“Great food, poor service”
Review of Madison's End Cafe

Madison's End Cafe
Ranked #229 of 688 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Boston
“Great food, poor service”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Would love to give 4 or 5 stars - the food is excellent with creative and standard menu choices. Good value too considering the high quality of the food. Unfortunately, the service was so poor that I have to give 3 stars. :(
We sat outside, waited for 20 minutes to have our order taken (after other patrons who were seated after us) and then waited another 30+ minutes for the food to arrive. I can understand the wait for the food given everything is made or order but what we got was incorrect. In a review of the bill it looks like our order was entered incorrectly... At least we weren't overcharged. Bottom line - great food but come with an extra serving of patience!

• Visited July 2013

Malta, New York
“Ehh..”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We came here for breakfast because they were supposed to be open at 7:30. The door was still locked when we tried, maybe they were running late this day. We were one of the first parties but the two workers who were there didn't really acknowledge us so we waited around 3-5 minutes just to be sat. The menu had a few items that sounded really delicious, I tried the pancakes with apples and walnuts.

Our food took an extremely long time to arrive. Again, it was basically empty when we first got there so I didn't understand the long wait. Maybe it was waiting under the heat lamps and the server was just too busy to pick it up because they did get busier as we waited, and when it did arrive my pancakes were pretty rough. They also didn't come with any syrup and I didn't want to bother the waiter for it so I ate them plain. Not a good choice. The pancakes themselves didn't have a lot of flavor and were super chewy (hence my assumption they were left under heat lamps), I didn't finish them. I also ordered a side of home fries which were okay but pretty greasy, I think they are deep fried. The service wasn't friendly or efficient and I wasn't impressed with my food. Not sure why the place was so busy, maybe its hit and miss and we just got a miss?

1 Thank Stefanie G
Albany, New York, United States
“Wait for it”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The food is excellent if you are willing to wait up to an hour for it. The wait is not the problem. I have eaten here plenty of times, but the last few times I went I decided not to wait and go somwhere else. The reason is becuase the hostesses are always rude, unfriendly, and not welcoming at all. WHo wants the first thing they see when they enter a restaurant is s scowling hostess?

atlanta
“Great”
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful breakfast. Nice neighborhood. The food best described as boutique gourmet. Well seasoned without being over done. Some traditional favorites but with a delicious twist. I would go back.

Hillsborough, New Hampshire
“Worth the wait, we ate and ate and ate!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in Albany for a couple of days. It was Sunday, so breakfast was in order, no? I scoped out "the best Sunday brunch in Albany" on a Google search and Cafe Madison came up. Let's give it a try I said to my skeptical family. We arrived at about 11:00 AM and there was a line out the door. It was 55 degrees (go figure... on Memorial Day weekend) so we were a bit bummed out about waiting outside so we squeezed into a corner in the hall and toughed it out. We were told about 30-45 minutes and true to their word, 35 minutes later, we had a table for four.

This place is amazing. Its got everything your would ever look for in a breakfast and lunch joint. An upscale menu, a bar, a hip and vibrant college town feel, outstanding service and then there is the food.

I had the "Super Breakfast" with a side of hash. The best corned beef hash I have ever had... and that is saying something. Well seasoned, great quality and no, get that, NO grease. Pancakes were golden and fluffy, the kids had lemon poppy seed pancakes and my wife had the "Hey-Yo-Adriane" crepes and said they were fabulous (they had olives so I stayed an arm's length away).

If you are a Bloody Mary fan, then go for it. Outstanding as well. Peppery, just the right amount of horseradish, lemon and lime with a crisp celery stalk.

They make all of their own breads. My "Super Breakfast" came with my choice of toast. I chose the cinnamon swirl, but because everything else was so damn good, I had all I could do to take just a bite of one of the toast pieces. Excellent.

So, if you don't mind the occasional wait, love great food, are hungry and need that breakfast hit, head on down to Cafe Madison.

• Visited May 2013