Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Hotels.com
$69
$139
Very Good 4/5
CrestHill Suites Albany(Albany)(Great Value!)
$98
$129
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
1,109 results
All reviewsfront deskvalet parkingpalace theatrewithin walking distancepearl streetvalet servicebars and restaurantscomplimentary breakfastalbany downtownparking lottimes union centerempire state plazabreakfast staffbusiness tripvery nice hotelwafflesfresh fruit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 22, 2006

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in downtown Albany the weekend of 21 October. I was pleasantly surprised at the hotel, as I have been to a few Hampton Inns in downtown areas that weren't quite up to snuff. This hotel is new, and still looks it. The staff were pleasant and professional, and the location was very convenient to the Pepsi Arena. The room was very clean, nicely decorated, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was kept well stocked, even though the hotel was completely booked that weekend. While I didn't use the workout/sauna facilities, they appeared to be well kept, and the attached bar and restaurant seemed nice. The hotel is near Pearl Street, a main drag with plenty of bars and restaurants, and is convenient to the interstate. Be forewarned, however, that, if you are staying in town and there are any events going on, there may be some noise drifting across to the hotel, especially if your room faces towards Pearl St., especially towards the closing time of the bars and clubs. After seeing the room a friend of mine had at the Crowne Plaza, I know I got the better deal.
The parking situation isn't great - I dislike paying for parking at a Hampton Inn; however, unlike some other posters, I didn't feel insecure handing the keys over to the attendant.
If I am ever in downtown Albany again, I will definitely stay at the Hampton Inn.

Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank V B
Reviewed October 22, 2006

This was my first time staying at a Hampton Inn. THe hotel was beautiful but the customer service was not. At check in the lady that checked me in was rude. After being out of the hotel all evening and returning around 11:30pm i was watching TV and the sound was not working. I called down to the front desk and the guy working said he would send someone right up. About 5 mins later there was a knock at the door and it was the maintenance guy ( a little shock that he was dressed in jeans and a polo shirt) He couldn't fit the problem but it really wasn't a big deal becasue my husband and I were getting ready to go to bed anyway. IN the morning we went to check out and the guy at the front desk asked how everything was. My husband answered it was ok but the TV wasn't working. The front desk agent said when you noticed the problem did you call the front desk. My husband said yes we did and manitanence came to look at it but couldn't fit the problem. The front desk agent said what time did you call last night, he said around 11:30pm. The front desk agent said "we didn't have any one in maintanence at that time last night" Then i said then who was in ou room trying ot fit out TV? After the front desk agent pretty much called my husband and myself a liar we left the hotel. In all my lifei have never been treating like that at a hotel. I do a lot of traveling and i know i wont be staying at the Hampton Inn Downtown anymore.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ludwig_320
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Recently stayed at this new hotel and loved it!

Albany is not a favorite travel destination of ours, but we find ourselves there regularly for concerts & sporting events. This is less expensive than the Crowne, and is still in a great location. About 2 blocks from the Palace Theater & 7 from the Pepsi Arena.

The furnishings & fixtures in the room were sophisticated & elegant. Lovely neutral taupe/champagne/moss green color scheme. The curtains really kept out all of the light. And it had one of those very thick mattresses with a pillow top. Very comfy. Everything was clean, bright, new, and in excellent condition.There was even a love seat. I thought the room was slightly larger than you would normall expect at a similar price point.

The bathroom was well equipped with a huge vanity & mirror, and one of those step-in large showers. The closet had a door and there was a nice set of drawers in the TV cabinet. All rooms have wireless acess with a code you get at the front desk. Did not try that out though.

They do offer AAA discounts, but they also increase rates for 'event weekends', which I gather is any weekend that there is an event nearby that people might actually need to stay downtown on a weekend.

Easy to get to from the highway (Rt 787), Adjacent Valet parking ($10). We were on the back so could see our car. The lot looked empty at 5:00 pm and was full by the time we went to bed.

