“One night stay”

Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Canada
“One night stay”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed here one night, room clean, quiet as we where sharing a room with my mom we only had 2 double beds has been a while since hubby & I shared a double did not like it too small everytime I rolled over I kept hitting him lol otherwise bed was great lol. Front dest staff very friendly our only complaint was where they advised us to eat why they did not tell us about the restaurnt on site we do not know so we figured it was either closed or bad turned out the one they did tell us to go to was awful so do not go to the one just down the street (walking distance) food awful. We did have a drink in the restaurant/bar on site after we had ate and found out it was open food looked great, bar tender said the food was good, so eat there.. Hotel in a good location just minutes off the I-90/I-87 easy to find across the road from the college met a few parents who where getting their kids settled in for their 1st year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
jareddemo1, Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Vickinca,

I am glad to hear your stay with us went well while you were in town dropping off your student. Being located directly across the street from campus, we get lots of parents that we get to know through out their students four years at the campus. We cant wait to have you back for the many parent's weekends, events and graduation. Enjoy the experience and if there is anything we can do to make it more memorable do not hesitate to ask.

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Batavia, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My elderly parents and I spent a week traveling through the Northeast. We were so pleased with our stay at this hotel that we decided to book another reservation on the way home. From the receptionist to the staff in the restaurant we were impressed with their helpful, friendly manner. The rooms were marvelously clean and comfortable. We traveled with a pet and found this hotel accommodating to our request for a non-smoking room. The breakfast was outstanding! Undoubtedly, this is the place to come if you are in the area. Val P.

Room Tip: Just ask! Rooms are conveniently located to the ample parking.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Val,

Thank you for such great feedback from your recent stay with us in Albany. Whether passing through or staying long term we aim to create a comfortable and clean experience for all our guests. I will be sure to share your kind words will my staff so they know to keep up the good work. We hope to see you again soon when traveling through the area!

Safe Travels,

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My original review of this hotel was posted by trip advisor, then removed, because this hotel has an issue that is apparently not allowed to be discussed on trip advisor. That being said, I would strongly advise guests to do research about this hotel beyond trip advisor to be able to get more fair and balanced information about the hotel. My story starts with my arrival on a Sunday night, when I pulled off the main thoroughfare into the potholed and congested parking lot of this very old and ramshackle looking hotel. My initial fears were put at ease by a speedy and professional check in, but things fell apart very quickly. Upon walking out of the elevator I was approached by a crazy man who said he has been living in the hotel. I opened my door to the stench of cigarette smoke and stale cleaning chemicals. The bathroom floor was covered in a black substance and the air conditioning had limited effectiveness. As the night went on, several tractor trailers gathered in the lot and began idling very loudly. The roar was deafening all night and the room filled with the smell of diesel fumes. The walls and windows were very thin and did little to quiet the noise from outside. Breakfast the next morning was terrible, and uninspired. Some members of hotel staff were less than friendly. Ultimately, staying at this hotel was a mistake that will not be repeated by myself.

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank Matt R
Dear Matt,

I apologize your experience was anything short of satisfactory. I am sorry if any noises from the parking lot made your night restless. I have made sure the desk is aware of the issue you encountered so it is not repeated in the future. Also we inspect our rooms multiple times to be sure all our guests receive a clean and comfortable room. We are going through many updates in our guest rooms as well as public areas in order to provide each guest with the great experience they deserve! If your travels bring you back to this area again please contact me directly at the hotel and I would love to go over any further issues you may have as well as show you the updates we've completed!

Travel Safe!

Maine
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Very friendly receptionists when checking in. The room was on the smaller side. I booked 2 rooms, and each room was the same size/configuration. I like staying here because it is convenient to the Northway and Thruway. The pool is nice. The breakfast is a nice offering of hot foods, juice, coffee. The remote control did not work. Had to unscrew the light bulb to turn off the light since the switch did not work. Hallways have stale odor. Minor maintenance details would be very rewarding to the guests. But the sheets and towels were clean, king size bed very comfortable, rooms were quiet, good location, friendly service outweighs the maintenance stuff . Good value overall.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is the only totally non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed one night on the way though Albany and the Best Western served its purpose well as a road trip bed. Unknowingly we were booked into a smoking room (i had no idea these still existed). I'd recommend making sure you get nonsmoking. Took some time with the window open and fan on but it was liveable. Great breakfast for a free hotel breakfast. Waffles, eggs, sausage, pastry, cereal, and juice.

Room Tip: Make sure you get non-smoking.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We were two couples, in two King rooms for one night. The front desk was staffed by a man who was very welcoming and helpful. (Even cleaning staff we encountered in the hallway both days were friendly and welcoming.)

Although it's an older hotel, as others have stated, the rooms have been refurbished very recently. So the furniture, bedding, curtains, etc. were all brand new and good quality. It was handy to have a refrigerator.

