“Wonderful & Professional”

Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I attended my cousin's wedding reception at Best Western Sovereign Hotel and stayed the night. The reception was absolutely beautiful and the wedding director and other staff were professional and attended to our every need. Kudos to the chef because the food was fresh and delicious.

Our room that night was very comfortable and even though the hotel was full (I guess there was a concert that weekend in Albany) we were able to sleep through out the night without any disturbances at all. The breakfast staff were busy but very helpfull and cheerful.

Thanks to everyone at Best Western!!

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TophBear
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed October 27, 2009

This is not one of the nicer Best Westerns. Although they have a whole restaurant dedicated to their free breakfast and it's available other times, the hotel is older, the elevators small (the back one is a bit scary), and rooms tight. I believe they renovated the inside of the elevators but the rest of the hotel gives much to be desired. Amenities same sentiment (little "closet" space; hair dryer weak; shower weak)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Have to say we love this place but this time the room was not so nice.
No fault to the hotel but to a customer.
I have to say the room we had was vandelized. Who ever did the damage
should be very ashamed of themselves.
We think if others would take care of things in their room
the hotel wouldnt be going down in things. This hotel is great over so many
others in the area. I have stayed at others and comparing this one is
GREAT,its very helpful, right there when you need something. Breakfast is
one thing everyone should tip on due to where can one eat so cheap and get
a great full course meal. I would suggest more pillows to the beds maybe a decorated pillow to make it more nicer.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2009

My other half and I stayed at this hotel for one night only (thank goodness!). We did have a lovely welcome from the hotel management with wine and cheese (as a tour party) and I thought it was a lovely touch by the management.

To be fair, the bed was clean and the bathroom was clean but I wasn't impressed with the extractor cover falling from the ceiling - I didn't even bother to have a shower because of that. When the toilet was flushed the top of the cistern came up and hit a shelf above it.
The air con unit was extremely noisy and couldn't be used unless you planned on staying awake all night to listen to it.

We had a meal in the restaurant which wasn't very good. My chicken was cremated at the bottom and so dried out on the top I wondered how long it had been laying around the kitchen. However the soup I had as a starter was lovely. My husband asked for his steak tips to be medium and they arrived well done.

The worst thing was the barmaid who was extremely rude to us. It may serve her well to remember that without tourists she doesn't have a job. I could see she was under the weather with a bad throat and I initially felt sorry for her but after her throwing her bag around and trying to close the bar at just after 9:00 she lost my sympathy I'm afraid.

She served drinks in a way that was rude, disrespectful and we felt we shouldn't even be there and as it was such a great effort for her to serve us. Some friends of hers arrived around 9:45 I believe it was and she was huddled over with them complaining and moaning that she still had to work. In my opinion if she was that sick she should have phoned in and stayed home and the hotel should have arranged someone to cover for her. We've all been ill and had to work but she was beyond a joke and anyone will tell you that you don't take your personal problems out on your clients/customers!

She did inform us there was a bar down the road if we wanted to have another drink and this was before 10:00 pm! She got her way and we were dismissed just after 10:00.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I visited this hotel with some colleagues and my room was very nice. Flat screen TV, fridge, new everything. Overall a nice hotel with a little character. My co-workers did not have as nice a room, and when they asked to be moved they were told the hotel renovations are ongoing and not all the rooms had been upgraded yet.

Meeting rooms were nice and the breakfast was great.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Generally the two night stay was okay. The room was clean, but quite small and seemed worn. The room would benefit from renovation - painting, new bedding, and an updated bathroom. The bed, however, was very comfortable. The air conditioner worked well. There is only one small elevator, and since the hotel was full during this stay there was often a wait. The staff were pleasant and accomodating. A free full breakfast was offered each morning in a nice dining room. Overall the hotel is a good value for the price, but it needs upgraded rooms to keep pace with the newer budget hotel chains.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2009

My German Shepherd , My 16 yr old daughter and myself stayed here for 3 nights.
The room was HUGE,( be sure to ask for a Re-Furbished pet room.)
The front desk staff was cordial, the house keeping staff was very pleasant. honoring my request to Not service the room, as I had it organized as I wanted it, but were prompt in providing the few items I requested.
The food at the 1228 Grill was wonderful.. (chicken alfredo..Mmmm!)
The continental breakfast was warm, tasty and filling, although a little variety for those of us staying more than 1 night might be nice. The kitchen help was gracious with our daily request for chocolate milk
The pool was relaxing and warm and clean.
The hotel is easy to find, close to 2 malls, near the colleges...
Although some guests seem to be uncomfortable at night, I had no fears taking Kolby for his nightly walk.
I'd move right in if I could !
Fellow pet owners.. PLEASE show respect when you visit this hotel, so that it continues to allow pets !
Bring a well groomed, well behaved pet and keep the hotel room and outdoor areas clean.
Be sure to thank the management for allowing pets when you check out.
Enjoy your stay at the Albany Best Western Soverign Hotel.. tell them Kolby, the German Shepherd , sent you!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family