1,155 results
All reviewsfront deskvalet parkingpalace theatrewithin walking distancepearl streetvalet servicebars and restaurantscomplimentary breakfastparking lottimes union centerempire state plazabusiness tripvery nice hotelnew yorkthe breakfast areayogurtwallace
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I think some of the people that post reviews on this site are never satisfied. The rate was high and the valet parking a bit inconvenient, but this is the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever seen (HH Diamond VIP here, have seen a lot). Everything new, beautiful rooms, flat screen and some flat panel HDTV TV's. Bedding is very comfortable. There are several nice bars and places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DallasBanker
Reviewed September 16, 2006

I have a bit of a struggle deciding whether to assign this hotel a neutral (3-dot) or above average (4-dot) rating. This hotel is less than a year old as of this writing, and was apparently built from the ground up from a vacant lot, according to their website. Since the hotel was built from scratch and not retrofitted, I'm not sure why so little thought went into the design of the hotel. Let me explain.
The rooms are, as one would expect, modern, fairly large, and comfortable with new fixtures. The internet connection worked very well. I also found the rooms quiet (I was on the 6th floor). The gym was small but adequate with everything in working order. No pool. Despite letting them know I was HHonors Gold, they quoted some absurd sum to use the sauna or steam room ($15 per half hour as I recall), so we didn't use it needless to say. As happens more than half the time at Hampton Inns, I was not recognized as a Gold HHonors, and had to call the front desk to remind them to bring me a bottle of water and snack (despite the fact that I had e-checked in through [--]).
Here's the bad design paragraph. This hotel has 10 floors with 121 regular rooms and 44 suites. Although the elevators are quite fast, who in his right mind would think that two small elevators would be adequate to handle the traffic? At times they were so full that people could not cram in further and had to wait for another elevator. Also, the breakfast area was tiny and had only two toasters, each capable of handling one English muffin or one bagel. One would think that anyone with at least 9 or 10 neurons in his brain could figure out that this wouldn't be adequate for a hotel of this size. People litterally had to eat standing up.
The parking situation was also bad. When we brought the car in, we were asked for and gave them the time we would be leaving. When we arrived at exactly the stated time, however, our car was against the fence with at least three cars in front of it and on either side. Obviously this ended up being a rather time-consuming experience. Wasn't it obvious to someone when they were building the hotel that it would need a modest parking structure rather than a tiny lot?
Other than the nice rooms, however, there was another reason I was overall satisfied (albeit not entirely pleased) with the hotel. Their upscale restaurant, Yono's, was definitely a memorable dining experience. At $49, their rijstaffel was both delicious and reasonably-priced (with some extras included, i.e. amuse-bouches), although the service wasn't as spectacular as the food quality.
All in all, I felt I had received a reasonable value for the $80/night I paid. I would have rated them lower had I paid more for the reasons I mentioned. Nevertheless, I could have booked the Crowne Plaza for about the same price that night, and I ended up wishing I had. This place is nice, but I could have done without the needless frustrations.

Stayed: September 2006
6  Thank lebelgo
Reviewed August 23, 2006

I frequently stay at Hampton Inn hotels, and this property was more than satisfactory. It's a relatively new Hampton Inn. I arrived in Albany via Amtak. The hotel is a short cab ride (approx. $10) away. If you need a car, there is a Hertz rental agency in the Crowne Plaza hotel a few blocks away. The hotel is close to downtown restaurants. The area is pleasant and on the upswing. Worth your consideration if staying in Albany.

Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Keystone_Traveler
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We were attending an event at the Palace Theater and stayed at this Hotel. The rooms were very nice ; the staff was very professional. However the parking situation is poor. I was not prepared to give up my keys to my car to someone I had never met. I guess the reason for this situation is that there is not much parking and they have to utilize every inch of space. When we left on Sunday morning the attendants had to move several cars to get to ours. Everything worked out well but it's kind of "clumsey". We WILL stay there again though ; it's very close to the Pepsi Arena and the Palace Theater AND YOU CAN VERY EASILY WALK TO EITHER.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Mauiman
Reviewed May 8, 2006

I'm a big fan of Hampton Inns, but this location didn't live up to other experiences I have had at the same chain. While the lobby is impressive (and very nice to arrive at after driving through some dicey areas of town trying to find the hotel), the amenities were decidedly second class.

The front desk personnel were fine, but not terribly welcoming. Setting the tone, there was no warm, free cookie at the desk on arrival. And the rooms didn't have a bottle of water provided. OK, I admit these are quibbles. Are these things needed? - No. But all other Hampton Inns I have stayed at (a lot) have had these waiting for their guests - a nice way to greet weary travellers. So I noticed the difference.

All the lighting in the room was compact fluorescent, which was harsh. No incandescent anywhere, including bedside. Most importantly, the wireless connection was weak and unreliable (kept cutting out). The LAN cable at the desk worked fine, but I really, really wanted to sit in bed and use the wireless. Oh well.

Lastly, the neighborhood seemed a bit unsettled - There was random yelling from the streets at various points throughout the night. I was only there one night, so this may not be a regular issue - but it did affect my sleep for the one night I was there.

All in all , not terrible, but not great either. I wouldn't stay here again unless I had to be downtown for some reason.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business