“Standard hotel”

Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Boston, Massachusetts
“Standard hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here two nights with a friend while we were exploring the area. We were hoping the pool would be a nice place to relax, but the pool can be very noisy depending on how many people are in the room. It is not a relaxing place to site and read.

It is within walking distance of restaurants and bars on Madison and Lark, though the walk is not through the best part of town. It's also within walking distance to the State Capitol building. It's a short drive to other shops on Delaware.

Cookies were available at check-in. The beds were very comfortable and the room was really great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank elim102

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had one night here, very convenient location. Close to lovely park with great playground. On arrival gave us a free movie to help amuse the kids. Only thing i wouldn't rate as top notch was the pool. Restaurant was pretty good for a family. Good service. Very quiet, hotel was full and we didn't hear anyone.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Albany for 3 nights while in town for a wedding. I found all the staff I had contact with to be not only professional but very friendly as well. Our room was spotless as was other areas of the hotel I was in, so if cleanliness is important to you this is the place to stay. The comfort dial mattress was extremely comfortable and the black out curtains made sleeping in the morning possible. The hotel's buffet breakfast at about $10.99 is not outrageously priced especially if you eat a full breakfast and with eggs, pancakes, french toast made to order there are lots of options when combined with the fresh fruit, yogurts, breads, cottage cheese and cold cereals available. There are also other food options within a short walking distance of the hotel such as a Starbucks in the building, a McDonalds, Panera and local diner just down the street.
Two of my kids coincidentally had air conditioning issues in their rooms on the same evening which were fixed right away and we were given breakfast vouchers for the inconvenience, a very nice touch.
My wife's only complaint was the lighting and mirror in the bathroom was not great for applying makeup as the lighting was too yellowish and the mirror too far away. A wall mounted swing-out mirror with a built-in light would be nice.
We did not use the pool/spa area so I cannot comment on it.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and if visiting Albany agin will definitely return.

2 Thank Zenith100
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

After reading the reviews, i booked this hotel but we were very dissapointed when we arrived. First of all it is right beside the hospital and in a bad part of Albany. It's for people who are visiting people in the hospital i think and have to stay overnight because you see nurses everytime in the hotel passing by. You feel more in a hospital than in a hotel. They charge you an extra 10$ for outside parking. The access to the hotel is behind and hard to find. Rooms are small and linear but clean. Restrooms are ok and tv too. We much prefered the Holiday inn express SUNY. Better neighborhhood and closer to the highway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AlbanyMedGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Albany Medical Center, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
I’m very sorry to see that you were not satisfied with your time in Albany. We generally do not get complaints about the safety of our surrounding neighborhood, but because we are located in a city, we do take extra precautions to ensure our guests are safe and secure. I’m very proud to say that we have never had ANY security issues at our property. In fact, the neighborhood as actually seen enormous growth and revitalization over the past few years. As far as parking goes, we—along with most other hotels in the City of Albany—do charge a small fee for parking. It is a practice that is quite standard for hotels located in cities.

I would be more than happy to clarify on any of these issues if you would like to speak with me directly. I hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Albany.

Nick Boulas CHA/CFBE, General Manager
Dix HIlls, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My family stayed on night at the Albany HGI. It's right across from the Medical Center (so if there's an emergency....). We had a hard time finding it off the thruway but think that was our GPS fault. You enter street level but the lobby is on the second floor. The street level entrance was attractive. Our double room was nice sized and comfortable. The bathroom is separate which is a plus as some hotels don't have that separation anymore. Breakfast is served in a big area just off the lobby desk. Eggs made to order and plenty of other fresh choices. Everyone should find something they like. If not, Starbucks on street level and Panera not far away. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet. My only complaint..they were out of foam pillows..boo. If I'm in the area again, i would definitely stay here.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great hotel, They did charge extra for parking 10.00 per night I was not aware of this? However its a "safe zone" in a somewhat dicey Albany? I was there to watch a family Member play baseball. The rooms were clean, the lobby was awesome, the staff was helpful. Great sports bar and grill, starbucks and hotel resturant on location, also Panera Bread close. I have to admit being from Chicago I thought Albany would be more suburban like lol... Its a City beware of your surroundings and stay safe.... I loved the hotel and the Albany area in general is pretty cool! God bless all.

1 Thank Paul D
Rutland, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Check inn took longer then what I expect in a Hilton.
Rooms were ok, clean, good beds, decent bathroom.
had to go back outside to post a note in my car that I could use the parking, which is a bummer at 2am in the morning!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business