“Onsite Smoked Food”

The Albany Rail Yard
Ranked #202 of 699 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Rail Yard was recommended to me for smoked onsite sides of ribs. Got one take-out side to sample and needed to go back that evening to get two more for the rest of the family. Wow!
Since my first encounter, I've returned for lunch. Again, we were pleasantly surprised by great burger dishes. Plans are in place to go back again with some guys from the office. Our waitress, Ashley, was pleasant and efficient.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We hit this place just after it opened, so they may have gotten some traction on the barbeque by now.

The Good: The location and parking - easy parking, central location between ALB and Colonie. The Portions - Not that size matters, a big crummy meal is more the norm, not in this case.
The Apps - we had some wings and wontons .. the wings were good, the wontons were great

The Bad: The barbeque was less then average .. sort of like you may have made at home, succulence was smoked out and tenderness was as missing as Elvis. The sides were good though.

The indifferent: The atmosphere - kind of a big, stark dining room that is a part of the (active) bar. The smoking section was directly in the entrance and we had to pass through a cloud of cigarette smoke on the way in and out.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I love what they did with the place! The Albany Rail Yard is a very open, fun pub with some great food (BBQ, wings, and fries are all quite good). The prices are better than most bars/pubs in the area and the open bar/patio is perfect for a summer afternoon!

The bar specials are great ($3 drinks, $5 apps), the wings can be made very spicy, the drinks are served quickly, the staff very attentive, and everything is clean and looks fresh. No complaints whatsoever---except that I didn't try this place sooner!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have gotten take out from The Rail Yard a few times since they have opened. Their menu is very extensive and surely even non-BBQ lovers could find something to eat. The portions are great (getting four sliders is almost as much as getting two regular sandwiches at other places), you get a lot for your money. I just wish they had mashed sweet potatoes or mac and cheese as sides for their BBQ. My only complaint is that I don't think their french fries are very good; not alot of flavor and not very crispy.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stopped in for some barbecue and were very impressed with this restaurant. They had a great outdoor deck with a bar window that you could sit at. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. My wife had a ice tea, steak salad and I had barbecue beef brisket and a beer for $35. Plenty of food and very tasty. Great service and nice decor, there was even a live band setting up as we left.
Highly recommend that you give them a try...on Central Ave in Albany.

Been to The Albany Rail Yard? Share your experiences!