“Easter Dinner”

Reel Seafood Company
Reserve with OpenTable
Reel Seafood Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 687 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Scotia, New York, United States
“Easter Dinner”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was our first visit and all in all it was a pleasant experience. The food was very good and our server Christian B. was excellent and very knowledgeable of the menu. We ordered (4 people) for an appetizer clams casino, oyster rockefeller and calamari and everyone enjoyed them. All our dinners beef and seafood were very good. The menu items are a bit pricey but the quality was excellent. It is a restaurant that we would visit again.

1 Thank 571Chris

Niskayuna, New York
“New Reel Seafood worth a trip from anywhere!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We finally made our way to the newly reopened Reel Seafood and one word for it - amazing! We were greeted at the door by the new owner, Aliki Serras and were told to have a seat at the bar since we were a 1/2 hour early - anxious I guess! While we waited, while sipping a perfect Bloody Mary, we were able to check out the new decor which is gorgeous. I would call it sleek and cosmopolitan without being stuffy. Within 15 minutes we were shown to a great table just as the rest of our party arrived. We decided to forego appetizers to have room for our salads and entrees, but next time we will definitely order the Yin Yang scallops and the Clams Casino Royale! The salads were good but I wish they still had their old "house" dressing available as it was excellent. Since it is a new chef I am sure he will be unveiling other light dressings to compliment the new menu. We all had either scallops or haddock with one of the 6 different "enhancements" they offer so everyone could enjoy the individual flavor profile and we thoroughly enjoyed each and every one.

On another note, Aliki retained many of the former staff that had worked for her father for years to the service is as good as it always was!

They should be opening the patio soon for outdoor dining and at the end of the year they plan on expanding their outside dining area as well. The old Cranberry Bog on Wolf Road was a great summer spot to hang out on the deck and listen to the sounds of Jimmy Buffet and Caribbean music. We have not had any place like it since and their patio was always overflowing on nice summer days! As long as Reel Seafood can attractively muffle the sound of cars on Wolf Road I can foresee a lot of people stopping for drinks after work and on weekends - I know we will!

Here's to Aliki, LeGrande and many more successful years as Albany's own premier seafood restaurant, and hopefully summer hangout!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank mbrjpr
NYC, NY
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Pros:
Could get in on short notice on Sat night.

Cons:
Except for fishtanks, still looks like a diner.
How can a seafood restaurant take 4 different fish species selected by our party and overcook them all to tastelessness? Even SALMON?
Waiter never stopped at table until flagged down from across the room after apps or entrees were served by other staff. Read from prepared notes re: oysters, couldn't answer further ?s: which are firmer, brinier, smaller?
Two separate oyster orders of four varieties for two separate diners were served on one platter with no explanation of which was which.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank c s
Albany, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved the food!”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have been to the reel seafood company many times over the past couple years and have had good experiences every time. The calamari is the best I've ever had anywhere. Not too long before the renovation I had crab stuffed trout that was one of the best tasting dishes I have ever had. Since the renovation I stopped back for lunch and had a lobster roll which was great. I plan on stopping in for dinner again soon. Oh and love the fish tanks separating the dining room from the bar!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jim S
Galway, New York
“Very bad.”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

New decor is updated and nice. Menu has been shorted and limited. The salads were sent back as dressings were very bad tasting... cesear salad had only oil on it........ lemon vinagarette dressing was very bad tasting. Tomatoes smelled and tasted like "mold". Main course......... very little food for the expensive prices. Everything now ala carte and more expensive. We had to ask for salt and pepper..... there was none on any table. The desserts were also sent back..... gooey and not cooked pie. The onion soup was sent back because it was SWEET (sugary) with rye bread on top. After 6 years of steady business we are NOT going back. Most of the food was inedible. The manager sent back the food and took most of it off the bill. End cost for what we could eat: one appetizer, one salad and 2 entrees: over $200 before tip.

2 Thank Carol R
ReelSeafoodCo, Owner at Reel Seafood Company, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
I am so sorry to hear of your negative experience with us on Monday evening. My name is Aliki, I can be reached at (518) 458-2068, I would love the opportunity to try to rectify this less than satisfactory meal.

Been to Reel Seafood Company? Share your experiences!