“Worst Western! Terrible staff, room” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany

BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Bermuda Dunes, California
“Worst Western! Terrible staff, room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2007

I stayed at this Best Western because the location is good and because the reservations staff assured me that they had just put in new mattresses three months prior. Upon arrival, I found this to be false. I had two beds in my room, and neither were in their prime. One was springy and sagged in the middle, and the other was as hard as a rock. I tried other room's mattresses and found the beds to be in the same poor condition. Sadly, this wasn't the only "miscommunication" I had with the staff at this hotel.

We all know that there is a broad quality spectrum when it comes to Best Westerns. Some are quite nice -- much nicer than you would expect a Best Western to be, and some are basic but serviceable, and then... there are the others. This is one of the "others." The room I had was dark and really needed remodeling. It also wasn't as clean as it could have been... if you know what I mean. The coffee maker was broken. The wall-mounted hair dryer was so old that I was afraid to use it. The thin plastic shower curtain clung to my body as I attempted to shower. I could hear the constant screeching and revving of the cars in the parking lot below. The ac/heater was ancient and on the noisy side. Room service is sketchy - I had to call three times and let it ring forever before a weary man took my dinner order. Then it was 45 minutes before I received it - cold.

Despite the unsatisfactory condition of the room, my biggest problems were with the staff. One morning, I confirmed with the front desk staff that I could get a free shuttle from the airport back to the hotel. They said that was fine, as long as I called them 30 minutes beforehand. Guess what? I called 30 minutes beforehand, and they recanted, saying that the shuttle wasn't available. I am lucky that I had enough cash to pay for a cab to return. The manager "wasn't available", so I complained to her voicemail. I never received a call back from her.

The only good thing that I have to say about this hotel is that the free breakfast is very nice. It is served in the restaurant connected to the hotel - a defrocked Ground Round. You have a choice of using breakfast bar (donuts, bagels, fruit, cake, yogurt, cereal, juices), or ordering a couple different hot breakfasts (eggs, pancakes). I also ate here for lunch once and the food and service was good.

The bottom line? If you want to be comfortable, stay at the Day's Inn down the street.

• Liked — The breakfast, location
  • Disliked — The clueless rude staff. The mattress
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Steamraise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Scarsdale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

I didn't expect too much from this hotel as it was only $84 per night but if I were to return to Albany I would not stay there again. The check in process was very easy. Lobby is ok and is exactly what I was expecting. Upon first look the room was in ok condition. The bathroom was very clean (the cleanest part of the whole place). It wasn't until I turned down the sheets at night that I realized there were hairs in the sheets and on the pillow. As I was only staying one night and it was quite late I didn't call down to the front desk (although now I actually wish I had). I ended up sleeping on top of the sheet covered head to toe in clothing so as not to touch the sheets. My other problem with the cleanliness of the room was the heater/air conditioner. The vent was completely covered with dust. You could not even see into the vent. Absolutely disgusting. Although these were my only two complaints I feel that the cleanliness of a room is quite important and for that reason will definitly not be returning to the Best Western Sovereign.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kewlgrl127
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

Hotel was dirty, restaurant very slow. Could only book table at 8.30pm, on arrival was asked to wait 10mins. Had to ask again 20mins later about our table knowing other people had gone in. Service was very slow. Hotel needs updating, people expect a better standard.

• Stayed September 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

I can’t say my experience was a “bad” one but it was not enjoyable either. As far as location goes, it was close to a friend I was visiting and close to Crossgates Mall. However, my room was dirty and the noise was atrocious. I understand there was a wedding party staying here on all sides of us, but you would think people would have more consideration for others as far as shouting at 2:00am and letting a small child cry in front of my door at the top of her lungs for an hour straight with no parents around anywhere. People were literally lying in the halls for god knows what reason? There was no vending machine on the second floor. The back of the toilet was half missing. There were candy wrappers all in the bottom of the closet and the shower still had dirt in it and had obviously not been cleaned. I don’t even think the elevator was working. I suppose the price was reasonable, but I was happy to only be spending one night.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Quebec
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2006

Stayed overnight at this property on 01/19/2006. Wasn't too impressed but it was the closest property to Crossgates Mall. Problems started when my husband requested 3 extra pillows and was told that per the managers' rules only 2 could be given. Had to have the clerk contact the manager to bend the rule. Top of toilet was missing and replaced with a plastic tray which was full of dust and pubic hair. Laminated welcome page placed on bed was filthy--with old food stuck on it and spilled "something" with dust and hair stuck in it. Rug was filthy. No hot water in tub, no swimming pool as described--not working, ice in ice machine was stained brown. Could not recommend this property under any circumstances.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank fuzzyeti
boston, ma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2005

My husband and I selected this supposedly 3 star hotel because they accepted dogs. When we arrived and parked the car, we noticed the complete lack of grass anywhere around the hotel. Not only that, but the parking lot was dimly lit and right next to a sleazy motel.
Even though we reserved a first floor room ahead of time (because of our puppy) we were told we had to take the third floor because an elderly group took the entire first and second floors. This should have never happened since we even double checked to make sure we would be on the first floor. Corridors and elevator were horrible. The room was old and very tiny. I usually like Best Western but this one, which used to be a Ramada, is badly in need of repair. We tried to walk the puppy around the three feet of grass outside and then decided to leave.
NOTE: if you have dogs don't stay here. Go to the Residence Inn by Marriott in Latham, excellent rooms.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Kristimoo
Binghamton, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2005

My parents have stayed at this hotel for years as a Ramada before it became a Best Western. They raved about it so I went in with high hopes. I was a little disappointed. The corridors and the rooms are outdated. The shower was probably the lowest I've ever seen; I'm only 5'10" and I was ducking to get my hair wet. But overall, the place really was not too bad. The pool (which I didnt use but had a view of from my room) was in a covered courtyard, giving the appearence that it was outdoor but really indoor. The breakfast was supurb for a Best Western and the staff was reasonably friendly and helpful. The campus is also very convenient for UAlbany, which is why I stayed there. It is also very close to the Crossgates Mall, which has a Bugaboo Creek, TGI Fridays, Hoolihans, Hooters, and Unos Pizzeria if you don't like the Ground Round in the hotel. If the rate is good I would recommend it. I wouldnt pay much over $100 a night, if your paying that much look at the Courtyard by Marriott on the other side of campus.

• Stayed August 2005