“Staff were exceptional” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Albany
derry
“Staff were exceptional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

I stayed here to sit the Bar exam, the hotel was very clean and tidy and my stay was very pleasant with free wireless internet which was great. I would definitely recommend it for anyone staying to sit the Bar. the staff were exceptional, particularly Mansoor on the front desk, he went out of his way at all times to help us, which was a great help when dealing with exam stress. definitely worth a visit when in Albany.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SovereignHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you for your review! Our staff was thrilled to hear about your experience. See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

I stayed at the Best Western in Albany in February while i was sitting the NY bar exams. As you can imagine a stressfull time for anybody so the last thing i wanted was to deal with bad accomodation. But upon arrival the staff were nothing but friendly and showed me to my room straight away. I stayed in a queens size bedroom, it was very spacious, clean and had everything in it that you needed. There was a fan heater in the room too which i used to quickly heat up the room as it was freezing outside and found it very handy. The restaurant was lovely, i didnt leave the hotel to go anywhere else because it pretty much had everything. I really did enjoy my stay and the hotel staff did everything to accomodate you as best they could. And one last thing, the breakfast was nice and started early and went on till 10 so that was great. Really not a bad word to say about the hotel, I would go back there if i was to visit albany again, the location was perfect too.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! We're so glad you enjoyed our accommodations, especially our breakfast and restaurant.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

Originally, my friend and I were scheduled to stay in a different motel (which shall remain nameless). As soon as we arrived at our original destination we wanted to leave due to poor conditions. We called BEST Western and were immediately rescued by their amazing crew. They picked us up from the horrible motel, 20 minutes after we called them. As soon as we arrived at the Best Western we were treated like royalty! They accommodated every little request that we had, no questions asked! Eventually we wound up staying there for two weeks and had a GREAT time there!

We were there for the NY bar exam. Because we were treated so well, we recommended the hotel to friends who cancelled their reservations at the other (bad) motel, and joined me and my friend at the BEST Western.

I would like to especially acknowledge thanks for making our stay so delightful to the following people:

Mansoor Mustafa
Oumhany Taleb
Alyssa Pyle
Ellery Johnson

You guys rock!!!!

Thanks again (definitely will be coming back)

Shira :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank shira_11
SovereignHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Shira,

Thank you so much for letting us know about the experience you had. Our staff was very pleased to hear your kind words, and we are looking forward to your return to Albany.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

I am a foreigner and had hard time in selecting online an inexpensive and nice place for my stay in Albany during the bar exam. I found the Best Western Sovereign hotel and I should say that it is cheaper than other places but with very good conditions and friendly staff. I would definitely advice it, particularly for people who arrive from abroad and want to save money on the hotel. It has shuttle, provide good breakfast, friendly and cheap.

2 Thank zsxdcf9
SovereignHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Thank you for your kind words regarding our establishment. We strive very hard to ensure each guest's satisfaction. We hope to see you upon your return to the Albany area.
Chittenango NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

I've stayed here a number of times, and this time it appeared that the hotel was starting to slip. The rooms are serviceable, for the price they are actually fairly good. The room I stayed is in need of an update but the pile of 4 or 5 full trash bags in the hall turned me off. I hope they can turn it around.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Madison
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

I was visiting my elderly mother in Albany for a few weekday nights, and got a pretty good deal on a room here. I prefer more stars, but was trying to keep this trip low-budget. I had a beautiful room, quiet and recently updated. I did have problems staying connected to the wireless in the evening, as others have noted, but in the early mornings and afternoons, it worked fine. The breakfast had lots of choices, and was pleasant enough, since I didn't go when the crowds were there.

I enjoyed the bartender a great deal, and stayed to talk with him and other guests much longer than I normally would have. He was a great storyteller, and so were some of the other guests. It was nice to have an interlude with people in my age group after exhausting days with Mom.

I was on my way to my goddaughter's for a fancy dinner, and stopped in my room to shower and change. There was no hot water. The desk clerk called maintenance, but said that would take a while. She brought me up the key to the room next door, so I could shower in there. I opened the door, and there was a man in the room! Fortunately, he had a sense of humor, and was dressed. But how annoying......

I grabbed half my stuff and took it to my GD's house, where I had a lovely shower. I later found out that my aunt stayed at the Desmond, and SHE didn't have hot water, either. So I tried to laugh it off. When I went back the next morning, after spending the night at my GD's house, so I could be guaranteed a hot shower in the AM, my key no longer worked.

So, if you are a patient person, there are many benefits to staying at this hotel. Just don't expect perfection, or have a tight schedule, and it can work for you. I contacted them for a possible partial refund via Expedia, and I haven't heard anything.

Next time, I'll just stay elsewhere.........

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank kimbobb
SovereignHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and accommodations. It is very unfortunate that you had difficulties during your experience but I hope that you had a satisfying stay overall. Thanks again for your feedback.

Nusair Bawla
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

Several floors with easy access to elevators and well marked corridors make this easily accessible for all. Amennities are wonderful and well maitained. With hot breakfast included this is a great value!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family