“Great atmosphere, food and value!”
Review of Iron Gate Cafe

Iron Gate Cafe
Ranked #7 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Happened by this place and stopped in for lunch! How unique a huge iron gate entrance through a lovely open patio space with interesting buildings at either side for walls. Up the steps and into the restaurant and more uniqueness - Elvis photos and record memorabilia on the walls! Belly up to the tall counter to place your order (we had the California wrap with turkey and avocado) then pay the very friendly ladies at the register. We ate outdoors as it was a beautiful spring day and ate the whole thing!

Our co-worker says their soups are also fabulous! We'll probably be back!

1  Thank RiverlanGone

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My office sometimes orders lunch from here, so when I mentioned to my husband that they have brunch and we should try it - he said "let's go this weekend" and that was sometime last year. Since then, we have been for bunch MANY times - there was one month where we went every weekend. And we drive over from Troy if that tells you how much we like this place - it's about a 20 minute drive. He ALWAYS gets the John Denver. I don't always get the same thing, but my favorite is the bacado (bacon, avocado) omelette. The staff is friendly, the service is good and the food is fresh. It's counter service for lunch, but we usually order delivery at my office.

1  Thank smiles_for_miles
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Small eating area, so at popular times you'll want a reservation. Brunch was reasonably priced and delicious.

1  Thank jambarama
Reviewed January 11, 2013

After hearing rave reviews for this place the wife and i had an opportunity to stop for lunch. You have to realize this is downtown Albany and parking is miserable. We had to climb over ice banks to get to the parking meter as the the city nor local businesses feel they should provide this service to the public. I then had to rescale the behemoth to put the little ticket on my dash then over again to enter the "restaurant"
The outside could be charming in warmer weather as there is a small courtyard. We entered the cafe and were greeted by big menu boards describing the offerings and listing prices. While the writing was neat and legible it was all over the place and in different colors which I think Lauranda is referring to when she says "hip" I say confusing. The place is busy and the ordering area is small. You run the risk of being trampled if you don't know what you want.

All along im looking for the table where i will be seated and wait for the " friendly waitress" Strike two on me. No waiters or waitresses. So when you say the service is "friendly" exactly what service are you talking about? Yes the cashier said hello and the man who takes the order through the little window seemed ok but i wouldnt call that "service"

Here's my "favorite" part. Once our lunch was handed to us (maybe that was the service) over the heads of construction workers we headed to the back to eat in. The room drops down into a smaller room that with the painting reminded me of something out of the "Blair Witch Project" The room was beyond small and to say the tables and chairs were "rickety" is being generous.
However i was in luck because there is another room that had safer looking furniture for my 190lb frame.
Strike three.. While i had no worry of the chair collapsing under me. I was bombarded with i kid you not ELVIS music. Where exactly does this fit into the motif?

Closing.. The dining area too small and absurdly cheap. The paint job in the dining area is straight out of Guantanamo and there is absolutely no "service" to like or dislike. Honestly the food is good so if you want to treat yourself to a sandwich take out and go back to the office. This is not a place to make a "special" trip to. If you live in the neighborhood and know these people you probably wont like my review but if you are like most of us and would trade "hip and Trendy" for a "WAITRESS" then you will see i am spot on. $28 for a soup and salad without a server is outrageous. You could get the same at a food pantry

2  Thank NewYorkBighawk68
Reviewed November 18, 2012

An interesting restaurant located on one of Albany's main roads, across the street from the Armory. Parking can be a challenge. We had to park three blocks up Central Ave.

Based on a recommendation from a friend, we went there for lunch on a Saturday. I had the sandwich of the day with a cup of soup. The soup was just ok, but the sandwich was out of the world. It was a roast beef sandwich with a fantastic spicy sauce on a roll. It was large enough for two meals (I took half of it home for the next day). The wife had an egg white omelet and she loved it. The service was very attentive.

I will definitely go back again.

1  Thank Harold M

Been to Iron Gate Cafe? Share your experiences!