All reviewsstate capitoldeluxe roomvalet parkingaveda bath productswellington restaurantgorgeous hoteleagle stclassic buildingclub loungegreat view of the capitolnew yorkroom was large and comfortablebeautiful bathroomflat screen tvsgreat showercorner roomwithin walking distance
Reviewed November 16, 2017 via mobile

Over the years, my late wife and I had opportunity to visit Albany on numerous occasions, usually as a stopover on our way to and from New York. We stayed at all of the major chains, and truthfully, most of the experiences were underwhelming, even as Elite members of the hotel loyally programs. Not so, here at the Renaissance. Traveling solo is somewhat foreign to me since the recent passing of my wife, but I was made to feel most welcome from the moment I walked through the door. The property is absolutely the most architecturally interesting hotel in the Albany area. The public spaces have been beautifully restored to their original design , yet the rooms are refreshingly modern and stylish with excellent functionality. The meeting rooms on the second floor provide a welcome oasis with comfortable seating areas and a welcoming fireplace while the Concierge Lounge offers Elite guests food and beverage offerings during weekday evenings and breakfast in the mornings. The evening offerings are actually complete meals and not the typical unhealthy deep fried finger foods so commonly found in most lounges. During my one night stay, the choices were sausage rigatoni, deli sandwiches of all types, fresh baby spinach salad, and a good selection of cheeses, snacks and nuts.. Beverages included complimentary soft drinks, juices, tea and coffee as well as an honor bar with very reasonable prices, $6 for wine or spirits and $4 for beer. The Concierge Lounge is designed cafeteria-style, and while not in keeping with the other elegant public spaces on the second floor, the design is very functional.

My deluxe room on the 11th floor, was commodious and very comfortable. The lighting effects created a warm and pleasant ambience, while still providing sufficient illumination to conduct work at the desk. The HVAC central system kept the room comfortable without the noise that the through the wall units so often emit. The bedding was typical Marriott issue, meaning I enjoyed a good night's sleep from the moment my head hit the pillow. The bathroom was quite large, and the shower provided good pressure with plenty of hot water and no leakage from the sliding glass door.

The overnight parking rate at the indoor garage, which is attached to the hotel, is $17, a discount of $5 off the regular rate.
For those arriving by car, and relying on your GPS to get you to the official State St. address of the hotel, the entrance and loading zone is actually on Eagle St., between State St. and Lodge St., with the garage entrance on Lodge St. around the block via State and Howard St's.

The location of the hotel is amongst its best features, being within easy walking distance of most business, cultural, dining and entertainment options in the downtown Albany area. The Rensselaer/Albany AMTRAK station is a short 6 minute drive across the Hudson.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my stay at the Renaissance, and will make this my temporary home whenever passing through Albany in the future. Given the quality of both the hard and soft product, I found the rates to be most reasonable.

As an aside, I left a framed photograph of my late wife, with whom I continue to travel in spirit, on the nightstand by the bed. Upon calling the hotel, I received an email from the Lost Item/Security Department advising me that they had found my photo and would be holding it in their safe for retrieval on my passing through Albany a few days later. Just another example of the honesty and customer service one can expect when staying at this hotel.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank flyme2
Leola E, General Manager at Renaissance Albany Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2017

Dear flyme2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Albany. We are happy to hear that you had a good stay with us and that our staff was able to make you feel welcomed from the second you arrived. It was truly a pleasure to have you here as our guest and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

Great design hotel. Friendly staff. Arrived at night and hoped for valet parking but they got rid of that service. But lot is attached to the hotel so pretty easy. Had a double queen. Cool blue hue light in entry to room. Good bathroom though no tub. Walls are a little thin (or our neighbors were unusually loud) but comfortable room overall. Lots of convenient plugs for electronics. Good reading lamps above beds. Cool shades and black outs on the windows. Great food in the restaurant- we had dinner and breakfast there. The chicken dish is among the best I’ve had anywhere.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family

Dear Michael r,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your recent visit at the Renaissance Albany Hotel. We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly, your guest room was comfortable and that you had two positive dinning experiences in Wellingtons. We hope that you will choose to stay here with us again in the future should your travels bring you back to Albany.

Reviewed November 13, 2017

Classic 1927 building one block downhill from Capitol Plaza completely gutted and reconstructed two years ago into a four star AAA Marriott run Hotel. Historic street level original lobby kept intact and restored keeping original wood and high historic murals. New rooms are light and airy, excellent views, contemporary décor in gray tones with white furniture and mirror and silver accents. Bathrooms, large, walk-in shower, crisp and clean. Enclosed sky bridge connection to Albany Capitol Center i.e. large conference center across the street.

Room Tip: All upper rooms have great views, best location if you have a conference at the Center next door
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business

Dear ITCountM,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your valued feedback and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night on a Wednesday and the parking garage is behind the hotel. There is a nice bar and restaurant just off the lobby that we had a couple of drinks at. The decor of the hotel is modern and the rooms were very nice and had a mini refrigerator in each room. Bed was comfortable as well. Would return for sure.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business

Dear Str8frwd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Albany Hotel. We are happy to hear that you found your guest room modern and comfortable, and enjoyed the restaurant and bar. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed November 9, 2017

Loved my stay at the Renaissance Albany Hotel for one night when I went to see Old Dominion at the Palace Theatre. Hotel was an easy 10 minutes walk to the venue. As a Marriott Platinum member, I received an upgrade to a deluxe room and breakfast vouchers for the following morning, which was delicious along with great service!

The hotel itself has a nostalgic ambiance but our room was modern and quite large with a sofa – flat screen smart TV that swivels so you can view from the bed or the sofa. Bed was super comfortable but awkward getting in and out as the mattress is in a wood/veneer box frame – I banged my knee a couple of times getting in and out. Bathroom was a good size as well with a large self contained shower.

I look forward to staying there again on my next road trip to Albany!

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear 67avidtraveler,

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Albany Hotel while in town for a concert at the Palace Theatre. We are happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and that you intend on returning to our hotel during your next visit to Albany. We hope to see you again soon!