“Great for an overnight or weekend stay”

Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Albany
upstate new york
“Great for an overnight or weekend stay”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night as a stop-over.
The lobby is bright and inviting. Very nice first impression. I checked in without incident, and was given the option of complimentary water bottles and fresh cookies. Complimentary newspapers were available. The staff was very accommodating and polite.
I was given a room with a king-size bed on the 2nd floor. It was a wonderful room, clean, comfy, and amenities (microwave, coffee maker, mini-fridge, hair dryer, complimentary toiletries) were good. The bathroom is somewhat small, but certainly adequate for a one-night stay. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets and towels were soft. NO kLEENEX!!!! I looked all over! I found that to be strange, but never the less, the room was fine!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
Syracuse
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My recent stay at this hotel was only slightly above average. The rooms are a little cramped but adequate. Bedding was comfortable but the sheets kept coming off my king-sized bed. The bathroom was decent and had a magnifying mirror which could be mounted a bit lower. The hair-dryer is average/below average. Admittedly, pricing is excellent at this location which is about 4 miles from downtown Albany. When I arrived, there was all sorts of renovation equipment in the corridor which was finally removed. Additionally, I had planned to use the on-site restaurant for dinner but discovered it is not open on Sunday nights. Their website proclaims, "The 1228 Grill & Bar, on premises, Full Service, American, Open for: breakfast, lunch, dinner, open from 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m." without ANY information that there are times it is closed. The on-site breakfast buffet was good and provided hot food options along with fresh fruit. I haven't decided whether I'll go back.

Room Tip: I'd recommend inquiring whether you'll be on a floor undergoing renovations.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jareddemo1, Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Our friend in Syracuse,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel with us on Trip Advisor. You certainly are an avid traveler and I see you travel to Albany often. It is always great to get feedback from someone who has explored the city a few times. I am glad you found our hotel to hold such great value for the price as well. We were going through some minor updates to our bathrooms which is the equipment you had experienced in your review. We also have other improvements we are rolling out in the near future. I hope you give us the chance to show you the changes we have been making when you are in Albany again.

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2013

What a delightful hotel! It is an older building, extremely well maintained and immaculately clean. The staff was very welcoming and pleasant. The bartender remembered many of his guests and their drink preference when they walked in - a welcome sight at the end of a long day! Updated digital heat/AC unit provided great response to Central NY's ever changing weather (50 degrees in the morning, snow at night). Microwave, refrigerator, and high quality wireless signal in the room were very convenient. The only thing I would change is to update the bedding to the pillowtop mattresses most hotels are using now and the TV to a flat screen. Given the high attention to quality and detail here, I would bet these are coming soon. The hotel evokes memories of a 1950's-era downtown hotel and is a nice change from cookie-cutter chain motels. I am already looking forward to my next visit here.

Room Tip: The rooms all seemed to be very quiet and well kept. No outside or hallway noise at all.
Albany, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the entire month of December and half of January. The bed was very comfortable, the room had a fridge, and it was actually a pretty nice view from the 4th floor. However, by far the best aspect of this hotel is the customer service. Literally every member of the staff I interacted with was very kind and helpful. One day I missed a bus downtown which in turn would have made me miss a bus connection to NYC. But someone from the front desk shuttled me downtown.

Though this was a big favor, the little things also made my stay great. Every time I returned to the hotel after a day of work I was greeted at the front desk with a smile and a massive cookie. Some mornings I would use the Belgian waffle maker at the free breakfast (which is high quality with a large selection of breakfast items). When I forgot to take my waffle out on time, a staff member rushed over and removed it so it wouldn't get burned. If I ever return to Albany, I will certainly be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell no rooms were better or worse than any other.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed 1 night so we an shop at Crossgates Mall.
Kids made good use of the pool.
Bed was comfy, breakfast was good.
Waffles was a hit for the kids.
Check in and check out was very smooth.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jareddemo1, Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Amy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am very happy that your children had the chance to enjoy our indoor heated pool as well as you got the chance to enjoy the hot breakfast buffet. I hope you found everything you were looking for at Crossgates Mall. Next time you are in town and in the mood to shop there are some outlet stores just up the Northway (I87N) in Lake George as well as in Lee, Mass. (I90 east) I am certain you would enjoy as well. I hope we get the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the future!

watertown, ct
Reviewed December 26, 2012

we stayed at this hotel for Christmas Eve. I booked the hotel for a good price thru Southwest Airlines to get the rapid rewards. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly.

The room was very clean and the kind size bed was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was a little outdated but clean. The breakfast was not that bad either especially because it was included inthe price of the room. It had a waffle maker, toast, scrambled eggs and hash, coffee and many juices along with muffins and english muffins. it is centrally located and close to restaurants and shopping. I have stayed here before and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carol,

Thank you for visiting us from Connecticut! I am very happy to read your review of our hotel. I am glad you found a great deal with your Southwest Rapid Rewards points! If you are ever in the area and are low on points feel free to contact the hotel directly and I will help you find the best rate possible! Also I am very pleased to inform you of some changes that we are going through. We are in the process of updating all of our guest bathrooms. I am very certain you will love the new look. I hope you stop in and see the changes we made when you are in the area again. Have a great day!!