“Lousy Service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I stayed at this hotel back in Oct 2008 for the NYSFLT Conference which was held in nearby Saratoga NY. I made reservations at this hotel as Saratoga had no vacancies anywhere and specifically asked if I could use my debit/credit card to hold the room but pay cash as my bank only allowed a charge of $100.00 a day. I was assured my card wouldn't be charged and payed cash upon arrival. When I departed I signed the bill with the zero balance all was well, so I thought. A couple days later I checked my bank statement and was indeed charged on my card. I called customer service and they said they noted in computer where I paid in cash in full and it was just a temporary hold and would be reversed after a couple of days. After a week passed and charges never reveresed I called Customer Service again where I explained the situation and was given the same information. I even went as far as emailing Customer Service to keep a paper trail and someone called me however gave me the same promises. Needless to say, it is now April and to no ssurprise they did nothing.
The NYSFLT Conference is having another meeting at the end of this month in Albany and I would strongly warn anyone of staying there unless you don't mind being double charged. Its a shame they didn't investigate the matter as these conferences could bring in alot of revenue for that hotel and I know my fellow colleagues will not give patronage to this hotel as I have already warned others of my mishap.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed April 1, 2009

A group of students and one teacher stayed at this hotel at the end of the March to attend an interior design event. The hotel had a great location, it was close to the Legislative Building, only about a 5 minute drive if that, and close to area restuarants. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was great. When you first step foot into the hotel you have to think twice about what type of hotel you are in because it has an excellent design and the decor is wonderful. The atmosphere is great and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I have stayed twice at this hotel and will return on my next visit. Good hot breakfast every morning and a on site restaurant. Setup well for business with wireless internet and a business center. Convenient to downtown business locations.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2008

I stayed here for one night in early October. Overall, the hotel was nice, clean, and the staff was friendly. I'd stay here again. The only problem is that it's Albany, so there's not a lot to do. You might be served to stay at another property outside of city limits to save a few bucks, but the Hampton is a nice place to stay. The DP restaurant attached looks nice, but the food is bland and overpriced. Stay here, but eat somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed October 7, 2008

This Hampton is one of their more upscale city hotels. It has a restaurant and bar. Lobby area was very nice for a Hampton. Typical breakfast. Accommodating front desk staff. I had made separate reservations for the two nights to get better rates. They combined them when I checked in so I didn't have to move. Requested and received a quiet room. I stay at Hilton hotels a lot so I was upgraded to a "suite". It was a very large room with a mini kitchen and a Hampton normal shower only bathroom. Furnishings were comfortable. Reported a missing light bulb, trash on floor under kitchen sink, and loose faucet first morning. Told it would be taken care of. Came back to room in the evening. Nothing had been fixed, trashcan hadn't been emptied, used washcloth left in shower, floor not vacuumed, bathroom counter not cleaned, etc. I think the housekeeper just somewhat straightened the bed linens and changed towels. Made me wonder what hadn't been cleaned before I checked in.
I didn't have a car to park but overheard some complaints about feeling uncomfortable about walking back from the self parking.
It was a very convenient hotel for me. I would stay there again for the price I paid.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I spent three nights at this hotel while attending a conference at the nearby Palace Theater.

As described in previous reviews, this place is very clean and comfortable. It has been recently renovated - furnishings look quite new. The beds are very comfortable. The desk staff is friendly. The breakfast buffet is very good, though they don't serve eggs every day. Even the housekeeping staff seem quite friendly, and they did not knock on our door at 8 a.m. and wake us up (a pet peeve).

As recommended, I requested and received a quiet room facing the back. I don't know how noisy the front is -- there is nothing directly in front except a parking lot, but it's a college town and there are clubs and restaurants in the general area. The back of the hotel also faces a large parking lot but there is no activity on that side and it's quiet.

They have a nice fitness room with new equipment - a couple of treadmills, a couple of bikes, an elliptical, and another resistance-type machine.

We had only a minor need for service, when the TV stopped working, and a staff person came to the room just minutes after I called and fixed it.

As with every hotel, the less you pay, the more value you get - and I had a convention rate of $109, which made this a really excellent value.

If you are attending a concert or show at the Pacific Theater, it's only a block away, and the "Egg" theater is about a 6-block walk (though I wouldn't walk at night unless in a large group, as the surrounding area is a typical downtown area that is deserted at night - no problem during the day).

A previous reviewer had an internet problem -- I had no problem at all during this stay - fast and easy.

The only thing missing is a safe in the room.

Overall I felt this was an excellent choice for a downtown hotel and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My wife and I were there over the graduation weekend for SUNY Albany. Despite the hotel being booked solid, we found the room quiet, clean and comfortable. Check in staff were helpful.

The bar and restaurant are outstanding with friendly service.
My two points for improving are that the seating area for the breakfast was packed so we had to eat in our room. (The buffet itself was OK). The second point is that it is hard to get a cab in Albany and there are no taxi stands near the hotel. Your best bet is to ask the desk to call you one. However the location is great and there are many bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. (Lark street is more of an uphill hike from the hotel but still not all that bad)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple