“Bedbugs...lots of 'em”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I travel for business, typically as I drive cross country. This was not the cleanest place I've every stayed. I had an unpleasant surprise my third night when I discovered my room was crawling with bedbugs - I picked twelve or so of them off the walls and both beds in my seventh floor room. If I could have gotten to my car, I would have spent the rest of the night sleeping there, but the mandatory valet parking meant that I did not have my keys. I camped out in the tiled bathroom and checked out the next morning after I introduced the desk clerk to my little roommates.

The hotel was pretty busy - my group was hosting a series of meetings - so perhaps that was why certain foods were in short supply during breakfast. Place seemed somewhat understaffed - there was rarely more than one person manning the desk and we had to hunt down people to unlock the meeting rooms for us.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank armchrtrvler
tiffanyjassel, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Good afternoon,

I apologize this review is receiving you so late! I am not the most technologically saavy, and only recently discovered the amazing "Response" tool!

Since your stay in September, I am very pleased to announce to you that our entire staff has been thoroughly trained to look for and see signs of bed bug infestation. Thankfully we've been able to isolate the few cases we've had (yours included) , and treat them with NO REOCCURANCE; which is fantastic. Our team has developed quite the eye for these devastating creatures, and has brought to the attention of management anything that they even suspect to be bedbugs or their residual leftovers (gross). So much so, that a housekeeper recently brought me to a guest room to inspect what they thought could have been a sign of bed bugs, when in fact, it was chocolate. The point is, everyone here is on the same page in terms of recognizing the severity of bed bugs in our home away from home.

Beyond that, our Operations Manager has already addressed the concerns you expressed about our breakfast. Even when breakfast is busy, there should never be a shortage of food. And additionally, when staff is short, our guests should never be able to tell. We are extremely thankful for your feedback, as some of the issues you mentioned were very helpful toward the improvement of our services.

With warm regards,

Tiffany Jassel
Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed August 30, 2010

We booked this hotel online and expected your basic Hampton. This was a significant step above in our opinion. The decor and amenities were lovely and quite unexpected for this level of hotel. We felt the value was just unbeatable. The location was great for exploring Albany (which, frankly, was also a great treat and surprise). The breakfast (included) was also excellent.

The best news for us was the fine dining restaurant on site. Yono's was terrific with an absolutely amazing wine list. I have to say that we were a bit nervous at first -- the service was tepid at best. But when we ordered a good bottle of wine, it felt like it was a bit of a game changer. The service picked up instantaneously. The food was outstanding. My only caution would be that I'm afraid the service may have been dependent on the wine order and might not be the same for someone who ordered a beer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have had several events there at the hotel and the staff has always been so easy to work with and very accomodating. Yono's catering is marvelous! Great value for the money too!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I stayed at the Hampton Inn on the night of 8-21. We were upgraded to a nice suite with 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. The accommodations were great. I really enjoyed the decor of the bathroom. It was a stand up shower.. but there was sort of like a bench which was a nice touch. (others in the group said it was easier to wash their feet) The sink was outside of the bathroom, which worked out convienently as there were 5 guests staying over night. The tv was nice and feature more stations in a hotel room than I can remember seeing. Breakfast was really good, the woman working the breakfast Jennifer did a wonderful job engaging with guests and keeping all of the food stocked. I would recommend this Hampton inn to anyone staying in the Albany area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I often stay at Hampton Inn's for business and can say that this one was very well run and in good shape. The staff was excellent and the breakfast eating area was actually big enough to accommodate everyone for a change was. The only negative in my mind was the parking set-up. Even though parking was directly behind the hotel it was run by a third party with "valet-like" service which was mandatory. I like to park my own car take my time unloading. You also had to keep up with tickets which had to be validated at the front desk... what a hassle. The parking attendants themselves were helpful and I give them good marks. It was not their fault the system was set up that way.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband, six year old son and I spent one night at the Hampton Inn Downtown Albany and our stay was fabulous! They provided us with excellent cumsotmer service by upgrading our room to a suite. Benny at the front desk was so charming and accommodating. He made checking in a breeze.

The continental breakfast was plentiful and constantly being refilled. The staff all did their best to provide all the guests with a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times for business. The best perk is a woman only floor (floor #3) that is well worth the extra cost . Part of the profits go to breast cancer research and there are brochures and special amenities. The rooms are standard Hampton Inn in layout. The bed is very comfortable with very soft sheets and great pillows. The room has a frig and microwave. There is a great restaurant attached to the hotel. This is not your typical hotel restaurant. There is DP Brassiere (appetizers, salads, sandwiches) and Yono's which is a fancy They have a great bar with a great wine list and many kinds of vodka. The food is delicious with lots of variety. My favorite is the ahi tuna sandwich. The staff at both the hotel and restaurant is wonderful and very friendly. This hotel is in downtown Albany which is busy with business people during the week and seems like more of a college bar scene at night. I've never felt unsafe in the area at any time. There is a parking charge, but this is normal in a downtown area. Besides, the attendants are so friendly and helpful. I look forward to my next business trip to Albany!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business