“Tops for atmosphere”

Jack's Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack's Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broadway
Description: Known literally around the world for warm and welcoming hospitality, Jack’s Oyster House has been continuously operated by the Rosenstein family since 1913 and is now under the direction of grandson Brad. Along with French Certified Master Chef Luc Pasquier - 1 of only 52 in North America - the restaurant offers the ultimate dining experience at a true value. Come also enjoy “Bar 42” or take advantage of the extensive banquet services.
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I don't know why but I love this place. I'm sure it's the atmosphere. It's refreshing and uplifting to not have to look at men in sweatshirts and backwards baseball caps and women with too much much flesh exposed. This place exudes class. I haven't sampled enough of the food to give a complete review. And i have only been for lunch. I had a Caesar salad which was a little overdressed and lettuce not as crisp as should be. The fried calamari was very good. Not the best I've ever had but very good. Son had Manhattan clam chowder which was a real treat. Excellent. He also had a burger with blue cheese which he said was very good. But just to be there is a real old world treat.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Upon walking into Jack’s (without a reservation) we were greeted and seated in a welcoming cheerful manner by the hostess. The décor in the dining room immediately transported me into the days of Jack “Legs” Diamond, Dutch Shultz, Dan O’Connell and other Albany notables of the 1930s. My dining companions lived in the desert southwest and were craving seafood. Jack’s did not disappoint them. They both attacked their creamy seafood soup pausing only long enough to sing its praises. One companion pronounced her entrée lobster to be a “near religious experience” while the other simplied sighed as she dug into her Steak au Poivre and Scallops. My pork chop was thick and juicy with a wonderful flavor. Kenji, our server, was excellent. He has mastered the art of appearing when needed but being unobtrusive at other times. We finished the meal off by sharing a piece of Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Pie and coffee. This was my first time eating at Jack’s and I think I’ve found a new “go to” place in Albany. It’s no wonder Jack’s Oyster House has been here for 100 years.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had rigatoni in Chef's Bolognese sauce. It was heavenly. My daughter and I needed something within walking distance from Hilton, and found Jack's. Although there were many people dressed for an evening out, we were in jeans having traveled 6 hours that day. We were treated so nicely. Waiter was friendly and helpful. I had crème brulee for desert. Amazing.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a wonderful, no - make that excellent - meal at Jack's when visiting Albany in mid-October. This is a classic old restaurant in downtown: dark wood, linen tableclothes, waiters/waitresses in black pants & white shirts, big booths, photos of old Albany on the walls. We were there on a Sunday night so it was pretty quiet but it has a wonderful ambience.

Our meals were superb. I had sea scallops which were seared and topped with a delightful lemony sauce (very light and not a lot - just enough for a taste with each bite). It was served with an array of small servings of various sides: mashed potatoes, beets (which I love), brocolli, carrots. The scallops were cooked just perfectly and so flavorful. My husband has the steak diane which he loved. We both started the meal with a cup of seafood chowder which was terrific. We are from Massachusetts so are used to getting seafood & clam chowders at many restaurants and this one was in the top five: a nice mix of seafood, potatoes and a wonderful creamy broth, not too thick. (We spoke to the sous chef afterwards and he told us his secret to the chowder but I won't tell you. You just have to try it.)

My only complaint about Jack's Oyster House is that they have a limited choice of oysters on the menu! I was hoping to get Oysters Rockefeller or some other cooked oysters for an appetizer but they only have raw oysters. Bummer! Aside from that, Jack's is a wonderful place to go for the ambience and especially for the food.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very nice lunch at a legendary restaurant in downtown Albany. Good selection at reasonable pricing. Staff was very courteous and helpful. When next in Albany, I would recommend visitors give this restaurant a try.