“Good option if you need to stay in Albany”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I think the 2.5 star rating is appropriate, and my rating indicates that it is a very good 2.5 star hotel. My experience was consistent with other reviewers in that I found the the hotel was clean and the service was very good. I was here on business this month and the hotel was selected by someone else. The white florescent lighting in the rooms does nothing for me, but overall the decor of the room was OK. However, the furnishings were spartan. I'm not seeing the high "excellent" rating of others but on the other hand I don't know why a few people are getting so worked up over the parking charge. Compared to other cities that's not an outrageous charge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
kyledzembo, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

MATravelerBOS,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on our property via tripadvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us overall. The lighting is something I that has not been brought to my attention before, however perhaps it is something to be considered. I do wish there was a way for us to get that "excellent" rating from you. If you have any further suggestions I welcome them with open arms. We are always looking to better ourselves! Thank you again for your response!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here for a concert at the Palace Theater which is a block away! Very nice hotel, staff very friendly, rooms clean, beds comfy. The only downside, not a lot of food options near hotel after concert ended, area is kind of dead. Parking in back of hotel with a fee, not an issue for me though, it was safer than the street. Breakfast in the morning is very convenient and well stocked. Overall nice place to stay and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

DeniseB62,

I hope you enjoyed the event you attended at the Palace Theater! I am surprised you had a difficult time finding dining options after your event (unless you were here on a Sunday which in case dining is rather limited). We do have two great restaurants on property that serve until 11:30 pm in addition to the many dining options in the area. Perhaps we did not do a good enough job assisting with dining options. :( I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, however. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us via tripadvisor.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here on a Saturday night to go to a concert at the Times Union Center - less than a 10-minute walk away! Check-in was very easy and the two guys working at the front desk were very friendly and helpful, although they didn't mention it would be a $13 fee to park the car. Room was clean and my requests for a high floor away from the elevator were met. The only thing I could possibly complain about was they were very slow in replenishing breakfast. The whole lobby was filled with people waiting around because every tray was empty. Other than that though, it was a great stay. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

cmasters4,

First off I hope you enjoyed the concert at the times union center this weekend! Also, thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor and leaving us with great feedback. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time with us! I do apologize for the slow replenishing at breakfast. If you are ever in need of any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact myself directly! Thank you again for sharing your experience!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Love to stay here when on business in Albany, NY. Very friendly staff willing to help with anything you need. Two restaurants in the hotel which are great! Of course it is near to the Victory cafe too:) rooms here are very clean and comfortable. Parking, if you drive, is behind the hotel for a reasonable fee and accommodating staff. There are other hotels in the downtown area, but none are better than this Hampton Inn!

Room Tip: Try to get a king room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

elainewny,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to review us on tripadvisor! I'm happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will certainly be sharing with the restaurant your kind words about your experiences there as well. I do hope you stay with us again in the near future! If you need any assistance with future reservations please do not hesitate to contact myself directly. Thank you again for writing a review on your stay with us!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had an almost perfect stay at the Hampton Inn in downtown Albany. It is central to all the attractions, the bathroom in our room was modern, the beds are comfortable, it was quiet even though they seemed pretty full, the breakfast was delicious and the African American lady looking after the breakfast area was very nice and eager to help out. It was almost perfect, but not quite; the big letdown was the parking. It was full when we arrived and the parking attendants at the back were not particularly helpful, more interested in flirting with young ladies wanting a parking spot, and we had to park a block and a half away! If it wasn't for the parking issue, I would've given this Hampton Inn a five star rating as it was almost perfect and looked even better than some HGI I've stayed in at other locations.

KYP2007,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor. I truly apologize about your less than stellar experience regarding our parking situation. There are rare times that our parking lot cannot fit all the cars of incoming guests. We do offer additional parking options when this happens. This does not excuse the behavior you mentioned in your response however which I will be addressing with the company that owns and operates the parking lot. I am thrilled that the rest of your experience was a positive one, however! If you are ever in need of any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact myself directly. Thank you again for providing us with feedback!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We had 2 rooms this past Friday at the Hampton Inn & Suites and it was wonderful. The staff were friendly and helpful and gave a great dinner recommendation to the Victory Cafe just across the street. We had a chance to meet the General Manager, Todd at check out and he was very friendly and I can see why it's such a great property. Would definately stay again and recommend to all who are traveling to or through Albany. The rooms were very clean and the breakfast was great Saturday morning. Great location, just wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Both of our rooms were great with a view of the city.

kklmom,

What a wonderful review you left about your stay with us! Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your experience. I hope that you stay with us again in the near future. Our general manager you met truly does set the example which trickles down throughout our staff. If you are ever in need of any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact myself directly. Thank you again for providing us with feedback on your stay with us.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Another wonderful Hampton Inn and Suites! The front desk, breakfast, housekeeping and valet staff all were consistently friendly, efficient, helpful, and pleasant! Everyone we met on staff was eager to be of assistance. Our room (we were upgraded to a Queen suite) was spacious, comfortable and clean. There was ample seating, a kitchenette and good desk space. The bathroom was clean and bright. The sofa bed was even fairly comfortable. The fitness room was one of the nicer ones I've seen, spacious, with extras such as a yoga mat and exercise ball available in addition to machines and floor space. There were two great restaurants attached to the hotel. We ate in "dp" twice. Fantastic and convenient. The lobby and breakfast area were attractive and in good condition as was the hotel in general. Breakfast was a typical Hampton breakfast, which offers a variety of fruits, beverages, proteins and pastries. Hotel was located within walking distance of the Egg and Empire State Plaza and the downtown sights. We stayed overnight and look forward to staying there again!

dsgs,

Wow! What a great review to read about your stay with us! I'm thrilled that accross the board we were able to exceed your expecations consistantly. We pride ourselves in the service we provide and it is always nice to know that our hard work is appreciated. I can't wait to share this review with my staff as I know it will make their day! If you are ever in need of any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact myself directly. Thank you again for taking the time to review your experience with us here on tripadvisor.