“Friendly staff made this place great instead of just good”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Stayed with five other couples in this hotel in downtown Albany for New Year's 2010-2011. The hotel is clean with a good location for bars/restaurants on Pearl Street and the Palace Theatre. It is the quality I expect from Hampton Inn. What made this place stick out was the staff. Tiffany was so honestly cheerful when we arrived, helped with dinner and nightlife recommendations, and always made sure to say hi and call us by name when we saw her. While she was the only staff member whose name I got, the daytime manager was always there with a smile when I got off the elevator, and the cleaning staff was friendly too. The only exception was a Sunday daytime front desk clerk who was inattentive and seemed more concerned with updating his Facebook page. I was glad to meet him last, as everyone else was so friendly and made the experience great.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown

Reviewed November 1, 2010

We drove from Rochester to Albany for a concert, and checked in around 4:00pm. The lobby is very nice for a hotel in this price class. Tiffany checked us in, and was extremely pleasant and friendly. In fact, when she overheard we had driven 4 hours from Rochester she upgraded our room! So that was a nice bonus.

Our room was spacious, with a kitchenette and sitting area. A large flat-screen TV and king-sized bed were welcome additions, although we found the bed to be too stiff for our tastes. That said, the pillows were nicer than our ones at home.

We parked on the street and walked everywhere we needed to go, which only encompassed a 3 or 4 block radius. There are some cool bars and restaurants in the immediate area, so lots of choices for the out-of-town traveler.

After the concert were returned to the hotel to have a drink at the bar, which has a surprisingly extensive drink menu for a Hampton Inn. In fact I would say it puts many NYC bars to shame. Our bartender Angela was very friendly and chatted us up from time to time as we enjoyed our drinks, and she made drink suggestions based on our likes and dislikes, and even customized a drink for my wife.

The continental breakfast was very good, with a wide selection of items. We filled up before hitting the road again, enjoying a breakfast that would easily have cost us $20-$30 elsewhere.

The only negatives were: no in-room safes (you have to use a lock box at the check-in desk), our room was a frigid 60 degrees when we walked in (which we quickly corrected using the thermostat), valet parking is $12.95 per day (although street parking is free on the weekends and we readily found a parking spot a couple blocks away), and we were automatically charged for parking on our bill but the front desk quickly removed it when it was brought to their attention.

All in all, we found this Hampton Inn to be one of the nicest in the chain that we've seen, with friendly service and nicely appointed rooms that really offer a good value for your travel dollar.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

This hotel lacks a shuttle to pick you up from the Airport or the Amtrak station, so you have to add at least $30 roundtrip to your cost plus a lot of hassle.

The hotel also lacks a swimming pool.

The other downtown hotel -- the Crown Plaza, just a few blocks away -- has both a free shuttle AND an indoor swimming pool.

If you don't need either of these features, then the Hampton Inn is fine -- actually, it's great. The rooms are huge and well designed, the service is friendly and the breakfast above-average for the Hampton chain. However, if you are traveling as we were (on the train with two little kids hoping to go swimming - granted I should have done my homework) then you might want to consider a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The staff is cordial, wlling, and effective.
The rooms are large, well-let, clean and comforatble.
This was our 4th visit and we will return.
This is a great value.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I travel for business, typically as I drive cross country. This was not the cleanest place I've every stayed. I had an unpleasant surprise my third night when I discovered my room was crawling with bedbugs - I picked twelve or so of them off the walls and both beds in my seventh floor room. If I could have gotten to my car, I would have spent the rest of the night sleeping there, but the mandatory valet parking meant that I did not have my keys. I camped out in the tiled bathroom and checked out the next morning after I introduced the desk clerk to my little roommates.

The hotel was pretty busy - my group was hosting a series of meetings - so perhaps that was why certain foods were in short supply during breakfast. Place seemed somewhat understaffed - there was rarely more than one person manning the desk and we had to hunt down people to unlock the meeting rooms for us.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank armchrtrvler
tiffanyjassel, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Good afternoon,

I apologize this review is receiving you so late! I am not the most technologically saavy, and only recently discovered the amazing "Response" tool!

Since your stay in September, I am very pleased to announce to you that our entire staff has been thoroughly trained to look for and see signs of bed bug infestation. Thankfully we've been able to isolate the few cases we've had (yours included) , and treat them with NO REOCCURANCE; which is fantastic. Our team has developed quite the eye for these devastating creatures, and has brought to the attention of management anything that they even suspect to be bedbugs or their residual leftovers (gross). So much so, that a housekeeper recently brought me to a guest room to inspect what they thought could have been a sign of bed bugs, when in fact, it was chocolate. The point is, everyone here is on the same page in terms of recognizing the severity of bed bugs in our home away from home.

Beyond that, our Operations Manager has already addressed the concerns you expressed about our breakfast. Even when breakfast is busy, there should never be a shortage of food. And additionally, when staff is short, our guests should never be able to tell. We are extremely thankful for your feedback, as some of the issues you mentioned were very helpful toward the improvement of our services.

With warm regards,

Tiffany Jassel
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed August 30, 2010

We booked this hotel online and expected your basic Hampton. This was a significant step above in our opinion. The decor and amenities were lovely and quite unexpected for this level of hotel. We felt the value was just unbeatable. The location was great for exploring Albany (which, frankly, was also a great treat and surprise). The breakfast (included) was also excellent.

The best news for us was the fine dining restaurant on site. Yono's was terrific with an absolutely amazing wine list. I have to say that we were a bit nervous at first -- the service was tepid at best. But when we ordered a good bottle of wine, it felt like it was a bit of a game changer. The service picked up instantaneously. The food was outstanding. My only caution would be that I'm afraid the service may have been dependent on the wine order and might not be the same for someone who ordered a beer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have had several events there at the hotel and the staff has always been so easy to work with and very accomodating. Yono's catering is marvelous! Great value for the money too!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business