“Top Notch Front Desk Arrival Experience”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hartford, Connecticut
“Top Notch Front Desk Arrival Experience”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Ok, let's get the bad out of the way first which happens to be one's first experience with the hotel if driving and parking here. There are no signs that are logical directing one to either 1) park your car yourself and then hand the keys to the valet or 2) Hand the keys to the valet and the valet will park your car. Since the valet is not anywhere near where you enter, you have no direction. The first day I parked myself then handed my keys to the valet. The second day, I got yelled at when I was parking to bring the car over to the valet hut because they needed to park the car. A simple, large sign or someone working where you pull in would be very helpful and allot more friendly.

The front desk person (named Bennie I think) was awesome. He was friendly, took care of some admin stuff for me, and even offered a unsolicited wake up call for me. Kudos!

The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn which works for me. Good job. Nice lobby.
The room was fine. Not huge but perfectly fine with a flat screen TV and perfectly fine bathroom (a tub for you soakers).

About a block and a half away is Steuben's Athletic Club which you should ask the front desk about if the fitness center is crowded or doesn't meet your needs. Nice benefit!

If I don't crash my car into the valet hut after being yelled at next time, I will return to the excellent hospitality of the front desk and the nicely located Hampton Inn, Downtown Albany.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your past stay with us. I am very sorry about the confusion you experienced with the parking. I will definitely address this with my team as well as the parking lot, since they are managed by a different company, to prevent any confusion in the future.

I am glad you had such an enjoyable experience with Bennie! He is so great with all of the guests and truly cares about everyone who walks through the door! I will definitely share your review with him as I know it will make his day! I am very glad to hear you were able to experience the Steuben Club. It is a great facility that we work very closely with to give our guests a variety of different gym equipment. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Albany.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Hebrew first
New York
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed here on my husbands business trip. Since it was pet friendly we took our dogs with us. There is a great place to walk dogs across the street. The room was decent, typical Hampton Inn. The bed could have been better, but it's a Hampton Inn so you can't really complain much, what do you expect?

We had a couple of negative experiences though. When we got there they were having some problems with their fire alarm. The next day it went off midday. I did what anyone would do when the alarm goes off - I used the emergency exit to leave the building, grabbing both my small dogs and lugging them down the many, many, many stairs. We got outside to find the firetrucks and no one outside. I took them across the street to walk them and after a while went back inside to find nothing else changed. Everyone at the front desk were completely normal, as if, duh, this was a test or false alarm. I asked if I could use the elevator and go back to my room and I got the same expression of duh. Nice. I get to my room {mind you I have the two dogs} to find that the alarm did something to the key and my key no longer works. Nice. I had to lug them back downstairs and get a new one.

Our other issue was we wanted a late checkout. We had to pay in order to get one. Whatever. My husband was in a meeting all day and I wanted someplace to stay with the dogs, so we paid the half day fee in order to check out late. We had THREE people come to the door asking me when I was going to check out. THREE! On THREE separate occasions. Two didn't know I had paid for a late checkout and one wanted to know when we were leaving. Very annoying.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am very sorry you feel you had an unpleasant stay - we definitely want our guests to have a good experience when spending time with us and we treat reviews like yours very seriously. They help make us better in how we service our guests.

Please understand that legally we are required to test our fire alarm system periodically throughout each month. We have a hotel policy that in advance of such tests we notify our guests so we don't cause unnecessary panic. We did inform our guests about the test and we apologize if for some reason you didn't receive our notification.

Our hotel has a very high occupancy rate and we try to balance late departure requests with promised arrival times for incoming guests. We accommodate whenever we can but there are situations when this is not possible and we must charge for late departures. We did honor your request for a late check out and I apologize for the interruptions throughout the day.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The hotel is very nice, one of the best Hampton Inns i've ever stayed in. The rate was only 111 (for work) and they put me in a suite which was bigger than a lot of apartments ive been in. The breakfast is hot and included. There is a lot near by - restaurants and bars, i like the area. Definately would stay here if i'm ever in Albany again.

