“Nice and comfortable.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is the second time we stayed here on our way to pick up the kids at camp. Comfortable beds and very clean. The shower had great water pressure and was also very clean. I will say I wished they had a little gift shop for sundries. I forgot my contact solution and had to wait until the am to buy some down the street.

• Stayed: August 2013
Suzanne L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Downtown Albany hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will stay with us again the next time your kids are at camp. Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at 74 State this past weekend for a wedding and was impressed with the staff and services. It's seems to have been recently renovated -- historic on the outside, modern on the inside.

Very comfortable bed, good coffee maker in the room, and very helpful staff. The room also seemed clean and fresh.

Location is downtown, not much going on in the immediate area over the weekend but easy walk or short ride to most places.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a tiny window facing alley/brick wall so ask for a room with a view if you want one.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Suzanne L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you the next time you are in Albany!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you prefer to avoid the larger chain hotels and want to be situated in diowntown Albany, this lovely boutique hotel is just the spot. Offers valet parking and a delightful restaurant and bar but some of Albany's best eateries are steps away. Convenient to Capital Builidng and other tourist spots. Comfortable, spacious rooms

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review of 74 State Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant and convenient location and hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Albany!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel is in the heart of Albany. The best thing about the hotel was the staff. They were very accommodating. We had requested a king size bed and got a queen and the corrected that immediately. The problem was they had one room with a king size bed left that had no windows. That wasn't the problem, the problem was that the room was apparently above the bar and there as a loud jazz band until well after midnight. The place is making an attempt to be upscale but it is long in the tooth and a bit shabby. The rooms were spacious and mostly clean. The hotel restaurant almost appeared as an afterthought. It was also the bar with bar type food. Breakfast the next morning was in another area that looked more like a restaurant than the "restaurant" did. Breakfast was fine. The staff was very helpful and friendly and that made it a better experience than the facility might deserve.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the 300's as they are over the very noisy bar.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne L, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of 74 State Hotel. We sincerely apologize if our live jazz band was audible from your room. We are pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in Albany.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have traveled a lot and as far as I'm concerned this is the best value and hotel in the area.it used to be a furniture store and now they have remodeled it to a 9 story hotel with large rooms and modern fixtures.I would recommend parking out front in the spaces and using the automatic meters from 8 a.m. To 6 p.m. And the parking is free at night. It will save you the $18 valet charge if you have a car.the restaurant is excellent and the 9th floor is exceptionally quiet and my room was two queen beds and was spotless.if this hotel was in New York City it would be $300 a night.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review of 74 State Hotel Smart Guy. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Albany!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed two nights this week to attend some classes in Latham. The room was quite large, it was a king bed and shower only combination. The hotel overall is in a beautiful building with gorgeous old world details, including high ceilings, large corbels and lintels over doors, brass detailed elevators, mahogany wood, etc. They do not build like this anymore. In terms of the room, the bathroom/shower had white glossy subway tile, marble floors, great fixtures, local granite slab counters, etc. Kind of an interior decorator's dream. It also had two touches I had never seen before, both really nice. First, there was a black monogrammed face cloth for removing makeup, in addition to the white face/body cloth. All the linens were very nice, high quality cotton with high thread count. Next, (and I have GOT to get one of these for my house,) was a switched low voltage night light about two feet off of the floor. This was SO NICE for those "middle of the night, but have to hit the bathroom and I am not sure where it is," moments. Why don't all hotels have this?

The bed was super comfy and supportive, with plenty of high quality pillows. The room included a desk, two night stands, a vintage looking bureau, and a flat screen TV, along with a nice clock radio and slick looking phone.

The bar was great, and every single member of staff, whether front desk or bartender or valet, was super nice and helpful, and not in that big chain hotel way that implies that they are in any way rushed or put out while doing it. Seriously, the staff rocks. I especially want to shout out to the valet guys who not only were helpful, but who put themselves (nicely) in harms way to help me back out each day when I left. I have traveled in many countries and all over the US, and the staff were among the best I've seen.

Here is the bad stuff:

The internet access (which I needed since I was there on business.) Between 5-7pm each night, I got a message that there were too many users on to connect me. I was able to connect after that period each night.

Second, last night, the bar next door played live, kind of loud, music until about 9pm. At 7pm, I called down to the front desk to ask what the story was, and again, they WERE SO FREAKING NICE. The young man who spoke with me told me where the music was and offered (without my really complaining,) to call the bar and call me back to tell me what time the music would end.

Last, you need to know that this hotel fronts a very busy street with no front parking. You will need to either lug your stuff a ways to street park, or valet.

Kim

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review of 74 State Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will look into the issue you experienced with the wi-fi. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Capital District and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Albany!

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We have been on the road one week and I have been reviewing as we go along. I was worried about my own creditably because everyone was so considerate, informative, patient and knowledgable and I had no complaints!!! That was until this hotel. When we approached the front desk, I felt the woman, who finally did, look up was annoyed with me(us). She didn't even complete our check in, the young man working with her had to complete the transaction. Even my oblivious boyfriend asked what was wrong. Also thanks to my trip advisor friends, I knew to ask if the room faced city or a wall, she didn't know!?!?!?
But, on a more positive note, the other employees were what one would hope for in the service industry, a quick smile eager to assist and kind manor.
The hotel was just what you would hope for in a boutique hotel. It was clean, rooms were warm and welcoming, beds comfortable, bathroom was big, bright and beautiful.
All the other employees we encountered were very hospitable, including a very nice young woman tending the bar for our after dinner drink.
So I like the hotel, bed great, bath awesome but I am unable to give full points because of that initial encounter.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property and bringing your concerns to our attention. We will certainly look into the matter and appreciate the feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay with us and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Albany!