“A hidden gem of a hotel”

Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Syracuse, New York
“A hidden gem of a hotel”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

What a delightful hotel! It is an older building, extremely well maintained and immaculately clean. The staff was very welcoming and pleasant. The bartender remembered many of his guests and their drink preference when they walked in - a welcome sight at the end of a long day! Updated digital heat/AC unit provided great response to Central NY's ever changing weather (50 degrees in the morning, snow at night). Microwave, refrigerator, and high quality wireless signal in the room were very convenient. The only thing I would change is to update the bedding to the pillowtop mattresses most hotels are using now and the TV to a flat screen. Given the high attention to quality and detail here, I would bet these are coming soon. The hotel evokes memories of a 1950's-era downtown hotel and is a nice change from cookie-cutter chain motels. I am already looking forward to my next visit here.

Room Tip: The rooms all seemed to be very quiet and well kept. No outside or hallway noise at all.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Albany, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the entire month of December and half of January. The bed was very comfortable, the room had a fridge, and it was actually a pretty nice view from the 4th floor. However, by far the best aspect of this hotel is the customer service. Literally every member of the staff I interacted with was very kind and helpful. One day I missed a bus downtown which in turn would have made me miss a bus connection to NYC. But someone from the front desk shuttled me downtown.

Though this was a big favor, the little things also made my stay great. Every time I returned to the hotel after a day of work I was greeted at the front desk with a smile and a massive cookie. Some mornings I would use the Belgian waffle maker at the free breakfast (which is high quality with a large selection of breakfast items). When I forgot to take my waffle out on time, a staff member rushed over and removed it so it wouldn't get burned. If I ever return to Albany, I will certainly be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell no rooms were better or worse than any other.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed 1 night so we an shop at Crossgates Mall.
Kids made good use of the pool.
Bed was comfy, breakfast was good.
Waffles was a hit for the kids.
Check in and check out was very smooth.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jareddemo1, Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Amy,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am very happy that your children had the chance to enjoy our indoor heated pool as well as you got the chance to enjoy the hot breakfast buffet. I hope you found everything you were looking for at Crossgates Mall. Next time you are in town and in the mood to shop there are some outlet stores just up the Northway (I87N) in Lake George as well as in Lee, Mass. (I90 east) I am certain you would enjoy as well. I hope we get the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the future!

watertown, ct
Reviewed December 26, 2012

we stayed at this hotel for Christmas Eve. I booked the hotel for a good price thru Southwest Airlines to get the rapid rewards. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly.

The room was very clean and the kind size bed was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was a little outdated but clean. The breakfast was not that bad either especially because it was included inthe price of the room. It had a waffle maker, toast, scrambled eggs and hash, coffee and many juices along with muffins and english muffins. it is centrally located and close to restaurants and shopping. I have stayed here before and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carol,

Thank you for visiting us from Connecticut! I am very happy to read your review of our hotel. I am glad you found a great deal with your Southwest Rapid Rewards points! If you are ever in the area and are low on points feel free to contact the hotel directly and I will help you find the best rate possible! Also I am very pleased to inform you of some changes that we are going through. We are in the process of updating all of our guest bathrooms. I am very certain you will love the new look. I hope you stop in and see the changes we made when you are in the area again. Have a great day!!

Lincoln, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Extremely pleasant stay. Clean. Comfortable. Great staff. Breakfast worth spending time eating(fresh fruit salad, waffles, quality coffee). Terrific desk staff(with a shout out to Paul). Nice pool. Bar and restaurant casual and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Thomas T
Portland, Maine
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Booked and paid for a King room while traveling cross country with my girlfriend, then after we arrived we were "upgraded" to a room with two double beds since they had overbooked their king rooms. When I pointed out that this wasn't an upgrade as the room was the same price as a king room, and certainly wasn't what we wanted, the lady servicing the front desk said "Well, ..." That's it. No explanation, no price reduction, not even a complete sentence. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice hotel with above average amenities, but the service I received was on par with an hourly motel in the slums, not what I would expect from a Best Western Sovereign in the capital of New York. I hope other travelers have better luck here than we have.

Room Tip: Call to confirm they have the room before booking.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank feanormastercrafter
To our friend up in Maine,

I am truly sorry the room type you had reserved was unavailable at the time of your arrival. It is unacceptable in any case! More over I would like to apologize for the lack of an explanation and empathy about the mistake that was made. It is not acceptable and I will be sure to relay your experience with my entire desk staff so they are better prepared for the future. I am glad that your overall experience at the hotel was pleasant and you found our hotel comfortable and clean. I hope you give us a chance to exceed your expectations in the future.