“seems to be slipping”

Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I've stayed here a number of times, and this time it appeared that the hotel was starting to slip. The rooms are serviceable, for the price they are actually fairly good. The room I stayed is in need of an update but the pile of 4 or 5 full trash bags in the hall turned me off. I hope they can turn it around.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed December 6, 2010

I was visiting my elderly mother in Albany for a few weekday nights, and got a pretty good deal on a room here. I prefer more stars, but was trying to keep this trip low-budget. I had a beautiful room, quiet and recently updated. I did have problems staying connected to the wireless in the evening, as others have noted, but in the early mornings and afternoons, it worked fine. The breakfast had lots of choices, and was pleasant enough, since I didn't go when the crowds were there.

I enjoyed the bartender a great deal, and stayed to talk with him and other guests much longer than I normally would have. He was a great storyteller, and so were some of the other guests. It was nice to have an interlude with people in my age group after exhausting days with Mom.

I was on my way to my goddaughter's for a fancy dinner, and stopped in my room to shower and change. There was no hot water. The desk clerk called maintenance, but said that would take a while. She brought me up the key to the room next door, so I could shower in there. I opened the door, and there was a man in the room! Fortunately, he had a sense of humor, and was dressed. But how annoying......

I grabbed half my stuff and took it to my GD's house, where I had a lovely shower. I later found out that my aunt stayed at the Desmond, and SHE didn't have hot water, either. So I tried to laugh it off. When I went back the next morning, after spending the night at my GD's house, so I could be guaranteed a hot shower in the AM, my key no longer worked.

So, if you are a patient person, there are many benefits to staying at this hotel. Just don't expect perfection, or have a tight schedule, and it can work for you. I contacted them for a possible partial refund via Expedia, and I haven't heard anything.

Next time, I'll just stay elsewhere.........

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank kimbobb
SovereignHotel, General Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2010

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and accommodations. It is very unfortunate that you had difficulties during your experience but I hope that you had a satisfying stay overall. Thanks again for your feedback.

Nusair Bawla

Reviewed November 19, 2010

Several floors with easy access to elevators and well marked corridors make this easily accessible for all. Amennities are wonderful and well maitained. With hot breakfast included this is a great value!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2010

excellent location - close to restaurants and also shopping centers. The staff was very professional and courteous and helpful. The room was very clean and well supplied with towels etc. Especially loved the full breakfast the next day which was excellent. Good place to stay for a short visit - clean and quiet. The room, however, was a little small, but did contain a microwave, coffee pot with complimentary teas and coffee, small refrigerator, iron and ironing board. Woud surely recommend this place and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The staff was super nice and the hotel was very clean, but the bed was very hard(which some ppl like,) the hot breakfast wasn't so great the eggs were either overcooked or they had too much pepper and spice. They did have lots of cereals, pastries, and bread/bagels. The room with a king bed was sort of small but the fridge and microwave are a plus. Water pressure was amazing. The bar tender is awesome!! I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Entire staff was friendly, accommodating and professional. We really enjoyed the Indoor Pool and the water temp. was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
SovereignHotel, General Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

Thank you for your kind review! We are focused on the guest experience, and it is always a good feeling to hear from a satisfied customer.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights to attend a conference.
I reserved a room with a king bed but definitely not what we got. The bed was more like a small queen and when you laid on the bed, you would slide to the middle of the mattress. The mattress was not comfortable at all. You had to keep holding on to the sides of the bed to pull yourself back to the side.
The bathroom was in horrible condition. Ceiling tiles with holes, toilet seat looked like it hadn't been replaced since the last century, shower head with no water pressure and the exhaust fan was useless. There was a definite moldy smell in all the hallways which I believe may come from the pool.
Definitely needs updating and I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business