“Very enjoyable......a tad short of perfection”
Review of Cafe Capriccio

Cafe Capriccio
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Capriccio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hamilton St.
Description: Cafe Capriccio has been a favorite dining destination in the Capital Region for the past 30 years. Capriccio is dedicated to the traditions of classic regional Italian cuisine and hospitality. Named Best Restaurant by METROLAND for 2012,2011, 2009. Voted READERS CHOICE for Best Italian by Metroland, 2012. A small, romantic and warm dining atmosphere filled with wood paneling, cozy booths, and exceptional service. The perfect place for a special dinner out with family and friends. Join us for some of the best regional Italian cuisine this side of Tuscany.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Four of us got together for dinner, and overall had a very enjoyable meal at Cafe Cappriccio. A big positive was the cordial and attentive service, which left nothing to be desired. We tried a variety of dishes and found most of them very tasty. One of the specials of the night was a home made ravioli stuffed with pureed squash and cranberries and covered with a creamy tomato sauce. It might sound strange, but tasted superb. Another outstanding dish was the classic eggplant Cappriccio; it's reputation is well deserved. I had roasted pork ribs, which were tender and juicy. They were obviously brined, and, unfortunately, were too salty for my taste. The accompanying slab of grilled polenta was cooked to the point of dryness. Next time I will probably order the wonderful eggplant dish one of my friends was so kind to let me taste. So while a few items were lacking, the experience, in total, was good enough to make me want to return again.

1  Thank Beeper99_12

Reviewed November 21, 2012

A few days ago I had dinner with good friends at Cafe Capriccio. The atmospher was unique and cozy and the food not only looked beautiful but tasted so good! I swear this was the best meal I have ever had and so I felt it was necessary to post a review. I normally don't bother with reviews but I have to say, if you don't know about Cafe Capriccio you have to go there.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was one of my favorite spots, really unique recipes and fine dining. My recent visit was a very bad experience and nothing like the place was last year. First off a bottle of wine that was really not so good, my fault I guess. And despite what folks say about screw tops are the rage, not for me. It tasted like it should have a screw top. The next item, the bread, it was like a bag of white sandwich bread with absolutely no taste. On top of that it was dispensed like it was bars of gold. No butter on the table, and a general lack of experienced wait staff. Actually an older fellow was better that the rookie that we started with. Now for the main meal, my waiter recommended what he described as his " favorite " dish and really awsum meal. Should have known, chicken thighs, the very thought of this gave me the creeps but what the heck. I thought it with a name that bad it has to be good. It was awful. A vinager taste and just god awful.

1  Thank JVRyan
Reviewed November 6, 2012

There is nothing else to say. If you want delicious food eat here. Jim Rua is an expert at making the best food around.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Dined at this excellent little hide away in downtown Albany, NY just this past Saturday. A crowd of six people. The Cafe is an Italian restaurant consisting of two rooms. A bar and a dining room. I believe there is another room used for small gatherings but I did not see it. Only about ten tables reservations are a must. We arrived early for a cocktail. We were treated a very attentive and skilled bartender. My martini was among the best I had ever had. A classic drink classically made. My fellow diners all expressed similar thought. The appetizers were fresh and tasty. The mozzarella was amazing. Dinner specials were excellent. My wife had a tuna steak with olives. She was worried that the salty olives may overpower the tuna, but it was a delicately flavored dish. Other diners had chicken and eggplant both raved. I had a risotto with brussel sprouts and Gorgonzola with a tender duck leg. Wow. Wine menu is affordable and varied. Dessert was a tiramisu, coffee and a port. The tiramisu was obviously freshly made with wonderful favors. All in all a relaxing and in hurried time. I want to make sure I mention the wait staff: Attentive, helpful professional. I highly recommend visiting.

1  Thank jelmwood

Been to Cafe Capriccio? Share your experiences!