“oct.16,2013” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Albany
China
“oct.16,2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Very good. I like this hotel. I think I have stayed here for at least three times in the past two years and will continue to stay there in the next two months. I will come to Albany in Dec. this year.

1 Thank Dejun C
jareddemo1, Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dejun,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience from your recent stay at the Best Western Sovereign Hotel. We can not thank you enough for choosing our hotel as your home away from home when visiting the city of Albany. If there is anything we can do to make you feel more at home please let us know. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit!

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Baden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at other best western hotels, maybe i unconsciously compare this with the rest. This one is quite disappointing. As many other commented, the wall insulation obviously needs a fix. I can hear the man next room talking on d phone, and even d other end of d phone..maybe he's on speaker but I'm not exaggerating. I could hear his snoring whole night and doors slamming from time to time. The ventilation fans in the toilet is so loud and maybe old. The compressor of the fridge is another noise generating monster! Thank god I'm still jetlag and could sleep deeply despite all noises! The breakfast is a letdown. Basic and decent but not the best to kickstart a day if you are a business traveller. But with such price, I guess that's what I should expect.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
jareddemo1, Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I would like to take this time to thank you for your opinion of our hotel from your recent experience. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We will do everything we can to correct any issues you have presented to be sure our customers are taken care of in the future. I do hope you give us a chance to show you we can do better!

Travel safe,

Cuse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stay at this hotel whenever I'm in the area because the staff is always so friendly. I'll travel an extra few miles just ot stay at here because I know they'll remember me and treat me right. Many nice restaurants in the area as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank raccarin
Ontario, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

was a very nice hotel, clean, pleasant and the staff was very personable. beds are comfortable, rates were very good compared to all the other hotels in the area, stayed for school conference so the are was busy

1 Thank Shelly Q
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed for one night driving back from Niagara and had the best nights sleep a fab bed and very friendly staff would definitely recommend this hotel good location as well. Easy to find from the I 90. The bar man was a very friendly person and made the atmosphere a good one to relax in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank 64anitah
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The room was nice with an armchair and lots of plugs at the desk for recharging things. It was a bit small for two people but had everything we needed, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was pretty good too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank TheWisslers
jareddemo1, Manager at BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Wisslers,

Thank you for sharing the kind words about your recent stay with us at the Best Western Sovereign. If you are planning a trip to Albany again soon do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and we can make sure you find a room you are able to be more comfortable in. I will pass your compliments to our chef regarding breakfast to be sure he is keeping up the good work! We look forward to serving you again in the future.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Second time I've visited this hotel. They advertise a shuttle that will pick you up - when I arrived at the train station I was told it would be "at least" 30 minutes. Since I had come for a meeting that had already started I took a cab - $30. Warm welcome - cookie and a bottle of water. Room was nice - fridge and microwave, small but compact, really comfortable bed. BUT - obviously unvacuumed area by the window, towel from a previous occupant hanging on the bathroom door, and when the air compressor outside the window kicked in, the volume on the tv pretty much had to double if you wanted to hear the sound.

The facility looks worn. HEAVY chlorine smell in the indoor pool, nice but very small and limited exercise area (when was the last time you were in an exercise room without a clock on the wall?). Food however is very good. Breakfast is included - probably the best free breakfast I have come across, and I travel a lot. Box lunches were adequate, and the food at the closing banquet was much better than the service - surly and amateur waitresses. And a raw baked potato, although once we got the attention of the waitress - not easy - it was quickly replaced. The regular dessert was a rich and slightly grainy cheesecake. The promised diabetic dessert - after informing the waitress that such a thing existed - was a plastic ersatz jello cup plunked unceremoniously down on the tablecloth with a packet of sugar free cookies. No plate. Just plunk. They have coffee and pastries in the lobby pretty much throughout the day, and lots of information about things to do and what to see in the area. The business center is good, open 24/7 and nicely configured.

The wifi service was better than the last visit although the vital information about logging in was not included in the information in the room. A trip to the desk cleared it up - but it involved a trip to the desk. Again - nice people, but if the service preparation had been better, they would not have had to work so hard at the desk.

It wasn't awful - but it does seem that with a little effort it could have easily been a whole lot better.

Room Tip: Only thing I can suggest is go to the room and sit in it for a while before unpacking.