“Friendly and cozy but overpriced for the quality”

Nicole's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Nicole's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 694 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nicole's restaurant was established in 1986 and has been called "The Best Little Restaurant in Albany" by the Times Union. Together, husband and wife team, Margaret Carciobolo and James Gavin, strive to keep Nicole's one of Albany's finest restaurants. Nicole's offers a diversified menu of Southern and Northern Italian cuisine with many continental influences. Our team of chefs work daily to create new and exciting dishes. In addition to Nicole's romantic dining room with a 1930's tin ceiling and metropolitan feel, Nicole's also offers an outdoor deck with floral gardens and a private banquet room seating up to forty guests.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were happy to be seated right away on a Friday evening, since the restaurant is small and the seating is limited. It took a few minutes for our waitress to arrive and take our drink order, but she was very pleasant and friendly. Our drink orders were taken and she said she would be back with bread for the table- that didn't happen for quite awhile, but it was a nice basket of warm Italian bread with olive oil, pesto, and olive tapenade-very tasty!
I ordered a pasta entree called Cappellini Angelica- ($21) shrimp & spinach in a garlic butter wine sauce. My husband had the chicken parmesan ($17)with "Italian french fries", which were wedges of baked potato with an Italian-spiced coating- very good.
The entrees we ordered and the entrees that were served to us did not match! The waitress brought us the wrong food, and it took her a few minutes to remove it from in front of us- she did apologize for the error. I am really hoping that those plates were not served to someone else!
It was awhile again before our correct orders were brought out.
My Cappellini Angelica was the most bland-tasting food I have ever eaten. I tasted no garlic, butter or wine in the "sauce". It was completely devoid of any flavor and the pasta was overcooked as well. I was very disappointed. My husband tasted it and he agreed.
I shared my husband's meal, which was very good, and we had my meal "to go" so we could maybe doctor it up at home to make it palatable.
I believe this food is very overpriced for what it is, and doesn't include a salad- you have to order and pay separately for that.
This was our second visit to this restaurant, the first being lunch before a movie- and we had a much better experience then- the portions were only slightly smaller, and they were half the price of the dinner entrees.

1  Thank mommala3

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very good service, pretty place. Food is average but prices are not. I mean $9 for a kiddie meal of pasta ,garlic and oil and broccoli ?Really ? Adult portions of eggplant parm disappointed. There was no crispy coating on the eggplant. which was sliced very thin and seemingly steamed. Accompanying broccoli was cool and undercooked. The eggplant parm dinner was $16 and included bread but a salad would be $2 extra. Pleasant place, but overpriced and not worth it. Really.

1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We dined there last night. The main dining room was filled up when we arrived; they had to seat us in the back, which is a small quiet room with less "atmosphere". After placing our order, we asked to be moved to the main room once a table became free, and they accommodated our request graciously. To start with, their bread, which is served with a black olive & basil pesto, was delicious. I started with the orange fennel salad, and my wife had the lobster bisque, both of which were quite good. For the main course, we ordered two of the specials (not on their standard menu). The "Saltimbocca" --I can't remember the full description, but it was very good: sumptuous and rich. We also ordered the Fusilli with Octopus. Unfortunately, it did not taste fresh at all and was therefore very disappointing. We brought this to their attention, and they bent over backwards to try to make up for it, offering us anything else on the menu (which we declined only because we weren't really that hungry). Several times they offered to whip up something else for us, and when we didn't request anything else, they gave us a dessert to take home. (This flourless chocolate torte was very good.) In the end, they didn't charge us for the entree in question. Nor did they charge us for the dessert.
Overall, we were quite impressed with their gracious attitude and trying to make us happy. (Our first visit, earlier this year, was also a very good experience.)

1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Nicole's catered our wedding and not only was the food wonderful but they were so helpful in planning and servicing our big day. We LOVE going there for special occasions and an evening out. My FAVORITE dish is the hazelnut chicken. OH MY GOD it's Heavenly! Service is wonderful and the staff is friendly. They put a little extra effort into their food with personal touches and tasty fresh ingredients.

2  Thank sweetpklp
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Have eaten here several times and sometimes it has been very good! The veal marsala, veal sorrento, stuffed eggplant and shrimp genovesee with mushrooms, spinach and garlic is very good. The hazelnut chicken with a Frangelico orange sauce is good if you like very, very sweet things. Same with the penne sorgento with shrimp, ham, broccoli and a super sweet basil sauce. My husband is a sweetaholic, but both these dishes were too sweet for even him. As he put it, he'd prefer to leave the sugar to dessert.

2  Thank CoralBlue49