“Rehearsal Dinner Was a Hit!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Albany, New York
“Rehearsal Dinner Was a Hit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Beff's saved the day when another local establishment (Pump Station) informed us they double booked reservations three weeks before my daughter's Rehearsal Dinner. So, after a mad dash, we were lucky to find the staff at Beff's willing to work with us to provide a lovely dinner for our guests. They couldn't have been more accommodating. The food was great with endless choices. The food just kept coming out, too. The setting was awesome - the back room & patio. I can't say enough about the servers and coordinator. Very kind and professional. Don't overlook this establishment if you want a casual but delicious event. They allowed us to decorate and bring in homemade cookies, too. Too bad we can only give this restaurant 5 stars!

Visited April 2014

Niskayuna, New York
“Still great wings!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Haven't been to Beff's for years but husband and I stopped in for a late Saturday lunch. The good weather allowed us to sit on the back patio which was very nice.
We ordered one Tuscan chicken Panini with onion rings, and an order of medium heat wings. We split both which was plenty for us.
The Panini was very, very good. Moist chicken breast, and the tomato was very ripe and flavorful; not at all anemic. A good garlic mayo (just a schmear, not too much, thank you) made it great. The onion rings were just as they should be: crispy, hot, real.
The wings are always plump and juicy and these were very good and properly messy. Served with fresh carrots and celery and bleu cheese, they really hit the spot.
The back patio is a long way from the kitchen so the service was a little slow. We had to finally just walk up front to get our check.
The bathrooms need an update. The soap pump had green sludge on the bottom of the bottle which really grossed me out. I unscrewed the soap pump just to get "clean soap" out of the top. I'm no germaphobe but Beff's should spring for some decent bathroom supplies.
Also, their standard, restaurant plastic beverage glasses need to be replaced or seriously scrubbed. My tall plastic glass of water had brown stuff...like old iced tea or coke...crude around the bottom and flecks were floating in my water. Because the patio is so far from the servers' station I didn't bother sending it back. Ordered a tea instead, which probably had the same problem but I couldn't see it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Beff's food is so good. They just need to address slow service and cleanliness.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Dirty and smelly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Went for a late dinner on a Friday night, about 9 PM. There were only 3 other tables occupied. Food was okay but it was dirty and it smelled dirty. There appeared to be as many wait staff as tables so it hard to understand how it could be so dirty. On the plus side - beer is cold.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Albany, New York
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Before we got married we frequented Beffs in Albany often. It was very popular and had a great vibe to it. Those days are over. My wife and kids visited the new Beffs tonight. I was so disappointed. Even though we could see open tables, we were told they short of bus help. After a 15min stand in the doorway, we were seated. On the walk back to second dining room, the tile floors felt greasy and slippery. We had another wait for our waitress to show. The chicken toes were as we remembered. I ordered a grilled chicken salad, I asked if I needed to order dressing or would it come dressed, I was told it was dressed. It was not. My little girl ordered a turkey sandwich. The bread was out of the fridge, stale and dry. If thats what you have to work with, how about sticking it in the toaster? My wife's panini was good. Homemade fries, but they do not season them. My sons chicken fingers were Sysco. Waitress dropped off the food and we never saw her again. Another waitress dropped of the check. The dining room was empty when we left. We arrived at 7pm, we got out at 8:35. We won't be back, but I'll have the memories of what it used to be.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Latham, New York
“Not going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were greeted by the hostess smoking in the parking lot. Ordered our food which was OK. I gave a coupon to our friendly waiter/bartender and then the manager comes over to hand it back to me because he said our bill before tax was a PENNY short so the coupon can't be used. I wanted to give a locally owned business a try instead of the usual chains but that was a mistake. I should have ordered a pickle or something to raise the bill, but I just wanted to get out of there and never return to such a poorly managed establishment. Any manager that would lose customers over a penny does not deserve to be in the restaurant business and probably will not be for much longer. Hopefully that nice bartender will get another job in a chain restaurant nearby.

Visited September 2013