1,187 results
All reviews front desk valet parking palace theatre within walking distance valet service restaurants and bars complimentary breakfast albany downtown parking lot times union center business trip very nice hotel fresh fruit waffles the breakfast area new york convenient location
Reviewed October 7, 2008

This Hampton is one of their more upscale city hotels. It has a restaurant and bar. Lobby area was very nice for a Hampton. Typical breakfast. Accommodating front desk staff. I had made separate reservations for the two nights to get better rates. They combined them when I checked in so I didn't have to move. Requested and received a quiet room. I stay at Hilton hotels a lot so I was upgraded to a "suite". It was a very large room with a mini kitchen and a Hampton normal shower only bathroom. Furnishings were comfortable. Reported a missing light bulb, trash on floor under kitchen sink, and loose faucet first morning. Told it would be taken care of. Came back to room in the evening. Nothing had been fixed, trashcan hadn't been emptied, used washcloth left in shower, floor not vacuumed, bathroom counter not cleaned, etc. I think the housekeeper just somewhat straightened the bed linens and changed towels. Made me wonder what hadn't been cleaned before I checked in.
I didn't have a car to park but overheard some complaints about feeling uncomfortable about walking back from the self parking.
It was a very convenient hotel for me. I would stay there again for the price I paid.

Date of stay: October 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I spent three nights at this hotel while attending a conference at the nearby Palace Theater.

As described in previous reviews, this place is very clean and comfortable. It has been recently renovated - furnishings look quite new. The beds are very comfortable. The desk staff is friendly. The breakfast buffet is very good, though they don't serve eggs every day. Even the housekeeping staff seem quite friendly, and they did not knock on our door at 8 a.m. and wake us up (a pet peeve).

As recommended, I requested and received a quiet room facing the back. I don't know how noisy the front is -- there is nothing directly in front except a parking lot, but it's a college town and there are clubs and restaurants in the general area. The back of the hotel also faces a large parking lot but there is no activity on that side and it's quiet.

They have a nice fitness room with new equipment - a couple of treadmills, a couple of bikes, an elliptical, and another resistance-type machine.

We had only a minor need for service, when the TV stopped working, and a staff person came to the room just minutes after I called and fixed it.

As with every hotel, the less you pay, the more value you get - and I had a convention rate of $109, which made this a really excellent value.

If you are attending a concert or show at the Pacific Theater, it's only a block away, and the "Egg" theater is about a 6-block walk (though I wouldn't walk at night unless in a large group, as the surrounding area is a typical downtown area that is deserted at night - no problem during the day).

A previous reviewer had an internet problem -- I had no problem at all during this stay - fast and easy.

The only thing missing is a safe in the room.

Overall I felt this was an excellent choice for a downtown hotel and I would highly recommend it.

Date of stay: June 2008
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My wife and I were there over the graduation weekend for SUNY Albany. Despite the hotel being booked solid, we found the room quiet, clean and comfortable. Check in staff were helpful.

The bar and restaurant are outstanding with friendly service.
My two points for improving are that the seating area for the breakfast was packed so we had to eat in our room. (The buffet itself was OK). The second point is that it is hard to get a cab in Albany and there are no taxi stands near the hotel. Your best bet is to ask the desk to call you one. However the location is great and there are many bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. (Lark street is more of an uphill hike from the hotel but still not all that bad)

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I have stayed here twice in recent months with colleagues on business in the area. The rooms were very comfortable, especially the beds. A nice touch: the padded lap desk! The workout room was a decent size and reasonably well equipped. The restaurant in the building is good, and in particular has a decent wine list. I've stayed elsewhere in the area, and this place is well up on my list.

Date of stay: February 2008
Reviewed February 3, 2008

The reviews for the property were dead on. I checked in for business at a great rate of $119 a night. The hotel lobby is lovely, new, well maintained. The rooms are new, bed is great, bathrooms more upscale than other other hotels in this price range. Oddly no tub though. Furniture is on the cheap looking side and no flat panel TV, though that's fine.

So after accessing that the room was great I attempte to log on to the internet--no service. I called downstairs and there was confusion, I was transferred to a # that was never picked up, and was then told that they had no idea when to expect internet service again. They also told me that

As I was there to work and as it was Super Bowl Sunday, there was no way I was going to work from the hotel's business center.

So I checke out and went up the street to the Crowne Plaza--an AWFUL hotel that is $50 more a night, but at least they have internet access.

A shame--the hotel was nice. They need to get their wires in order.

Date of stay: February 2008