“Nice atmosphere, live music!”
Review of Cafe Capriccio

Cafe Capriccio
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Capriccio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 687 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hamilton St.
Description: Cafe Capriccio has been a favorite dining destination in the Capital Region for the past 30 years. Capriccio is dedicated to the traditions of classic regional Italian cuisine and hospitality. Named Best Restaurant by METROLAND for 2012,2011, 2009. Voted READERS CHOICE for Best Italian by Metroland, 2012. A small, romantic and warm dining atmosphere filled with wood paneling, cozy booths, and exceptional service. The perfect place for a special dinner out with family and friends. Join us for some of the best regional Italian cuisine this side of Tuscany.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice atmosphere, live music!”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We really enjoyed our meal here, after having picked the restaurant out on-line, not being from Albany. It had a cozy atmosphere, and there was delightful live music as a backdrop to our meal, a sultry-sounding jazz vocalist. Our pasta dishes were tasty (very large helpings -- we couldn't even finish the half-size portions). The bread in the bread-basket, not as tasty. Wine perfectly satisfactory. We felt lucky to have found such a nice little spot near our hotel.

Visited May 2014

Coxsackie, New York
“Cozy Italian Dining”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I had an evening out with another couple at Café Capriccio. I was immediately struck by the warm ambiance of a place that cares about the experience of the patron. I am always very happy to eat in a restaurant that has linen tablecloths (not covered by glass) and gentle lighting - not bright but not so dim that the menu can't be read. Better yet, they have not succumbed to the ever-present blaring television above their bar as almost every other restaurant has done...kudos!!!

We were cheerfully welcomed and seated at a booth. The booth is one of my two issues with the restaurant. It was too small for four average-sized adults. I looked around to see if there was a place for four with chairs, but did not see one. Along with the booth size, I felt the temperature in the restaurant was too warm.

Because we had gone to a wine bar and had tapas before coming to the restaurant, we did not have appetizers. Each of us ordered an entrée. My husband had Eggplant Sorrento which he loved and ate every bit of. I had the Ravioli special which was delicious. It was a generous portion which I took about half of home. The other couple had the pesto over the homemade macaroni and the Flat Iron steak (cooked exactly as requested). Both enjoyed their entrées very much. In addition we had a nicely priced and very tasty bottle of Malbec wine. My husband had a Martini (top-shelf) and felt it was average.

We also had desserts (each couple split one). I was already so stuffed, I can't believe I made room for the dessert. The other couple had the dessert Calzone. They were clearly joyful as they ate it. It was a very large portion and they took about half home. My husband and I shared the mini-cannolis. They were good, but not great.

Throughout our meal the service was attentive. Our water was refilled several times and plates were cleared promptly. Again, it was clear that they cared about the experience of the patrons.

I would definitely revisit Café Capriccio. I would love to ask for a taste of their intriguing squid in its black ink sauce. I heard that it is a great dish! There are many other dishes that sounded great on the menu, so I really have to return!

• Visited June 2014
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Locals favorite...one of the best in Albany!”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

While traveling checked out 2 "no-go" places before finding this cute Italian cafe! Don't think there are great choices in the city but this one was okay! Eggplant app was fabulous but our dinners were just average. The atmosphere was really cute and the place was packed with locals!

1 Thank Kcabb
Naples, Florida
“Enjoyable 1st Time Experience”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We took my brother here for his 50th birthday dinner. We came from Florida and our sister came from Georgia. It was our first time. Needless to say, the eggplant was to die for. Everyone at the table enjoyed their meal. The best part was Jennifer and the staff. She knew everything about the menu and guided us based on our likes and dislikes. We had a very good experience.

• Visited May 2014
too far upstate
“Not as special as it was, but still great.”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I've been going to Capriccio since 1986. It was a magical place that turned me into a foodie. After moving from Albany to Manhattan and traveling the major cities of the world experiencing fantastic restaurants, I still find the opportunity to go back to Capriccio about once a year. I'm not sure how much Capriccio has changed or how much I have changed but we both certainly have grown.
In the 80's the cafe team was like an all-star line up of Billy, Larry, Yani, Chris & Craig... young Victor. Dennis joined the team behind the bar and he is the only remnant of the old magic, well Dennis and the Eggplant with Four Cheeses.
Everything else seems slightly different. Not necessarily worse, almost more refined where it didn't need to be. I can equate it to a few things like the Americanization of great movies, the modern slick recordings of blues, and smoke free poker games. Today's Cafe Capriccio is clean, efficient, delicious, bright, friendly, professional and probably very financially successful. But I do so miss the Capriccio of old, with it's funky music, exotic patrons, intense aromas and a crackerjack entertaining staff of characters. Stepping down into the old Capriccio, being greeted by Billy in a powder blue tuxedo with black trim and his Betelgeuse smile and that big brass espresso machine belching dirty steam, it felt like walking into a Manet painting. We can't go back in time, but for now, we can still go back to Capriccio.

The menu changes, and I've never had a bad dish there. But I have not had a truly special dish there in quite a few years. The eggplant with four cheeses, Calamari Neri, and usually the Delmonaco steak are consistently great. Much of the other menu has, much like the rest of the restaurant become more refined, less daring and unfortunately more typical.
As you read what I have just written, realize I am a harsh critic with an insatiable sentimental yearning for the past. I painfully gave it four stars because I can remember when it was five.
Still my favorite haunt in Albany, I will happily go there again and again unless they really screw something up.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Cafe Capriccio? Share your experiences!