“Booted us out even though we had Reservations!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We frequently travel to Albany on business and have loved this hotel for the cleanliness and amenities for a couple of years now. But in spite of having reservations two months in advance of our latest business meeting, we were told LESS than 24 hours prior to our departure for Albany that the hotel was overbooked by extended stay clients who did not leave and our rooms were no longer available Same as speakman5's comments--we are all Hilton Honors members and guaranteed our reservation with a credit card, but that didn't matter. We were told we had to stay somewhere else.

It's too bad. Because up to now, I would have given this hotel 5 star ratings for the friendliness of the staff and attention to our needs. The rooms are the best and the meals and happy hour were excellent.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Colleen D
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2011

As I have responded to others before you, I am truly sorry. It is certainly not a position we like being in, but as you can see, it is a part of our business. We are an extended stay hotel and certainly guests that are due to depart on a specific date sometimes extend that departure date by days, weeks, and even months at times. We do our best to manage this so that we never have to relocate anyone but it seems like everyone wants to be in Albany these days! I see that you have thoroughly enjoyed our hotel in the past and I do hope that you come back and enjoy it again.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

This is the second time within four weeks that a Hilton Hotel gave my room away! When I stepped up to the counter (@10:30PM) to check in, I was told "sorry, but were overbooked and your room is no longer available!" Apparently, guaranteeing a room at a Hilton property with a major credit card (along with being a HHonors member) is not much of a guarantee!! I simply can't believe it!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Speakman5
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

There really isn't very much to say except how very sorry we are that it happened to you here. We do work very hard to please and accommodate all our guests but as an extended stay hotel, we sometimes do have guests due to check out that extend their stay and that puts us in the unfavorable position of having to relocate other guests with guaranteed reservations. When we have to do so, we always take care of the cost of the first night and issue extra Hilton HHonors points for the inconvenience. We know it doesn't fix anything but we attempt to make it as easy an experience as possible. Again, our sincerest apologies to you and I truly hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you in the future and, perhaps, receive a positive review from you.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed over Thanksgiving weekend. On Saturday, we had plans to meet relatives in the early afternoon. My thirteen year old daughter was in the middle of a shower, when the water ran out! There was no water at any of the sinks, either. I called down and spoke to someone at the desk, who told me that they were working on the situation and they "knew how frustrating this must be". After an hour, we packed a bag and made arraingements to shower at a relatives house. The water came back on before we left.
For two days in a row, our room was not cleaned, the beds were not made and we got no clean towels. They left a note saying that housekeeping was available until 5 30, but that we had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. It was only on from 11 am until noon both days. The hotel is very attractive. The pool was great and the free breakfast was fantastic. Just thought for what we paid we could count on running water and clean towels.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

What a horrible morning that was! We definitely had some challenges that morning that were difficult for all to deal with...guests and employees! Our team works hard to satisfy all our guests 24 hours a day and when things get a little difficult, we work even harder. However, when we can't put resolution to a challenge in a timely and efficient manner, it is so very frustrating for us. We know that this particular challenge with the water was very difficult to deal with and we are so very sorry. I hope, based on the rest of your stay and the rest of our reviews here, that you understand that this was an isolated incident and we are certainly a much better hotel than we showed you. We hope that this does not deter you from staying with us again. Thank you for your very fair and honest review.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. All staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast and dinner are also very good. Very clean hotel and comfy beds. Looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for such an excellent review of our hotel. We so appreciate you taking the time to write this.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed for two nights on business. I was unexpectedly upgraded to a suite that separated the bedroom and bathroom from the living room/kitchenette. All rooms have a kitchenette, not just the upgraded rooms. There is a free on-call shuttle to and from the airport, be sure and tip your underpaid and very helpful driver.

The breakfast was great with scrambled eggs one morning and fried the next. Also included were fresh fruit, real and turkey bacon, cereals and actually helpful and caring staff. During my entire stay I did not encounter even one sour individual employee.

Dinners seemed a bit heavy and strange to a Midwestern diet. I actually never ate dinner at the hotel but checked it each night and was glad i was eating off property. Free beer and wine during the dinner hour is hard to argue about, so I enjoyed a glass or two while waiting for the shuttle to our dinner destinations.

Room Tip: I lucked into a suite by them offering. You might ask for an upgrade if they do not appear full. I t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Thanks for a really nice review of our hotel. It makes a true impact when someone such as yourself takes the time to do this fo us. We appreciate it so very much.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

We have just returned from a 6 night stay in this wonderful hotel.
We had not experienced a suites hotel before this trip and would highly recommend in to everyone.
The suite was very comfortable, clean & well presented.
The kitchen was a godsend as it allowed us to experience shopping for american grocieries and cooking them ourselves.
Breakfast was plentiful and of good quality. The staff in the dining area kept everything well stocked and could not have been more helpful. It was a delight to sit in the lounge area with such a nice outlook over the courtyard.
Comlimentary internet facilities meant that we could keep in touch with friends and family .
Nothing was too much trouble for staff and we were very impressed.
It was great to be handed a pre-printed card when we asked for directions - GOOD TOUCH
Altogether a great experience and we will certainly use this hotel again when in the are.
THANK YOU FOR OUR RELAXING STAY.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Another glowing review of our hotel and we could not be happier! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with everyone else on a stage such as this. Your comments here are priceless. Thanks again.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Albany for work from the end of April 2011 until September 2011. I was anxious about being away from home for so long, but everyone at the Homewood provided a home away from home. This hotel was clean, comfortable and safe. Three of the most important things to me when I stay somewhere. The rooms are modern and clean. They have a full kitchen (minus an oven) stocked with all the necessities you need to prepare a meal. I was able to eat healthy on my own and at The Lodge in the lobby. Homewood provides a hot breakfast every day of the week for their guests. My favorite was the home cooked oatmeal with dried fruit. You can have everything from cereal to omelettes and bacon. Dinner is served every Monday through Thursday with wine and beer as well! Dinners varied throughout the weeks and were always yummy and satisfying. There is a decent fitness room which provided the tools necessary to stay in shape while you are traveling. It is just minutes away from the airport, hundreds of great restaurants and two shopping malls. I always had something I could do. OH, and FREE laundry! All you need is your own detergent. They have a free shuttle that takes you where you need to be. I utilized it to get to and from the airport several times so I didn't have to park there. Homewood staff set up fun events throughout the week so you can socialize with other guests and staff. The Homewood Suites family were all wonderful and helpful people. They went out of their way numerous times to make my stay exactly how I wanted it. They truly care about your comfort and care. The staff was beyond professional and awesome! This hotel was beyond my highest expections. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking to stay in the Albany area. You will not be disappointed! This stay was beyond excellent. Matt and Bob (and all the staff) were fabulous hosts. Amazing!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank K_Garcia_10
HomewoodAlbany, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Thank you, Kendra! We miss you very much and hope that we get the opportunity to accommodate you in the future. On a side note, our fitness center expansion has begun! We are doubling it in size and it should be completed by mid to late November. Thank you, again...