“Overnight in Albany”

Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Rochester, New York
“Overnight in Albany”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Very clean. and UP TO DATE !! Staff was excellent and friendly. Breakfast was very good -- the usual fare.. but they made omelets , and you could make your own waffles ! POOL was clean and they had a nice Jacuzzi. Very convenient to the Univ of NY at Albany-- just across the street .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Matthew K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Deart tonyP,

Thank you for your positive review! I am also a fan of our location as is serves SUNY, Downtown, and other attractions conveniently. The next time you are down from Rochester we look forward to having you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights for my daughter's graduation and found the hotel great for service , price and conveniently situated. The breakfast was good and the lobby inviting . Enjoyed the free apples ! Will definitely return and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Matthew K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments about our property!

Recently Hilton garden Inn Hotels have gone through a new program called Project Grow. The goal was to decorate the lobby in a way that would feel more inviting to our guests. I can see by your review it is working! The next time you are in the Capitol Region we look forward to seeing you.
Louisville, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

This property is old and outdated. The carpet, bedding, and furniture DOES NOT meet Hilton Garden Inn standards! This property needs immediate renovation! The staff, however, was excellent! They are very pleasant, and willing to serve!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Kenneth G D
Thank you for your review. Although we are fully compliant with Hilton Brand standards we are continually updating the property as a part of Hilton's Project Grow. The next time you are in town we hope you like our updates!
Waterford, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

First of all, I stay with more Hilton properties than any other brand. And with the breakfast that the Garden Inn offers, and with slightly higher pricing than the Hampton Inn, I opt for HGI at every opportunity.

I was saddened to find this hotel's staff not entirely up to par. The coffee, always "hot" in a thermal server, was empty at 6:30am on Sunday, and the 'welcome cookie' server was left with crumbs - not returned to the kitchen as they do at all the other locations.

The breakfast buffet was hardly put together by 7am, when it is advertised to open, and the hot trays of eggs, meats and potatoes were not out by the time I left at 7:15. The omelet was overcooked, and the quiche was tough.

On the bright side, our room was excellent - clean, enough room to not feel cramped, and the usual compliment of Keurig coffees.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear KStebleton,

I appreciate your feedback. I want to sincerely apologize for what you experienced on the food and beverage side of your stay. I want you to know I post all of these reviews in the hotel and we present them at weekly meetings. I will discuss these issues with our food and beverage manager immediately and will take the necessary action to solve all issues. Furthermore, if you would like to discuss your stay further with me I will be available, my name is Matthew.
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel in the last 9-10 months. As before, this visit was flawless, especially for a hotel in this price range.

Actually, the experience was so identical to the first, it speaks to the consistency and professionalism of the hotel. For its cleanliness, the comfort of the guest rooms, the courtesy of the staff, and the outstanding pool, fitness room, and breakfast options, I recommend it highly for travelers of all types - business, family, or pleasure. This is one of the best mid-range hotels I have ever stayed in.

Fairly new and in excellent repair, this hotel has the ample parking of a suburban hotel but the high-rise, service-oriented feel of a city hotel. The guest rooms are somewhat smaller than your average Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, but they're spotless and well-appointed. Not a trace of dust or cobweb anywhere. The beds are extraordinary: The mattresses on the beds have little flaps near the head on each side, with a little dial underneath that allows you to adjust the firmness. The bedding was very comfortable, though with perhaps fewer pillow options than you get in a Hampton Inn. The blackout drapes worked perfectly. Although the hotel is located close enough to I-90 for there to be a fair amount of traffic noise, if you leave the climate control on, you will not hear it. Furthermore, the blower under the window kept the air in the room feeling clean, and it made a steady, unobtrusive background whirr that made it easy to read and sleep--evidence of being kept in very good repair. The free wifi access worked perfectly. The bathroom was supplied with many towels and washcloths, and came with sealed cellophane-wrapped plastic cups as well as a hair dryer and the usual assortment of soap and shampoo/conditioner. Water pressure was excellent.

The breakfast is unusual: A kitchen staff prepares you omelettes, french toast, and other goodies, in addition to breakfast bar options including cereal, fresh fruit, fresh rolls and pastries, and a waffle maker (not much used since the kitchen can do it for you). Wait staff brings the kitchen-made items to your table. Note that if you make your reservation using the "Bed & Breakfast" option, this will all be included. Including tax, that option costs about $12 a person. If you forget and want to add breakfast once you've arrived, it's fine: They'll tack a similar charge to your bill. The breakfast room is pleasant and right off the lobby.

The indoor pool is kept clean and is actually used by people of all ages. The fitness room was equally clean.

Only one minor drawback: The location is perfect for SUNY Albany but a little tricky to get to from I-87 and I-90. Google Maps will give you slightly better directions than Hilton's own web site; from the east, the key is taking the right exit and angling into the correct lane. Coming north from the lower Hudson valley, the only weirdness is dealing with the big I-87/I-90 interchange.

In sum, if you're looking for a clean, comfortable night's sleep with a good breakfast in the morning and no issues with parking, this hotel is ideal. The price is well within the normal range of other hotels in its category, but the quality of the stay is better here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Josh L,

Wow! That was a great review and I appreciate it! You said: "Actually, the experience was so identical to the first, it speaks to the consistency and professionalism of the hotel." I really want to thank you for that. I assure you I post each of these reviews and I am excited to show this to my staff. It is always nice to get details in these reviews good or bad to be able to improve where needed. The next time you are in the Capitol region we look forward to showing you a great third stay!!!
greenville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

I had a business meeting within a mile of here. I was meeting other business associates so I took a cab. It was 17.00
Rooms are very clean and updated, The hotel has the new Garden Inn décor. It is always nice to walk in have lemon water and a treat waiting for you.
The staff was very friendly and helpful with directions.
Breakfast was as expected however need to work on the clean dishes , we went through 6 coffee cups before we found a clean one on a table.
Fitness Center was great, not just a small room with one treadmill.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear burtontps,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. I came here to work from Salt Lake City and I recognize the fact our location is great as well! I am sorry about the coffee mug issue. I have talked to the kitchen staff and we have resolved the issue. The next time you are in Albany I encourage you to stay with us again!
Natick, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My husband and I picked this hotel because it's not far from the highway, and we were pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness of the desk staff (easily resolved a problem with a room that had a bad smell), and the look & feel of the lobby area is very open & welcoming. Breakfast was good with homemade sausage, made-to-order eggs, and wide selection of fruit, breads,etc. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Elizabeth L H,

Thank you for your positive review. I am happy to hear the front desk staff took care of you instantly when there was an issue. I also agree with you on our breakfast, it is great! Becky, our head chef actually created the recipe for the homemade sausage and the preparation procedures herself! I will make sure to convey your opinion of the food quality.