“Improved service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed for a night with DH in July. Thought service improved greatly compared to a summer stay last year. Front desk was always staffed, staff was helpful not only with hotel issues, but also local information and recommendations. Our room was spotless, the bed comfortable, and the air-conditioning powerful, but not too loud (another improvement). Free breakfast, in-room coffee, and wi-fi. There is a sundry shop at the front desk if you need water, medicine, ice cream. Bottom-line is that this is a great choice for downtown Albany.
Just be careful in this area - things get rough pretty quickly if you walk behind the hotel. Suggest taking advantage of the hotel's gated parking lot and either driving to dinner or only walking on the main street in front of the hotel at night to nearby restaurants.
Enjoy Albany!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel! We love hearing all feedback from our guests so we can continue to improve. We are consistently working at becoming an even better hotel and I am so glad that you noticed our increased efforts! Thank you for giving our hotel a second shot. My entire team truly appreciates you staying with us again. We live for our guests and nothing satisfies us more than when our guests have an incredible experience and continuing to stay with us. We cannot wait to see you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed August 20, 2011

My wife and I chose to use the Hampton inn for our primary hotel for our wedding. The staff was very helpful in setting up our room block and whenever we came to Albany for wedding planning the staff would automatically upgrade us to the suit rooms. This gave us the chance to really see what the hotel would be like.

We made all the arrangements and when the time came things did go well for the most part. A few little things happened that really annoyed me. I was staying with my groomsmen the nights before the wedding but they wouldn't give us more than a couple towels. There were four of us and three towels. After multiple phone calls eventually I had to go down to the lobby and wait for them to bring us the towels. The only other problem was that the tub in one of the guests rooms didn't have any hot water and it took 2 days of complaining for them to fix it.

The rooms were all clean and ready for us. No complaints there. They let us use a banquet room for our buffet breakfast after the wedding so we could all visit before everyone went home.

Wedding tip: make sure you sign up for hhonors reward points thing because they give you a bonus for room blocks!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to tell us about your experience at our hotel! We are so glad you had your wedding party stay with us. It was a very busy weekend but that is unacceptable about the delay in your requests. I will definitely talk to my entire team about the issue to ensure it will not happen again. We appreciate all of our guests feedback, as we are always looking for ways to improve. Thank you for having your wedding party at the hotel and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We went to Albany for a weekend away and stayed at the Hampton Inn downtown. I always stay at the Hilton family hotels because of the customer service and cleanliness of the hotels. This Hampton Inn more than exceeds the Hilton standard. When we checked in on Friday evening, the front desk manager assisted us. She was one of the most genuinely friendly people I've encountered. It was clear to see that she loved her job and took pride in it. Our room was HUGE, clean and comfortable. The valet parking was quick and easy- we did not have to wait for our car and the staff was very polite.

The hotel is in a great location downtown. Almost everything is in walking distance. A word of advice to visitors, if you plan on touring the capitol or the museum, make sure you visit on a weekday as they are closed on weekend. I can't say enough about how friendly the hotel staff was. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for writing such a kind review about our hotel! I will definitely pass the review on to my team since we love hearing what our guests have to say. We strive to put customer satisfaction before anything else and I would love to celebrate our front desk manager for their superior customer service! If you remember her name, please let me know so she can be celebrated!
I do wish the museums were open on the weekends as well but it is still a beautiful place to walk around. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Good location to the interstate and downtown Albany. Hotel was very clean and staff was very nice. Great lounged area in the hotel, DPs and a very nice high end restaurant also. Parking lot being the building is worth small fee.

• Stayed: September 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our lobby . Hopefully you were able to sit in the lobby and enjoy the coffee and tea we have available 24/7! We truly love receiving feedback from our guests. We hope you stay with us again the next time you are in Albany!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I chose this hotel because they allow large dogs and I have a large dog and needed a place to stay in Albany. This was my first time traveling with my dog and this hotel was wonderful. They would be great with or without a dog. I liked the valet parking. It was worth the extra bucks. I may be going back to Albany next year, and I would stay there again, and bring my dog.

• Stayed: June 2011
kyledzembo, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

Thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to share your thoughts of the hotel and staff! We are thrilled you had a great experience with us and look forward to having you as a return guest in the future. I'm also glad you found the parking lot worth the fee and will be sharing this with our friends in Maiden Lane, the management company who operates the parking lot. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 8, 2011

This Hampton Inn is one of the nicer ones. Because it is nicer and it is downtown, the price reflects that and is more expensive than most Hampton Inns. The rooms were very nice and very clean. They do have the Hampton Inn touch where they've thought out every little detail. We ate at the restaurant attached to the hotel. They are both very nice and you can order off of both menus when one is closed. The complimentary breakfast was also very good. The wi-fi was free and was pretty good. The only negative is that you have to pay for parking. This can get expensive if you're staying multiple nights. It is a very nice hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review about our hotel. We are glad you had such an enjoyable experience and felt the "Hampton Touch" while staying with us. We pride ourselves on great customer service and we appreciate all feedback from our guests! Unfortunely, since we are located right downtown parking is limited. We hope to see you again and we truly value you as a guest!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn while taking the NY bar exam in downtown Albany, and I was very glad to have gotten a reservation -- my friends who were staying farther away had the stress of driving downtown each morning of the exam, while I only had a 5 min walk, and I could come back to the hotel during lunch breaks. The location is perfect for walking anywhere downtown, and is also easy to get to from the highway.

Pros: Service was excellent, free internet was appreciated, my bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom and shower were clean and reasonably spacious. Free breakfast in the mornings included make-your-own waffles, hot eggs and sausages, and cold pastries, cereals, and yogurt -- nothing gourmet, but impressive for a free breakfast! I also ate dinner twice at ''dp An American Brasserie," the hotel's casual restaurant, which was very good value (e.g., Asian glazed Pacific salmon for $16 and chicken satay for $2.50).

Cons: After the first night of the exam, the hotel's fire alarm went off around 9 PM and I had to walk down many flights of stairs to the lobby, but the managers were extremely apologetic (it was some problem with the steam room); had it been 2 AM I would have been more annoyed. My biggest complaint was probably that the walls were somewhat thin, so I could hear when someone was talking on the phone in an adjoining room, but this wasn't a problem once I turned my room's AC fan to always-on. Also, while I (as always) checked my mattress for bedbugs and saw that it was clean, a friend of mine in the same hotel who didn't check ended up with lots of bedbug bites -- so you should definitely check, since this can be a problem at even the fanciest hotels.

But despite these problems, I'll be back -- I don't know of a better combination of service, comfort, and value in downtown Albany.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa O
kyledzembo, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us! I'm glad my staff made you feel welcome and we were able to deliver strong customer service across multiple departments. It certainly is an exciting time for us when the bar exam is in town! It is nice to know our efforts are noticed by our valued guests as we strive to outstanding customer service to each and every guest. Please accept my sincerest apology as I'm sure the fire alarm being pulled was quite the inconvenience. Luckily my staff and I are trained to respond to such events to insure our guests are safe and taken care of. Also, regarding the potential bed bug issue that was brought to our attention I am pleased to inform after a thurough inspection no bed bugs were found! Again, thank you so much for your comments and it is comforting to know the service level provided by our staff is appreciated.

Hope to see you soon!