“Excellent sushi and can't beat the price!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Blowfish A Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #176 of 683 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Albany, New York
“Excellent sushi and can't beat the price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Went to Blowfish for a late lunch on a Saturday. The place is new, the decor is light and pleasant, seating comfortable.
The "menu" - a sheet of paper on which you indicate what you'd like to have - has soup, salad, appetizer, sushi, and roll choices (unfortunately, not marked or even separated in such categories). The names of most if not all choices are transliterated Japanese. There is a handy "cheat sheet" on every table, translating most choices into English, but it would have been handier to have it right on the "menu".
On the first go-around, I chose miso soup and chicken on a skewer for an appetiser, and a half-dozen pieces of sushi. I also ordered hot tea, which came in a cup with a tea bag. The soup was pretty bland, but the chicken was delectable, and the sushi was really, really good!
All the dishes were promptly taken away as soon as I finished them. After I was done, the waitress put a fresh "menu" on the table. I decided to order a few more pieces that I missed the first time around, and a roll (spicy tuna).
Once again, the sushi was wonderful (most of it didn't even require the soy sauce/wasabi mix I always concoct). The fish pieces were not huge, but big enough to cover the rice. The roll was excellent, I could taste the tuna, the little bit of crunch, and just enough spice to notice.
There was no listing for dessert, but I was pretty stuffed by then, so when the waitress came around again with a fresh "menu" I told her I was done.
I had a coupon for 10% off, which is in all the flyers; with it, and with a cup of tea, the bill came to just over $15 - an incredible price for all the food that I consumed.
This is definitely a place to come back to!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Numinescent

Niskayuna, NY
“Really good all you can eat sushi!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Pleasant though simple ambiance in a peaceful and uncrowded setting in an upscale strip mall with delightful unhurried service and a fabulous selection of really good sushi presented in a very artistic way by a pleasant and accommodating and attentive staff. I and my dining partner were simply delighted with everything and are already planning a return visit in the very near future. The lunch menu offers a wide selection of very nice things at a very fair price(and everything was remarkably good!) and the dinner menu is more extensive yet, and we are making plans to try that also. This is simply a totally nice dining experience of resonantly priced and fabulously good food. Try it!

• Visited June 2014
Grafton, NY
“Good opening…worth a try here :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Roxanne and I went here after the normal lunch time and even before the "official" opening of this new place located in the Price Chopper Plaza near Crossgates Mall. We know the owners as the chef/owner has been at the Dragon Buffet on Central Avenue for a long time. Admittedly, we got some special treatment and I had a delicious chicken terriyaki that was not (yet) on the menu. I really enjoyed it. The chicken was marinated and juicy, cooked just right. The vegetables and rice were perfect. I'll be honest, I forget what Roxanne had that day as it was more than a month ago. I know she enjoyed her meal. We'd both go back any time, especially if you're headed to the mall. Why settle for fast food in the mall when you can have a nice meal in a pleasant atmosphere. The decor here is simple and fresh and clean. The utensils and plates were literally brand new at the time of our meal. The staff is friendly and ready to please, taking care of any special request. Trust me, we tried to be fussy! :) Give them a try.

• Visited April 2014
Albany, New York
“All you can eat sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a new all you can eat sushi restaurant with good food. You check off what you'd like on a sheet of paper & they bring you your order. You can keep reordering, but if you order too much & don't eat it, they'll charge you extra. The special all you can eat (they also have a regular menu) included other choices such as seaweed salad, vegetable tempura, etc. The previous restaurant space has been divided into 2 restaurants, this one & a Chinese restaurant next door. The decor is adequate but more on the sparse, modern side. We appreciated that they surprised us with mochi ice cream for dessert, as it was my daughter's birthday. The one negative I found was that the sushi was labeled with its Japanese name & not the English one. For example, it would say Ebi, instead of shrimp. There was a sushi glossary on a blackboard when you 1st walked in but this wasn't convenient when perusing a long menu. I suggested that they revise the paper order sheet, maybe by writing the English translation in parentheses. Lastly, this restaurant is in a strip mall so you should be able to find parking.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank fba5
Albany, NY
“Reasonably good for all you can eat style place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Newly opened...dinner all you can eat sushi was $23. Day time is $16. Especially liked that you can select what you want off the menu and the rolls are if you were ordering a regular roll. Rolls has too many cucumbers and fair amt of rice but at least the fish was fresh. I enjoyed the appetizer menu the most which was also included in the price and would go back for lunch just to have that and maybe one roll. Net, can't go wrong for all you can east style, but go hungry

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank DenyseAlbany_NY

Been to Blowfish A Sushi Restaurant? Share your experiences!