G Man

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a kind review about our hotel! I am very glad you were able to enjoy our breakfast and visit the restaurants and bars downtown! Our suites are very nice as well as our standard rooms. My entire team is very excited for your next stay with us in Albany!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The hotel promises "warm welcome, comfort and convenience".

I did get a very warm welcome with a smile and a prompt check-in. The lobby area has more charm and style that you would expect from a Hampton Inn. There are large leather chairs and nice tables. Welcoming.

The room was quite spacious and surprisingly well appointed. It had a working desk, a long chair to read, a flat screen TV and free wifi access. The bed was comfortable. It is not a Heavenly Bed, but I had a good night of sleep. The room and bathroom was clean. The bathroom was of a good size. However, it only had a shower cabin and no tub. I know it is a trend in the hotel industry to get rid of the tub, but I still like to soak in bath tub. The air cond was noisy but efficient.

The hotel is well located in downtown Albany just a block off Pear St where there are multiple restaurants and bars. I must say that Sunday night was quiet in downtown Albany ! Parking is easily available.

The breakfast in the morning although offering a nice selection was quite ordinary and not everything on display was the freshest. They could easily do better.

In summary, they live up to what they annonce. I've stayed at more "upscale" hotels that were a lot worst than this hotel. Accomodation done right !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel! it means a lot to myself and my entire team when our guests take the time to grade us. I will pass along this review to my entire team so they can know how they are doing!
Half of our rooms do have tubs in the bathroom so the next time you stay with us, just let the front desk know you would prefer a room with a tub and they will take care of you! Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again very soon!
North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Clean spacious rooms. Great service. Breakfast was filling and fresh.

• Stayed September 2011
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel! We love to hear any feedback from our guest as we are always looking for ways to improve. I am glad you were able to stay with us and enjoy our great continental breakfast. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Albany!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 24, 2011

we had a four day stay here and really could not fault the place at all. The price was very cheap and the only additional charge we had was for parking which is 12$ a day. The buffet breakfast was great and catered for every taste. It even had made up breakfast for people on the move which was a great touch. Free coffee fruit and even cookies if you were lucky to enjoy in the lobby which was a great place to relax in the afternoon. The rooms were perfect and the bed very comfortable, bathrooms facilities were very spacious with a massive supply of towels which is always good if you miss house keeping.vending machines and ice on each floor, if you feel peckish at night. The staff were top quality, really friendly and always helpfull to any needs during our stay. Very safe and trustworthy also as i left my gps in the lobby and when I returned it had been picked up by one of the maintenance staff and handed into reception which avioded alot of stress on my part. Its a perfect location for the local albany area as it is located right in the centre of the night life and restaurants. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the albany area as it fits every requirement perfectly

Room Tip: the third floor if possible has a little extra
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for writing such an amazing review about the hotel!! I am very glad you were able to enjoy the complimentary breakfast. There are so many options that you will definitely not leave hungry! And my favorite part is definitely the cookies at night! Every single employee at the hotel works very hard to provide the best service for our guests and I cannot wait to pass on your review to my entire team. If you should need anything in the future, please feel free to let us know. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to see you soon very soon!
Galway
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We were only staying in Albany for one night and this hotel was perfect location, dead center. The hotel itself was really nice and the staff very friendly, although, they seemed to be a bit short staffed as there was no one to help us with our bags. But they did have a bell hop trolley, it was just a little hard to handle. There was a private function on in the bar, and it was totally closed off to the public, which meant we couldn't get a drink while waiting for friends in the lobby!!! The breakfast next morning was really good and the staff were very helpful and re-organised my taxi which had arrived 1 hour early!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel! Our location is perfect since we are located in downtown Albany! If you ever need help with our bags in the future, please do not hesitate to ask the front desk and someone will gladly assist you with your luggage! Dp's has a great bar but unfortunately, they are closed on Sundays. Any other day of the week, they are open and would love to make you drink while waiting for friends to arrive! We hope to see you again very soon!