You can see the evidence of the property's age in the small cracks and yellowing in the bathroom ceiling, for example, but the rooms were very clean and we were comfortable. We had to call down after noticing our room had no bath towels, but it was quickly remedied by a trip to the main desk.

The pool was nice and underused, and we enjoyed a dip.

The breakfast was good for a hotel of this quality-- Belgian waffles seemed to be quite popular. I had scrambled eggs (which tasted like powdered -- yuck) but sausages were good, and the were a good variety of cereals, breeds, etc. You can do a lot worse.

The location is near the thruway-- my group was passing through and found it handy-- but also near the University of Albany campus.

I want to put in a plug for the Across the Street pub which was not in fact across the street but three doors down, so an easy walk across two parking lots. Just walk towards Dunkin' Donuts. Across the Street looks like a typical sports pub/restaurant. However, it was not loud and the food was of a very high quality. Our group had tasty chicken tenders, which were unusually well prepared, burgers, with handcut fries or homemade potato chips, and broiled tilapia. The prices were excellent, and the waitress was phenomenal. For some reason even the beer on tap was fresher and tastier than most places. So check this lace out if you want a casual inexpensive meal for a family, couple, or group.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank KateinLIC
jareddemo1, Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Katein,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your great experience at our hotel with us and our friends at Trip Advisor. We are proud that you got to enjoy the amenities we offer such as our full hot breakfast buffet, free wi-fi, on-site fitness center, indoor pool, business center and on site restaurant as well as our amazing location! We hope to see you on your next visit to Albany!

Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed August 16, 2012

So despite the mixed reviews from other people my daughter and I decided to book an overnight stay while looking at colleges. Let me say how dissappointed we were with our stay, yes it is clean and affordable which is important but that's not all that makes a hotel. We arrived checked into our room after being on the road for more than 12 hours driving. We headed out to dinner and upon returning and getting ready for bed we heard very loud music and yelling that sounded as though it was coming from the room next door. After a few minutes I discovered that it was infact coming from what seemed to be a tailgate type party in the back parking lot of the hotel. I called down to the staff and asked them if they could please go out and speak with the individual as both my daughter and I wanted to turn in for the evening and the music and noise was keeping us from doing so. I was told they would address this right away. After quite some time the noise continued with no stop and I phoned down again to the front desk asking if they had sent anyone yet and the response was.....oh, didn't it stop? I told them no and asked if they couldn't address the situation could we just be moved to a different room. I was told the manager would take care of it immediately and not to worry. After a quite considerable amount of time again with no end to the music I went down to the front desk and asked in person if we could move our room. They were again surprised the music hadn't stopped, frankly I am not sure why they didn't ask the people to leave the premise. When they offered us a new room several floors up I questioned the choice saying it seemed as though it was in the same hallway facing the same parking lot with the only difference being that we were now several more floors up. I was told the bldg was in a W shape and that we'd be facing the front of the bldg. So up to our room I went, we packed up all our belongings and traveled up two floors to our new room only to discover just as I had thought that we were in the same location just a few floors up. The only difference WE WERE NOW CLOSER to the noise and music! I called yet again and was greeted by a surprise that we could still hear the music even better than before. I was told they would call the police and it would be taken care of. My response was that I didn't want to wait and that we wanted to be moved to the other side of the bldg. I was told to wait in our room and they would send someone up with new room keys to help us carry our luggage and direct us to our room By this time lets say I was frustrated and exhausted. We waited over 15 mins with no one arriving to help us so we headed downstairs to the front desk and this time were greeted with OOPS, YOU BEAT US TO IT!
All I wanted to say was "WHAT???"
Not only had they not even worked on assigning us a new room, they had asked a fellow guest to go and ask the people in the parking lot to quiet down. While we were standing there waiting for our 3rd room assignment the guest came back in to ask the front desk to call the police because the people in the parking lot refused to quiet down, were drinking heavily and had threated to punch the man!

I was speechless. At this point the young lady again found us a new room and escorted us up to our room to make sure we had not additional issues. This room was on the interior side of the bldg and we did stay but the rest of our night was horrible, By the time I settled in and fell asleep I only got a few hours sleep and we were not offered any other means of rectifying what had been a horrible beginning to our stay. I would have just checked out and found another place to stay had my daughter not been feeling well and had we not already been on the road for 12 hours and by the time things were taken care of it was extremely late.

I understand that there can be problems no matter where you stay but I also believe it is about rectifying things with great customer service and the fact is they were extremely unattentive in resolving this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jareddemo1, Manager at Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Krysti,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the experience you had while staying at our hotel. It certainly is not normal for this type of situation to occur. I have spoken to my entire staff, we are using this as an opportunity to retrain and we are now be better prepared for the future. Please contact me personally directly at the hotel if you have any further questions or comments.