“Mothers Day”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Delmar, New York
“Mothers Day”
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Took my mother,wife and kids out to dinner. For $200 I think I will buy my own prime rib smoke it my self on Fathers Day. I'll have a better meal and save $125. The meat was average. The salad bar was nothing to write home about.

Visited May 2014

Upstate NY
“Disappointing early Mothers Day dinner”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Knowing how busy and chaotic restaurants can be on Mother's Day weekend, a group of 8 family members went to the Barnsider the week before Mothers Day to celebrate. My Mother, who had been to the Barnsider years ago and had a meal disappointing enough to keep her from returning, said she was game to give them another try. My husband and I go there quite frequently, almost always having the Prime Rib, and I assured my Mother that they must have hit them on a bad night as we'd never encountered a problem during our many visits over the years.

Our group was seated up in the back area, which I believe is set aside for larger groups. There is a salad bar in this room, which is very nice so that you don't have to walk all the way around to the larger salad bar in the main dining room.

5 of our group of 8 ordered Prime Rib, 2 ordered the Top Sirloin and one had a chicken dish.
The only happy person was the one eating the chicken! Every cut of the Prime Rib was tasteless, tough and dry. The Top Sirloins were also very tough, with no taste. None of the meat was particularly warm.

Initially I thought that maybe it was just my cut of meat that was disappointing, and when I asked the others how their meat was, I got the same response from everyone. The restaurant was quite busy by this time, and it was a good 5 to 10 minutes before one of the waiters stopped by to ask how our meals were. I informed him that all of us eating the beef were disappointed and that it certainly was not up to their usual standards. To be clear, the meat was certainly edible and we did eat it. But if you've ever had the Prime Rib here you know how good it is supposed to be - and this was not. Our waiter offered to bring more au jus, so that we could dip the meat and give it more flavor and soften it up some, and we took him up on that. Also, the au jus was hot, and the meat wasn't, so that did help.

The manager was very quick to come to our table to address the problem. He very kindly offered to give each one of us another cut of Prime Rib, from a different piece of meat, but as we were all at least half way through our individual pieces, we declined his offer.

A few of us ordered desserts, which were very good and enjoyed thoroughly. I had a coupon for $10.00 off, which I gave to the waiter prior to receiving our bill. When the bill arrived, our waiter told us that the desserts were on the house to make up for the disappointing beef we had which we greatly appreciated, and that the coupon had been deducted. In looking over the bill, I didn't see anywhere that showed the coupon deduction. When the waiter came to collect the bill, I pointed out that the coupon hadn't been deducted after all and he took it to the cashier, who confirmed that it hadn't been deducted and they rectified that.

While the meal certainly was a disappointment, it wasn't bad enough to ruin our celebration. I do know, however, that my Mother will most certainly never return now, after this latest visit!
I believe this was just a case of a busy Saturday night and certainly not the norm, as I can attest to from the many visits I have enjoyed here over many years. But I do think it will be awhile before I give them another chance!

• Visited May 2014
Englewood, New Jersey
“More to Love...”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The Barnsider is a charming restaurant with a wonderful menu. However, the dining room gets crowded and quite loud, making it hard to hear even the people around you. The food is very good, but again, slightly pricey. I had no problems during my experience here, just be aware that it will get crowded.

• Visited February 2014
NY-Maine
“Was my favorite restaurant.”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have been dining The Barnsider Restaurant since it was in Colonie Center in 1968. Their medium-rare top sirloin is my favorite. On Wednesday April 9 I was served a top sirloin that was medium-well and full of grizzle which they gladly returned. My wife's medium-rare sliced sirloin was excellent. The next top sirloin I received was about 1" thick ( the usual cut is about 2") medium with no sear or taste. It must be the chef was told of the grizzle and made sure the next steak had no grizzle.

• Visited April 2014
Latham, New York
“very disappointed”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I had dined at the Barnsider several years ago and had an absolutely inedible meal but being of the mind that everyone deserves a second chance, I decided to dine there again with some friends. The menu describes how you want your steak cooked, so I ordered a sirloin, medium, with rice pilaf as my side dish. The steak came rare/medium rare so I sent it back. After about 10 minutes a waiter returned with my steak and a piece of parsley. I asked where the rice was and the waiter returned with a side of vegetables. I told him I ordered rice with my meal and he finally returned with a side dish of it. By the time I got my meal, the other 3 people I was with were almost finished with their meals and the aggravation ruined my meal. So if you want a nice dinner go somewhere else!

• Visited March 2014