should you need any assistance with future reservations!

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We really enjoyed our one-night stay here. The lounge area in the lobby is quite comfortable and does double-duty in the morning as a dining area. There is an ample array of tables and chairs to accommodate the many diners who take advantage of the varied spread of hot and cold breakfast items. As a vegetarian, I was extremely pleased with the hearty hot oatmeal (not instant) with healthy toppings such as pecans and dried fruit. Our suite was equally lovely with a wonderfully comfortable king bed, pillows, love seat and desk chair. I was thrilled to find that the lighting was quite good (often rare in hotel rooms). Sliding panels separate the desk from the bedroom area which enabled me to read with a bright desk lamp without disturbing my sleeping partner (a definite plus). The only thing I missed having was a bureau with drawers. I want to add that the staff at the front desk were extremely helpful in assisting with a dinner recommendation and nearby car wash facilities.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wind V
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We strive to accomodate all of our guests so I am pleased our breakfast selections were ample for you. I am excited to share your review with my staff. We hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the Albany area!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Great location. Close to the Mall and restaurants. Relatively new from the room that I stayed in. My room had a small refrigerator and microwave. Also there is a decent gym for working out without feeling claustrophobic. Breakfast is average. It certainly won't break the Marriott bank to serve something nicer like Hampton Inns or Homewood Suites.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us! Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Thank you!

Reviewed April 24, 2012

There were many wonderful things about this hotel. It was centrally located (close to airport and shops). The staff was also very helpful. The room itself was pleasantly proportioned (nice bed, good pillows, separate area for toilet and shower, great shower and water pressure). The gym was also decently kitted out with newer cardio equipment and even one small weight lifting machine.

There is little to complain about here. To be persnickety, I would note that: (1) the TV was at an odd angle in the room; and (2) the fire station across the street has a rather odd siren that is more like a mobile phone vibrating. While I'm not sure I would choose this hotel for couples travel, I can imagine it would be imminently suitable for family and friends -- and it was a pleasure for business travel.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Carrie243, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I'm glad you "discovered" us and hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the Albany area. If I can ever be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask for me. Thank you again!

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed in a King Bed suite with a pull out sofa on the first floor. The room was set up with plenty of room to move about. The bedding and mattress were comfortable - I slept great. Two bathroom areas - one area for a shower and large sink, with a separate area for the toilet and smaller sink. There was also a partitioned off area for a desk in the living room. The included breakfast was plentiful with a pleasant variety of hot and cold items. The hotel is just around the corner from the large shopping mall and near many restaurants including Cheesecake Factory.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am happy that you found our property comfortable for your needs. I do hope that should your travels bring you back to the Albany area that you will choose to stay with us again. Please don't hesitate to ask for me if I can be of any future assistance. Thank you again!

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We are regular Marriott brand travelers and this was our first stay in a SpringHill Suites property. The rooms are efficient (a work/office area is separated by Asian-inspired screens), and the spacious shower (no bath) is split from the toilet so that two guests can have access to the facilities at the same time. There is a microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker in a small bar-like area; this is not a full kitchen like some suites hotel brands but handy. The room was clean and quiet, the bed comfortable, and LCD TV accessible to both the bed and work areas. Downstairs, the gym looked compact but well equipped and clean; and we had a great time visiting the small indoor pool with our granddaughter. The free breakfast offered a good selection of the usual cereals, eggs, toast/bagels/muffins, yogurt and fruit and was attended by staff who replenished the offerings and kept the buffet spotless. We like staying at properties that have separate bedroom/workspace suites but this was convenient and pleasant for this stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family