“So enjoyable went back a week later.”

Samurai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #213 of 697 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The atmosphere is relaxing and mellow. The decor is an Asian medley.... and its hard to believe that this restaurant was a burger king before this reincarnation. Soft music reinforces the tinkling music of fountains ..quiet and tranqui... and a great place to chat with friends.
I ordered Yaki Udon(Seafood udon). My companion ordered Pad Thai. When our food arrived and was placed in front of us....we noticed that the surface of it seemed to be moving. There was no breeze of fan creating the motion. Suddenly our booth was surrounded by other dinners watching our food appear "alive". we called a waitress over, she was just as fascinated as everyone else and didn't know what was causing it. She went and got our waiter who explained it was crispy Bonita flakes that were on top of the meals. The steam from the warm dishes was causing the bottom of the flakes to get soggy and create the " waving" motion that made it look alive.
After the mystery of moving food was solved we both delved in and started eating. The food was good and satisfying. The wait staff was helpful, friendly and attentive. I went back a week later with another friend! :)

1  Thank tomtdn

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is a good Japanese steakhouse.

I could actually conclude the review there, and apply that review to 5 or more other places within a ten mile radius. For those of us who have been around here for a while, who would ever have thought that we would have all of these Asian restaurants! I remember a time when there was 1 Indian restaurant, and no Thai.

I digress. Sorry, but the hibachi (technically Teppenyaki, right?) are all about the same to me. Sure, the menus are a bit different, but the fish in all is fresh, and I have not had bad sushi in the Capital region. I have recently been to Hana, Samurai and Shogun and this review applies to all.

For my money, it’s Mr. Fuji or Sake Cafe, mostly because the food is good and the atmosphere smaller and quieter. No Teppenyaki tables, though.

Go where it's convenient, and where you have a coupon. Oh, and where the kids like the "show" the best. Sake squirted into your mouth, anyone?

1  Thank Rhapsodyinblue
Reviewed March 14, 2013

On Sunday last we went to the Samurai for my daughters birthday. There were 7 of us and we sat at the hibachi table as her step-children 9 and 12 had never experienced one before. I was not looking forward to going as my previous visits to other hibachi restaurants were mediocre at best.
The chef here was not an acrobat or one of the best knife or egg throwers we had seen previously but you go to these places primarily for a good meal and the entertainment is just a sideshow. For once we were not disappointed, the food choices were varied, (much more than at other hibachi tables) and I chose the chicken and salmon combination. After some theatrics, the fried rice was served first and I started with that straight away (I am a slow eater, so I rarely wait for all others to be served, my enjoyment of food while it is still hot supersedes my manners I guess:)), it was delicious by itself and not in the least bit greasy as most are. The noodles came next after a few scoops of rice and again they were delicious enough to eat on their own, the chicken and the salmon were outstanding in their own flavors. There was plenty of food of great quality and the staff were all pleasant, the surroundings good and the prices reasonable. We will certainly make a point of visiting again.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We sat at the hibachi table. The food was wonderfully fresh and the 'show' was entertaining! All the waitstaff were friendly and our experience was great. I plan on returning soon!!

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Proximity to the all time favorite Koto Japanese place will be a challenge for this place. Overall they do a good job with the food and service. Atmosphere is more modern urban than koto. Will need to try the house specials next time to find if there's something distinctive.

Been to Samurai Japanese Restaurant? Share your experiences!