The free breakfast was a nice spread. We were full all day. There were eggs, sausage, biscuits, many kinds of breads/bagels for toasting (only 2 toasters though), juices, fruit- whole & cut, as well as cereal and a few other items. The breakfast area is basically right in the lobby, but the tables were nice, and they kept everything filled up right until the end of the breakfast time- we showed up at 9:45 for a breakfast that ended at 10. There were a lot of younger guests in their early 20s, and they also had the same idea of grabbing a last-minute bite so it was very busy in the lobby.

The hotel bar was very nice and reasonably priced. We typically avoid hotel bars in favor of checking out the local hangouts. The problem on Pearl St. in Albany on weekends after about 10:00 pm is that ALL the bars start charging a cover charge. Usually about $5 or so, more if they have a band, but if you just want one quiet drink that is crazy. So we checked out the hotel bar and were pleasantly surprised that the beer list was decent and pints were only $4. But if you want to check out the Pearl St. bars/restaurants, do it early at happy hour time! We went to the nearby Pump Station for dinner & had to wait 30 minutes for a table. At 5:00 pm! That was frustrating, since we could see about 20 empty tables that apparently had phantom reservations...

This is a great place to stay if you have any reason to be in downtown Albany. There are a large assortment of hotels out by the Airport, but it is hugely inconvenient to get downtown, and the small amount of money you might save will be eaten up with either cab fare, parking fee, or the worry about driving around downtown! We thought the Hampton was great and will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank OttoCal
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I think some of the people that post reviews on this site are never satisfied. The rate was high and the valet parking a bit inconvenient, but this is the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever seen (HH Diamond VIP here, have seen a lot). Everything new, beautiful rooms, flat screen and some flat panel HDTV TV's. Bedding is very comfortable. There are several nice bars and places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DallasBanker
Reviewed September 16, 2006

I have a bit of a struggle deciding whether to assign this hotel a neutral (3-dot) or above average (4-dot) rating. This hotel is less than a year old as of this writing, and was apparently built from the ground up from a vacant lot, according to their website. Since the hotel was built from scratch and not retrofitted, I'm not sure why so little thought went into the design of the hotel. Let me explain.
The rooms are, as one would expect, modern, fairly large, and comfortable with new fixtures. The internet connection worked very well. I also found the rooms quiet (I was on the 6th floor). The gym was small but adequate with everything in working order. No pool. Despite letting them know I was HHonors Gold, they quoted some absurd sum to use the sauna or steam room ($15 per half hour as I recall), so we didn't use it needless to say. As happens more than half the time at Hampton Inns, I was not recognized as a Gold HHonors, and had to call the front desk to remind them to bring me a bottle of water and snack (despite the fact that I had e-checked in through [--]).
Here's the bad design paragraph. This hotel has 10 floors with 121 regular rooms and 44 suites. Although the elevators are quite fast, who in his right mind would think that two small elevators would be adequate to handle the traffic? At times they were so full that people could not cram in further and had to wait for another elevator. Also, the breakfast area was tiny and had only two toasters, each capable of handling one English muffin or one bagel. One would think that anyone with at least 9 or 10 neurons in his brain could figure out that this wouldn't be adequate for a hotel of this size. People litterally had to eat standing up.
The parking situation was also bad. When we brought the car in, we were asked for and gave them the time we would be leaving. When we arrived at exactly the stated time, however, our car was against the fence with at least three cars in front of it and on either side. Obviously this ended up being a rather time-consuming experience. Wasn't it obvious to someone when they were building the hotel that it would need a modest parking structure rather than a tiny lot?
Other than the nice rooms, however, there was another reason I was overall satisfied (albeit not entirely pleased) with the hotel. Their upscale restaurant, Yono's, was definitely a memorable dining experience. At $49, their rijstaffel was both delicious and reasonably-priced (with some extras included, i.e. amuse-bouches), although the service wasn't as spectacular as the food quality.
All in all, I felt I had received a reasonable value for the $80/night I paid. I would have rated them lower had I paid more for the reasons I mentioned. Nevertheless, I could have booked the Crowne Plaza for about the same price that night, and I ended up wishing I had. This place is nice, but I could have done without the needless frustrations.

Stayed: September 2006