“Make a reservation!”
Review of Yono's Restaurant

Yono's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Yono's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Indonesian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sheridan Avenue
Description: Yono's has been Albany's premiere World Class restaurant for almost 30 years. Owned & operated by Chef Yono, Donna & Dominick Purnomo, the intimate, elegant split level dining room has recently been updated and is elegantly appointed with neutral colors, bronzed mirrors, a large fireplace, crystal chandelier, and stunning floral displays. Chef Yono Purnomo presents an innovative menu of blending French Technique, Asian Influence & American Ingredients. Award Winning Chef Sommelier Dominick Purnomo offers a wine list with some 1000 labels representing every major wine growing region in the world. Let the Yono's 4 star service staff anticipate your needs, while you experience luxury and elegance of a bygone era. Located adjacent to Yono's, is dp An American Brasserie, a decidedly more casual alternative.
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I organized a business dinner for 30 people at Yono’s Restaurant in May. I didn’t have a chance to meet Yono, but I am a big fan of his work! His wife, Donna, manages the restaurant and it was lovely to work with her. She created a special menu for our group and selected wines that were within our budget. The food was absolutely delicious. Everyone was complimenting the chef. I had the champagne ravioli and it was one of the best meals I ever had! The waiters were friendly and efficient. The whole experience was excellent from soup to nuts. There were several members of our party who lived in Albany and hadn’t been to Yono’s. They can’t wait to go back. Go ahead and make a reservation. I think you will be very pleased!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

A beautiful place to celebrate a special occasion. Atmosphere, service and food all impeccable. We celebrated a graduation there in May. I wish I lived closer; I would frequent this restaurant.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I have always been a huge fan of Yono's and DP Brasserie. Over the years, the quality has improved, though there was certainly nothing wrong with it years ago. I can honestly say it rivals some of the big city restaurants. If you're visiting Albany/Saratoga, there is a plethora of marginal food and there are lots of tourist traps. Yono's is not one of them. The service is friendly and refined and the food is delicious and creative. They also have an extensive wine list. This is a great place for a special occasion. Our appetizers and entrees were wonderful. Desserts were unique. My only complaint was the mignardises - they seemed to be more for decoration than flavor. But you get the picture - you'll get a nice little amuse bouche, homemade bread, and mignardises here, along with innovative main dishes and appetizers. The waiter brought a birthday dessert without me having to ask and also comped us desserts and after dinner drinks because there was a wedding rehearsal dinner that got a tiny bit loud. To me, this just shows they want to do right with their guests. I have eaten here many times over the years and it has always been a great experience.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Albany, New York, affectionally called "Smallbany" by us locals, does have some very good restaurants, and Yonos may be the best. This the kind of place for a once in a blue moon celebratory meal if you aren't rich, or frequent fine dining if you are. It ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for. The prices are very fair for the quality of the food and the overall dining experience. Yono's has a renowned wine list with many excellent offerings, even a few fairly affordable ones. As you would expect, many are in the stratosphere. Celebrity chef Yono offers modern American-Continental dishes as well as upscale versions of his native Indonesian cuisine. This is the only place in town where you can get the classic rigsttafel, with Yono's special touch, of course. The setting is elegant and each table feels relatively private. Service is over the top. Maybe even a little intrusive at times. But who's complaining. If you don't see something you'd like on the menu, ask about it. Chances are they can prepare it for you. The ingredients are top notch. This is the kind of a place where I would consume raw seafood without fear. Be on the lookout for deals on the internet. One thing I like about Yonos is that they give back to the community, participating in charity events and supporting our excellent local theatre, Capital Rep. Which, by the way is right across the street, so you can have a great meal before you see a great production. Perfect.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We went with another couple to Yono's last evening and I was the only one of the four in our group that had never been to Yono's. We walked into the Bistro part of the restaurant (out front) and is was crowded and very noisy. We arrived just before our friends and ordered a drink at the bar which arrived very quickly and the chardonnay wine was superb. We then found out that our table in the back was ready (within 10 minutes of arriving).

We walked back into the 'fine dining' section which seemed like an oasis compared to the quasi party like and noisy atmosphere up front. Our waitress and team of servers were very nice and efficient. Our friends ordered a bottle of wine named after Robert Sinskey and his ophthalmology hook, the Sinskey hook. Fitting since our friend is a renowned area ophthalmologist.

We first order appetizers of the "Jumbo Prawn" for $17 and a house salad for $12. A bit pricey, but we were expecting it to be worth it. Before ordering the waitress described the single prawn at "6 to 8 per pound" and extremely large and "as large as a small lobster tail". The salad arrived just fine, but the shrimp was the size of mid-sized scallop. Everyone at the table and the waitress agreed that this was not what was expected so they delivered another prawn the size we expected originally.

The food we ordered was the halibut special (delicious!), two orders of scallops and the duck entree. They were all excellent - hot, tasty, etc. The portions were a little small for the prices, but we didn't seem to mind.

We then ordered dessert - one French vanilla cheesecake, one sorbet and one gelato. All deserts were excellent, especially the cheesecake which I split with my friend.

Other than the noisy and crowded front part of Yono's (which I didn't have to endure due to sitting in the back fine dining section) and the prawn issue, the place was excellent and I will definitely return.