“Great for a last minute overnight”

Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Trapped in Albany due to snow I checked in to avoid highway travel. Clean, friendly. Worked out, microwaved my dinner in the room, enjoyed a bottle of wine I brought with me. Clean and comfortable. For under 80 bucks a great find. Looking forward to the complimentary breakfast and coffe in the AM.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Just needed a place to stay over night and this ended up being a great deal for the price and condition of my room. Very nice and tidy, clean. Simple, all I needed for a place to crash. The guy at the front desk at night, "Bobby" I believe his name tag said, was great. Offered me a bottle of water, and I was in need for a #2 pencil and he went out of his way to find one. Extremely nice employee!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last night because he had to take a state exam at the corrections academy. In spite of the low price ($70 Internet booking rate), I was nervous to stay here because it had been reviewed very poorly on Google. We checked in around midnight and the staff in the lobby was wonderful, helpful and welcoming. We were given complimentary bottled water. The lobby was clean and looked like your typical hotel lobby. The elevators were nothing fancy, but worked fine. When we got to our room, I was amazed at how nice it was for a $70 hotel. The bed had all white SPOTLESS linens. Everything was impeccably clean. There was a huge flat screen TV, a mini fridge and a microwave, as well as a coffee pot, ironing board and iron and free wi-fi. The bathroom had been recently re-done and was very nice. I liked the showere head. The water pressure was OK, but not great. Towels, washcloths and pillows were plentiful and fluffy. We had a king sized bed, and I found the mattress to be kind of hard, but I like a shoft bed. My husband liked the mattress. We didn't use the pool, but I checked it out and it looked nice. Nothing fancy, but nice. I've stayed at a lot of places over the years, and have paid much more for much worse. Overall, this hotel is great if you are looking for a clean comfortable night's rest without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were trapped in Albany due to a snowstorm. So, at the last minute, we booked this hotel from priceline. The hotel is a little older than the typical 2.5* hotel/motels. But I was pleasantly surprised at a number of things.
- At check-in, we were offered free cookies and bottled water.
- The swimming pool is very warm, around 90F. It's really nice on a day that 0F degree outside.
- The bathroom/shower next to the pool has a sauna in it.

The breakfast is in the restaurant. The food is ok, typical for this type of hotel. The seating is nice and plenty.

The downside are
- There is only 1 elevator. On busy days, it could take quite a wait.
- Heating is by a window unit, so on a really cold day, it needs to work throughout the night and does make some noise. But this is true for most hotels that don't have central air/heating.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Considering the fact that almost all of the hotels in albany are expensive. This hotel give you great comfort, cleanliness and nice staff for a low price. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who just needs a night or two to stay. Could also be nice for kids since they have a indoor pool!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We frequently visit the Albany area but this was the first time we stayed at this hotel. Front desk staff was exceedingly warm and welcoming.We were immediately struck by how clean the lobby was. Our room was comfortable and clean with all the usual amenities. Hotel prices vary according to season but the rate quoted for this stay was very competitive.
A word of caution regarding the restaurant in the hotel. Sadly the restaurant which is not owned by the hotel (in fact you cannot charge your meal tab to your room) is terrible. The meal I received was not what I ordered and was inedible. "The coffee machine was broken" so i could not even get a cup of coffee. The last straw was ,"we are having computer trouble, so the amount that appears on your bill is not what we charged"
The restaurant is not on the level of the hotel and damages the reputation of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We spent two nights at the hotel on a visit to Albany. It was a decent place to stay. The staff was friendly and greeted us with complimentary water and cookies when we arrived. There is a complimentary coffee and tea service in the lobby which is nice. The continental breakfast is plentiful. You can even make your own waffles.

Room Tip: The halls are long, so it good to be near an elevator.