“Won't go back” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yono's Restaurant

Yono's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Yono's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 681 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Indonesian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sheridan Avenue
Description: Yono's has been Albany's premiere World Class restaurant for almost 30 years. Owned & operated by Chef Yono, Donna & Dominick Purnomo, the intimate, elegant split level dining room has recently been updated and is elegantly appointed with neutral colors, bronzed mirrors, a large fireplace, crystal chandelier, and stunning floral displays. Chef Yono Purnomo presents an innovative menu of blending French Technique, Asian Influence & American Ingredients. Award Winning Chef Sommelier Dominick Purnomo offers a wine list with some 1000 labels representing every major wine growing region in the world. Let the Yono's 4 star service staff anticipate your needs, while you experience luxury and elegance of a bygone era. Located adjacent to Yono's, is dp An American Brasserie, a decidedly more casual alternative.
Catskill, New York
“Won't go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had been here in the summer during the week when Yono was there and teh food was great and so was the service. This time I came with my husband and the food was not good at all, and it is very expensive. I had to send my duck back. It was overdone and then it came back after a very long time rare with fatty skin. My husband had the Indonesian plate and was disappointed. Dominick was very accomodating by giving us a glass of champagne. Service was very good. The servers are very unpretentious. Unfortunately, that is not going to get me to return. I have a feeling something was wrong in the kitchen

Visited February 2013
1 Thank judi2

“A bit bland”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Since I was staying at the Hampton Inn, Yono's was a great option for dinner on a night with single digit temperatures. The restaurant was busy but our server was pleasant and pretty efficient. Once I chose my meal -- the red snapper with polenta and vegetables -- she recommended a nice wine, which was very tasty. The meal itself, however, could have used more flavor. I was dining with my daughters; one had the snapper and one had a chicken and pasta dish. I tasted the pasta dish and it was also fairly bland. Some may say the flavors were subtle, but I think the chef needs to punch up the flavors. The meal was enjoyable, but it could have been better.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
New York
“Not a culinary winner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Decided to dine at Yono rather than next door and had the staff's recommendations. The service was extraordinary however the food dull at best. The scallop appetizer was fair, steamed and bland. When you are served a few sea scallops, and they are steamed, not seared they lose their ability to please. The same with the Halibut, again, steamed, cooked well, but not special. I would not come back the NYC restaurants - even the average ones, could offer lessons on amazing cuisine. The quality was great, the preparation mediocre.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boston, MA
“Good option for Albany, But not for everyone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

First I have to say I don't consider myself a foodie or gourmet. I like good food, good portions and reasonable prices. I care less about the presentation of the food, the wine pairings, or unique main courses. These preferences factor into my evaluation.

Secondly the rating scheme where "3" is average and "4" is very good can make the rating difficult. I certainly don't consider this an average restaurant, so I gave it a "4". But check out the menu and prices before you go and read some of the reviews carefully. This place is not for everybody.

Ultimately I think this is a good restaurant, and it was convenient as I was staying at the Hampton Inn, but it's not really my preferred type of restaurant. That said, the service was excellent and the food was very good. But I left the restaurant hungry and I thought the price for the portions was on the high side.

Visited January 2013
Albany, New York
“Not much for the vegetarian...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Tonight was my second evening at this establishment, each time for the ambiance and the tasting options for my date, as there is only one vegetarian entree. I knew I'd be ordering the tofu stir-fry both times, although you wouldn't have known it was even the same dish between the two visits.

The first evening, my partner was less than impressed by the salmon, it was quite ordinary. We split an appetizer which was basically a spring roll cut in half. I didn't have high expectations for my own dish, but it was absolutely the best restaurant vegetarian meal I had ever had. The vegetables were cooked just perfectly, lightly oiled just long enough to keep them fresh and yet absorb the chef's multi-layered seasoning. The tofu as well, with just enough cooking to maintain their own texture and allowing in subtle flavors. It was generous in terms of portions. RIce noodles were an accent and didn't dominate the dish. Presentation was excellent.

An added plus is that chef Yono recognized my date and came over to talk about how most of his diet growing up was tofu and tempeh and that he especially likes to cook this. It definately showed!!

Tonight, my date ordered the indonesian tasting platter, which included beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, and vegetable components. It was beautifully presented, and satisfying. I was looking foward to previous tofu experience. Instead, what arrived was a mushy brown mess of overcooked vegetables, rice noodles, shriveled oily tofu, and a few scoops of rice. It was mostly oil soaked noodles. Every ingrediant took on the same heavy flavor. I plan to add a pound of fresh vegetables and tofu in an attempt to revive my sad leftovers.

This establishment needs to make sure that regardless of who the chef is, they can make a simple stir fry. I'm assuming Yono isn't working on Tuesday nights. But this is like the kindergarden of culinary school. My second entree I could have gotten for a $6 lunch special at any asian take-out. I'm not sure what the variability is with the meat dishes. If it was anything like my experience, make sure it's worth spending $100 on a meal whose outcome is a gamble. If I hadn't used a coupon tonight, my disappointment would have been even greater.

During both visits, everything is very pretty to look at, and the staff were very friendly.

On a humorous note, my inner child absolutely loved the pretzel bites and butter assortment.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Yono's Restaurant? Share your experiences!