“THE BEST AROUND”
Review of Scrimshaw - CLOSED

Scrimshaw
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Executive Chef Michael St. John and his culinary team present an innovative menu of New American cuisine, featuring creative seafood dishes alongside traditional Scrimshaw favorites. Scrimshaw is the proud recipient of the Achievement of Excellence award from The American Culinary Federation in the category of Fine Dining, and has been honored with the AAA Four Diamond Award for the last five consecutive years.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Dined here twice this summer and had 2 fabulous experiences. This place is class all the way and can't be topped in the Capital district or maybe even Manhattan. If you live here, or are visiting, you MUST dine at Scrimshaw. You will be positively floored by the elegance.

1  Thank MACK626

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went here for an anniversary dinner. The place was mostly empty on a Wednesday night. Ambiance was very good and wait staff was excellent. We started with cocktails that were made well but about half the size that is usually served in similar restaurants. Appetizers were very average and the salads were cold crisp and delicious. The lamb and prime rib entres were OK but certainly nothing more than ordinary. Desserts were the same. We expected more having read the reviews. Maybe it was an off night. Will think twice about returning.

1  Thank john c
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I should use this restaurant as my "go to" place every time, but since it's in a hotel, I forget how good it really is. Wife and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner here. The appetizer of 3 clams casino and 3 oysters rockefeller was shared and delicious. The standard salad served with every dinner is excellent. My wife had pan seared sea bass w/ corn/potato knish and I enjoyed the Grilled Blackberry Swordfish. Got to say we loved both. The atmosphere is relaxed and the service was tops. An inexpensive bottle of wine complemented our dinner. Coffee, but no dessert, and we wrapped up a lovely dinner. If you are looking for a relaxed, adult dining experience......this is your place.

2  Thank Wallbanger
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had one of the best dinners of my life at the Scrimshaw. They had Salmon Wellington on the menu which I've never seen anywhere before. It was exceptional. The service team Shelly, Pat and Richard made sure everything was timed perfectly, their teamwork is very apparent. A wonderful surprise was the live piano music which made the evening extra special. Just wish we lived close enough to the Desmond to visit more often. Have yet to find anything here in California that compares.

1  Thank Rob_B260
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Had dinner here with the family after an event recently and was very impressed with the service and selection of courses primarily the Seafood. The Caesar Salad prepared for four table side was a treat as this is something that has become very rare over the years. My Pancetta wrapped Halibut was perfectly cooked though haddock ordered by two of my companions was a bit dry for there liking. The highlight of the meal though was by far the Desmond Bread Pudding which is something the hotel restaurants are known for and for good reason as it was amazing. For those interested in preparing it the recipe is actually featured on the Desmond Hotel Homepage. I would recommend this restaurant to friends and family and would definitely recommend the bread pudding!.