Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown
$137
Hilton.com
  • Pool
$69
CrestHill Suites Albany(Albany)(Great Value!)
$107
$122
Hotels.com
$137
$110
All reviewsvalet parkingtimes union centerstate hotelstate streetfront deskjack's oyster househuge bathroomsmall windowattending a concertcity beer hallwalking distancecapitol buildingfree breakfastbed was very comfortablenice roombusiness tripwould definitely stay here again
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I am giving 4 start because I didn't like the hotel, it was my first (and last) staying at "boutique" hotel like this, and I must say I prefer more "modern" ones.

Hotel, besides interior decoration and theme, was quite satisfactory (that's why I am giving 4 stars). Location is pretty good, rooms are clean, all in all, it is a very good hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review our property Mike. We are pleased that you enjoyed our clean rooms and good location, in the heart of Downtown Albany. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and will reconsider staying with us again the next time you are in Albany. Have a great day!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I occasionally travel to Albany (NY) to visit with my former co-workers. Since I put in the time to drive 3.5 hours, I figure I deserve a little luxury so I stay at the 74 State Hotel. The obvious attraction is that is is located within walking distance of most of the places I will visit - not just the offices, but also the restaurants, coffee shops and pubs where we will gather outside the office.

A second attraction is the valet parking. Downtown Albany is notorious for its lack of convenient parking especially during the week. The extra charge is well worth the freedom from stress over finding a reasonable parking location.

74 State bills itself as a "full-service boutique hotel," which is a very apt description. You can translate "boutique" to "small rooms." This has never been a problem for me as I travel alone and don't entertain guests. "Small" does not mean "tiny;" there is ample room to move around, use the desk, etc.

The beds are comfortable with a range of covers to suit your comfort level and a good supply of pillows. Interestingly, the bathroom is huge in comparison to the sleeping area - spacious shower, plenty of towels, and plenty of hot water.

Another thing you'll notice is quiet. Despite the smaller room size and downtown location, no external noise seeps into your room.

I've rated the service as excellent. All of the staff I have encountered have been friendly, courteous and efficient. I've only had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, but it was well prepared, delivered promptly and reasonable proportions.

One minor drawback: there are no ice machines on the guestroom floors (which might contribute to the quiet). The guest information says you can order ice from through the front desk. I've never bothered but, if that service is like the others, I suspect your request will be filled quickly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Suzanne L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Thanks for much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of 74 State Hotel Greg. Thank you for choosing 74 State Hotel. We agree, you do deserve a little luxury. :) We are pleased that you
enjoyed our convenient downtown location, valet service, friendly staff and quiet hotel. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit back to Albany as well and we hope to have you back the next time you are in town visiting with old co-workers. Thanks again Greg, and happy holidays!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were in town for an event at the government center - at the Egg. This hotel was perfectly located: 2-4 minutes to the Egg. The room was perfect, beds very comfortable. This is a non-smoking hotel, but someone had been smoking in the room. The hotel was completetly full, so the room was deoderized while we went to a restaurant to enjoy dessert. Unfortunately they had just run out of the creme brulee we ordered. Although the deoderizing improved the smell in the room, it still smelled of stale cigarettes. Interestingly, the last time we went to Albany the same thing happened. I know that it is impossible to control guests' behaviors completely, but there must be a solution to this. Drinking glasses provided in bathroom had finger prints on them, and I wondered if they were clean. Otherwise, the bathroom was clean and fresh, and the room was spotless. our interactions with staff were pleasant: they were accommodating. Valet parking, front desk, and cleaniing staff were warm and welcoming. We had a terrific visit to Albany.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Suzanne L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased that you enjoyed our convenient location, just a few blocks from the Egg. We apologize that another guest smoked in the hotel. We are a 100% smoke free property and do our best to ensure that guests respect each other by not smoking in the hotel, including charging a $250 fee for smoking in our hotel, but unfortunately once in a great while it does happen. We are pleased that you enjoyed our pleasant, accommodating valet, front desk and cleaning staff. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in Albany, and hope you will stay with us again the next time you enjoy a show at the Egg.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to book a room here so we could enjoy here Holiday party in Albany and not have to drive home. The hotel is nice. The parking was fee valet that we didn't use because it was Saturday night and parking is free on the street after 11:00. Our room was great. It was a deluxe king with a view of State street. The huge bathroom had a shower room and a bathtub. The bedding was all white and the bed was comfortable. I would have rated it excellent except the television was terrible. It was tiny and bad reception. Other than that this was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: No pool. No spa. No work out area that we saw.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of 74 State Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our convenient downtown Albany hotel. I apologize that there were issues with your television reception. In the future we would be happy to move you to another room if you are experiencing any issues at all. Also, please note that we do have a gym on the 3rd floor for guest use. Thank you for choosing 74 State Hotel, and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Albany. Have a great day!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We have stayed here off season several times and the service is always amazing, even when the hotel is nearly empty. Fluffy duvets, high thread count sheets, very clean bathrooms and highly attentive staff, you'd expect to pay three times more in NYC. The included amenities are a great value add - free Saratoga Springs water; thick robes (just ask); newspaper and free wifi.

The bar is grownup and the bar nibbles are excellent. Arrive at the hotel and don't leave - why bother with the cold and clueless in the nearby restaurants? Avoid the college crowd and just stay put and enjoy being pampered. It's absolutely worth the splurge for the fireplace room with a jetted tub. Sign up for the email updates, sometimes their specials are too good to resist!

It was my birthday and they were extra attentive and kind. Thank you so much 74 State for making yet another one night stay a memorable day-cation!

Room Tip: Be nice to the desk staff and they'll be extra nice to you. If the hotel is empty and you ask, there's a good chance they'll upgrade you. Corner room 702 has a wonderful fireplace and great view of the hills.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of 74 State Hotel. We are so happy we could help you enjoy your birthday. Thanks for choosing 74 State Hotel again, and we look forward to having you back the next time you are in Albany. Have a great day!