“Genuine welcome”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Albany. Once you get over the fact you have to pay extra for parking (open air valet parking is behind the hotel, directly attached) which is normal for many downtown hotels, things get better.

The rooms I've had were clean, large and spacious. The highlight of this trip was Meaghan at the check-in counter. Perhaps the most genuinely friendly welcome at a hotel in quite some time. Very nice. the sales manager comped us to a larger suite with a whirlpool tub.

Probably my go-to hotel in Albany - very easily accessible off the highway.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel! We love to hear all feedback from our guests. Meaghan is one of best team members! She truly cares about the guests and strives to exceeded their expectations! Everyone at the hotel works very hard to provide the best service possible to our guests. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed here for two nights. Short walk literally to the Palace Theater which was the reason for choosing this hotel. Reception was very welcoming. Staff was very pleasant the entire stay. Room was clean and nice, bathroom was roomy with a shower instead of a tub which was nice. Furnishings were modern counter height vanity flat screen TV. Bathroom vent worked really good a little loud but no fog. Beds were a little hard though they provided two different pillows one feathered and one regular? Both were uncomfortable I keep forgetting to bring my own pillow. Free WiFi which was nice. I didn't like that the air conditioner was next to the desk so when I was using my laptop the air was blowing directly on me so I had to turn off the air. Lobby was nice to relax in also 24 hr coffee & tea was available. Our room also had a coffee maker in it. Complimentary B'fast was good make your own waffle,cereal hot & cold, bagels, eggs and more was a plus. My husband used the gym while I went to the ballet they had a TV, two treadmills, two bikes and a Elliptical machine. We also dined in the onsite BP Restaurant which was reasonably priced and good. I would definitely stay here again if I had to come back to Albany. The area while we were here was boring though everything was closed . There was nothing to see or do the capital was closed so when I mean nothing I mean nothing. But I came here to see a Russian ballet so mission accomplished.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your business and for writing a review! We are very glad you stayed with us and were able to enjoy all of the services we offer for our guests while seeing the Ballet at the Palace Theater down the street. We are actually in the middle of redoing our fitness center so they next time you are in Albany, the fitness center will be completely renovated and new! We hope you loved the Ballet and we look forward to seeing you in the next time you come to Albany!

Reviewed November 10, 2011

We bought tickets for a concert at the Palace Theater in Albany recently and decided to make an evening of it. The reviews for the Hampton Inn were great and the proximity (about 2 blocks) prompted me to book a room. The service, from check in to check out, was professional and at the same time warm and friendly. The room (on the 7th floor) was very quiet. The elevators are fast so the 7th floor was never an issue. The "breakfast" area is centrally located in sight of the front desk. The style and placement of the furniture made it seem more like a great room you would find in a nice home. The restaurant inside the hotel was fantastic and very convenient.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel! The Palace Theater is extremely close to the hotel as well as the Capital Repertory Theater! I am glad you were able to enjoy the two restaurants on site along with the complimentary breakfast. I will share your review with my entire team. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you the next time you attend a show at the Theater!

Reviewed November 2, 2011

new ,,modern ,,friendly ,, excellent free breakfast ,,spacious rooms ,, treat yourself and stay here

Room Tip: any room is great ,, we had a mini suite and it was as good as home ,,
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for sharing your experience with us! It means a lot to myself and my entire team when our guests take the time to tell us their thoughts about the hotel. We want our guests to feel right at home with our clean rooms and friendly staff so it makes traveling a little easier! Thank you again and we hope to see you the next time you come to Albany!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Breakfast, service, room - all was what we expect from the name of the hotel group. Even before my stay, the staff went out of their way to answer my email queries, and upgraded me when I arrived. The room was spotless, comfortable, and a great location if you are to take the NY bar exam which is a 15 minute walk away.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to share your thoughts of the hotel and staff! We are so glad you had a great experience with us. Our entire team works very hard at providing the best possible service for our guests. We are very close to the where the NY Bar exam is held. We hope you did great on the exam! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Albany.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This was an unusual experience for us. We normally seek out Hampton Inns because of the quality and service.

At first, all was the usual nice, clean room with the expected customer service.

All was well until about 4am when the guests next door arrived. The slamming door woke us out of a sound sleep, and we were treated to a loud entourage of people entering and exiting the room. It was then that we realized the walls were virtually paper thin as we were able to hear every word of the conversations and "other noise" as if we were spectators in the room. We called down to the front desk at one point to complain, but that didn't help much. It finally quieted down around 6-630am. We were able to get couple hours of sleep before they started up again around 830.

We gave up. Ate the usual Hampton Inn powder egg breakfast and left.

• Stayed: October 2011
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about the disappointments you experienced. We do take guest complaints very seriously since we want our guests to be have a relaxing and quiet nights sleep. We have a security guard on every night and two guards on during the weekend to handle any situations that may arise. I am sorry that they were not utilized fully the night you stayed with us. I will be sharing your feedback with my night crew so they are more aware of what is occurring on the floors to prevent this happening in the future.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

Arrived around 10pm, boy the route taken from the airport seem like a scary movie. I was waiting for someone to jump out at me. Checkin easy booked a king, young lady said they oversold and had two queens. Asked about a CVS or Rite Aid around and she said it's closed. Offered water or soda from the pantry because of the no king rooms and I accepted. Up to the 8th floor and ok room, kinda dark until all the lights were turned on. Not too spaceous, but I was only in the room to sleep. Fairly quiet, could hear other guests entering rooms, but nothing where it would startle you. Looked out the window, saw my car parked on the street, where I had left it, no other cars around, looking really isolated. Woke up to use the fitness center, two treadmills, two cardio machines, and a water cooler. Breakfast was ok, all the hot foods tasted powdery and dry. Before I left, asked the night clerk about parking, as I thought I booked a parking rate included, she said yes, she would take care of the parking charges, if there were any. Returned, parked, it was valet. Asked the clerk where the Subway Sandwich Shop was, directed me four blocks away. Walked pass six bars within two block. Saw the Rite Aid closed before 8pm. Back to the room, quiet night and early checkout.

• Stayed: October 2011
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I wish you were able to experience and see more of Albany! The downtown area is very quiet at night. However during the day, it is thriving with people and interesting things to do and visit. There is a Subway very close as well as different restaurants and diners for you to enjoy. If you are in area again, just visit the front desk and we can supply you with a variety of attractions to see.