“Perfect for traveling families”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Okemos, Michigan, USA
“Perfect for traveling families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stopped here for a quick overnight stay on our way to Cape Cod. Family of five--myself, my wife, daughter 1 (16), daughter 2 (12), and son (4). Arrived at ~8 pm. Reserved a standard room, but was upgraded to a HUGE 2 Queen Suite because of Hilton Honors. Check-in was a breeze. Judging by the parking lot, the place must have been packed, but you would never have known it from the inside. Lobby was quiet. Had a small pantry that sold toiletries and snacks (including bottled beer--just what I needed after 14 hours in the car). The front desk also had a free toothbrush and shower cap from my daughter (12). Elevators were quick and plentiful (three of them).

Room was great. We had a room near the highway, and the traffic was audible, but I sleep like a rock, so I had no complaints. However, my wife (who is very observant) noticed that the sheets on both of the beds had numerous pill balls, bad enough that she could feel them during her sleep. The only thing keeping this rating from being an Excellent.

Fitness center was pretty large for a hotel of this size, with a wonderful Universal machine, treadmills, elliptical, dumbbells up to 50 #, and an exercise area. There was a guy in the exercise area with his laptop doing a P90X DVD at the same time that I was there, and there was plenty of room around us.

The crown jewel of this hotel for traveling families was the breakfast. We booked this location because of the TripAdvisor reviews of the breakfast, and we were not disappointed. My wife had her fruit and oatmeal, my daughters had their "low-carb" options, and my son and I had just about everything else--sausage biscuits, cereal, eggs, coffee (for me) and juice (for him). The dining area is HUGE--plenty of room for lots of families. There were also two big flat screen TVs in the dining area--one on one side showing a morning news show, and one on the other side showing America's Funniest Home Videos.

We made our reservation late (like 3 days prior to travel) and paid ~$200 for the night with Hilton Honors and AAA. For as late as we reserved and as full as they were, I think the value was o.k. With better planning, I would have expected a room like this to have been in the $150-175/night range.

Overall, I loved the stay, and will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, get a room away from the highway. The 2-Queen Suites are enormous--g...
1 Thank steve c
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
This is a great review of our hotel and our services and we can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience. I am so sorry that you had some less than perfect sheets on your bed. This is definitely the first time I've heard a complaint regarding our linens but can assure you that it will also be the last, as we take comments such as these very seriously and learn from our mistakes. We hope to have you and your family back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Arundel, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

While working on a project in the Albany area, I was looking for a hotel where I could feel comfortable over a prolonged period of time. I found the perfect place in the Homewood suites on Wolf Rd in Albany. Matt Cudemo (Assistant General Manager) is tireless in his desire to accomodate all guests. He orchestrates to perfection theme nights on Mon - Thurs. My company is certainly happy because I have no reason to leave the hotel to spend "expense money" on meals. A great complimentary breakfast is presented every morning. And a complimentary dinner is served weeknights. I especially enjoy Thursday nights, when Matt is at his best on the grille in the courtyard, serving up different specialties on the fire; along with complimentary wine and beer. The whole staff shares Matt's enthusiasm; I am greeted consistently by name. I spend many nights away on business. The Homewood Suites on Wolf Rd in Albany is the closest I have come to actually to being home.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but overlooking the coutyrad is best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bobkat2003
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you. It's hard for me to put into words what gratitude I feel, but I can assure you that my entire team here feels it too. It's great having you with us and I hope that we see much more of you. Please continue to make yourself at home and be sure to let me know if there is anything we can do to make your experience here even better.
Fall River, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night to go the NY Giants camp,great location,impeccable service,the rooms were spotless..breakfast was great as well...we will be returning next year and staying for an extra night. Only problem I had was with the "pantry",which sells incredibly small snack items for incredibly large amounts of money...go to Walmart or a local gas station if you need snacks or beverages.

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks for the great review! Our location is one of our best features. As you know, we're so close to everything here in Albany and only minutes from Saratoga Springs too. We're very lucky and proud to be so close to the training camp of the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants! Go Big Blue!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during a 10 day trip from the west coast. Check in was fast and efficient. The room was very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. Due to a back injury I usually travel with a memory foam mattress topper that I put on all the beds I sleep in while traveling. This trip, due to the amount of one night stays at different hotels, I decided to chance it without it. I was pleasently surprised how comfortable the bed was. I sleep very well. There are plenty of good restraunts near by. Close and easy to get to and from the Albany,NY airport. The morning breakfast was very good. The kitchen staff were friendly and kept the area well stocked and fresh.

Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this very nice review. It's reviews like this one and guests like you who make our jobs so rewarding!
Fletcher, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were planning to go back to the Albany NY area to catch a concert at SPAC and catch up with family and friends the end of July. I was looking to book our hotel in May since I knew we would be in Albany in the middle of the Saratoga Track season, and I found much to my dismay that I was not looking early enough. Fortunately, I was able to book a 2-bedroom suite for the family at this Homewood Suites, but it was a handicapped room and the only 2-bedroom left. We usually don't book handicapped rooms since we don't need them and prefer to leave them for others that do, so I called the hotel directly and spoke with a gentleman who told me there were no other alternatives. I booked the room. The day before we were leaving from NC to drive to NY I called to confirm the reservation and spoke to Linda. She asked if she could call me back and I agreed. At this time I was very nervous and started to think we would be stuck in a twilight zone where the hotel was overbooked and we would find there was no room at the inn for us. I finally heard back from Linda about an hour later. She apologized for the delay and informed me that the room we booked was being used by a local family who was left homeless by a fire in their home, and they needed to extend their stay. Further, the handicapped room was required for a member of the family. However, Linda was well prepared with an alternative: would we be willing to stay in a 1-bedroom suite for 2 nights, then transfer to a 2-bedroom standard suite for the next 4 nights? Very relieved, I replied that this would be no problem at all. Linda thanked me over and over for understanding the situation and being so flexible and also offered a discounted rate on the 2-bedroom over our booked rate! I in turn thanked her for having a well-planned alternative as well as for the unexpected discount, and said I looked forward to meeting her when we checked in. The rest of our stay was absolutely fantastic and nothing but relaxing, as any issues or questions (there were just a couple too small to mention) were quickly taken care of by Linda, Kira, or Michelle at the front desk. The housekeeping staff here were absolutely fantastic, and our housekeeper always remembered to run the used cups, dishes, etc. through the dishwasher (a pet peeve of mine from staying at other Homewood Suites where this often was not done). The rooms were impeccably clean, the beds very comfortable, linens always smelled fresh. Even the condition of the rooms was very fresh and did not look at all old or worn (at least in the 2 rooms we stayed in). The breakfast was always hot and tasty, and any requests for more hot water (for tea) were quickly taken care of. The staff kept the dining area clean and bussed tables very quickly, and the manager in this area (sorry I forgot your name sir!) always recognized me after my first morning there and greeted me with a smile and a "glad to see you again". The pool and spa area were spotless, and my wife and I enjoyed our time there after being out all day. Even though there were families with younger children in the pool, they were always very respectful (compliments to the parents!). While driving back home, we all agreed that this stay had been the most relaxing and comfortable one we've had in a while, and this Homewood Suites is the best one we've stayed at (out of a dozen around the East Coast). I can't say enough about Linda and all the staff here, other than you should all be proud of yourselves for running such an excellent establishment. **NOTE TO HILTON HOTELS: This staff should be consulted so you can determine how this model of management and service can be distributed to other Homewood Suites (especially in the Southeast).**

Room Tip: The back of this hotel faces I-87 (also called the Northway locally). It might be quieter either in...
1 Thank 57j2
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
This is a review for the ages. We are extremely grateful that Saratoga was booked and we had the opportunity to show you what we are all about---service and cleanliness. Thank you for choosing our Homewood SUites. Thank you for an outstanding review. And thank you for recognizing our employees. It really means a lot to them.
Glenview, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Easy to see why this hotel gets such good reviews. Everything done well. Best part was the very friendly smile and help by staff at the desk. The included breakfast was well done and included pancakes made by each guest. My family of 6 is now disappointed when we don't stay at a Homewood Suites.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thanks for a very good review. We're so happy to hear that your family enjoyed the hotel so much. We can't wait to have you back. Perhaps think about us for your NYE plans...I don't think there's a better place in town for a family to spend NYE together!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I can see why this hotel is rated number 1 in Albany! We stayed for one night during our annual family road trip with our four young children. They upgraded us to a 2-room suite- this was a real treat for my husband and I to have our own bathroom. The hotel is very clean, updated, and has nice decor. The pool is clean, and is bright with the natural lighting from the many windows- My kids loved it. The hot tub is a perfect size and had great jets- I loved it. Immediately outside the pool is an outside BBQ area with large round tables- we enjoyed eating our take-out dinner there. The fitness facility is great- 3 treadmills, 1 stationary bike, 2 ellipticalls, and free weights. It is bright, cheerful, is well ventilated, and had a nice cool temperature. It is open 24 hours. Bring your headphones- each piece of equipment has it's OWN attached TV. There are a lot of channels though some had poor reception. Be prepared for a long work-out if you find a good movie like I did! The staff was very nice and everyone was so friendly and seemed genuinely happy- even housekeeping! Other nice perks include free wireless internet and laundry is free (the laundry soap costs 75 cents). I would absolutely recommend this hotel!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so very much for an outstanding review. We truly love that you took notice to our newly remodeled fitness center. We put a lot of thought and effort into improving that space and we think we did a great job, so it's nice to hear some feedback. By the way, we have plenty of complimentary ear buds to give out to our guests in need!