“Comfortable stay”

Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed July 25, 2007

My parents and I stayed at this hotel on July 23-25, 2007 for an event. I had booked my reservation on their website months ago and they honored my request for a ground floor room. They had also allowed us to check in 30 minutes early.

The room we had was clean and conveniently close to their indoor pool. The indoor pool had a nice ambience, surrounded with tall plants and had tables with mesh-type patio umbrellas. The pool's deepest end was supposedly 4'11" but really felt like around 5'1" (which is my height). Water is heated, allowing for comfortable night swimming.

Free breakfast vouchers are provided with your stay, however, receptionist did not give me enough vouchers because she did not verify if I had companions. I had to request for additional vouchers for the next two mornings.

Buffet-style breakfast in their restaurant had a variety of choices such as sausages, egg omelettes, cereals, bread, tots, sliced fruits, juice, etc. Waitresses pour you coffee upon request. At least two toasters are available to toast your bread.

TV reception for free channels look snowy, but we didn't mind.

Location is conveniently right across the State University of New York in Albany. Downtown Albany is accessible by their local bus line which passes by the street in front of the hotel.

On a minor note, was inconvenienced by non-working extra room key which the receptionist did promptly correct. The following day, said room key did not work again, but we were about to check out anyway so we didn't bother.

Overall, good service for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed July 13, 2007

We have stayed here to visit family often--at least twice a year. This past visit, we called to confirm from the highway and got an extremely rude receptionist. Also, I accidentally left some clothing items behind in the hotel room, but called the next day. They 'never found' them, but said they would check. I never got a call back. I know it's the guest's responsibility to pack everything up, but I think a 24-hour lost 'n found policy wouldn't hurt either; I was even willing to pay shipping fees. Rooms are usually under-cleaned, but the hotel's adequate--the best part being the location and hot breakfast.

Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Judging by previous reviews I can only say that the management have decided to make improvements.

No problem with the room or the hotel in general. Staff were helpful apart from the person who showed us to the table in the restaurant - the waitress apologised about him more than once.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank IanG001
Reviewed May 4, 2007

I certainly feel cheated.. my price was $ 100. my very first time using a certain internet purchasing site ..the place was old and very dirty, the armchair had not been vaccuumed forever ..and thank goodness the window opened a crack, as there was no way I would have turned on the air conditioner..entire place was just extremely dirty and worn ..very basic!! Breakfast was served by waitress from 4 choice set menu..and was just passable! I tried living dangerously and will not try again..

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BARBARA C
Reviewed May 3, 2007

I stayed at this Best Western because the location is good and because the reservations staff assured me that they had just put in new mattresses three months prior. Upon arrival, I found this to be false. I had two beds in my room, and neither were in their prime. One was springy and sagged in the middle, and the other was as hard as a rock. I tried other room's mattresses and found the beds to be in the same poor condition. Sadly, this wasn't the only "miscommunication" I had with the staff at this hotel.

We all know that there is a broad quality spectrum when it comes to Best Westerns. Some are quite nice -- much nicer than you would expect a Best Western to be, and some are basic but serviceable, and then... there are the others. This is one of the "others." The room I had was dark and really needed remodeling. It also wasn't as clean as it could have been... if you know what I mean. The coffee maker was broken. The wall-mounted hair dryer was so old that I was afraid to use it. The thin plastic shower curtain clung to my body as I attempted to shower. I could hear the constant screeching and revving of the cars in the parking lot below. The ac/heater was ancient and on the noisy side. Room service is sketchy - I had to call three times and let it ring forever before a weary man took my dinner order. Then it was 45 minutes before I received it - cold.

Despite the unsatisfactory condition of the room, my biggest problems were with the staff. One morning, I confirmed with the front desk staff that I could get a free shuttle from the airport back to the hotel. They said that was fine, as long as I called them 30 minutes beforehand. Guess what? I called 30 minutes beforehand, and they recanted, saying that the shuttle wasn't available. I am lucky that I had enough cash to pay for a cab to return. The manager "wasn't available", so I complained to her voicemail. I never received a call back from her.

The only good thing that I have to say about this hotel is that the free breakfast is very nice. It is served in the restaurant connected to the hotel - a defrocked Ground Round. You have a choice of using breakfast bar (donuts, bagels, fruit, cake, yogurt, cereal, juices), or ordering a couple different hot breakfasts (eggs, pancakes). I also ate here for lunch once and the food and service was good.

The bottom line? If you want to be comfortable, stay at the Day's Inn down the street.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Steamraise
Reviewed January 13, 2007

I didn't expect too much from this hotel as it was only $84 per night but if I were to return to Albany I would not stay there again. The check in process was very easy. Lobby is ok and is exactly what I was expecting. Upon first look the room was in ok condition. The bathroom was very clean (the cleanest part of the whole place). It wasn't until I turned down the sheets at night that I realized there were hairs in the sheets and on the pillow. As I was only staying one night and it was quite late I didn't call down to the front desk (although now I actually wish I had). I ended up sleeping on top of the sheet covered head to toe in clothing so as not to touch the sheets. My other problem with the cleanliness of the room was the heater/air conditioner. The vent was completely covered with dust. You could not even see into the vent. Absolutely disgusting. Although these were my only two complaints I feel that the cleanliness of a room is quite important and for that reason will definitly not be returning to the Best Western Sovereign.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank kewlgrl127
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Hotel was dirty, restaurant very slow. Could only book table at 8.30pm, on arrival was asked to wait 10mins. Had to ask again 20mins later about our table knowing other people had gone in. Service was very slow. Hotel needs updating, people expect a better standard.

• Stayed: September 2006