“Great Southern Italian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Calabria

Cafe Calabria
Ranked #74 of 683 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Castleton On Hudson, New York
“Great Southern Italian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I loved this restaurants. I'm a local and have visited several times. They have creating sandwiches for lunch and outstanding dinners. Their homemade ravioli with a red pepper pesto sauce is my favorite dinner. Nice to see an authentic Italian restaurant from the Calabria region.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank David P

Rensselaer, New York, United States
“Southern Italian Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

A friend and I decided to eat here on a week night. It's located where the BFS used to be on Western Avenue. The new owners have given the outside a face lift to give it curb appeal. They haven't done much inside if you remember the BFS.

Food was outstanding with large enough portions to take 1/2 home for a second meal. The desserts are homemade with only one being imported from Italy.

The wait staff gave us the attention comparable to what you would have when eating in Italy. She made sure we had our order in, stop by to refresh drinks and to ask if we liked everything but mainly left us alone to enjoy the wonderful meal.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank DeborahL428
New York
“Delcious-Nice Variety on Menu for Italian Place-Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a fan of locally owned restaurants and was happy to see this one open up in its location. I ordered some take-out for a relative and I and then went back for dinner a week or so after. All meals were excellent. Very consistently good.

The Lemon Rosemary Chicken was decadent with enough left over for lunch the next day. Salad (included in meals along with fresh bread) was fresh and crisp both times. House dressing is nice and herbal They have some nice variety on the menu for an Italian place. You can go there and not "eat Italian," in terms of genre and have a lot to choose from. I say this in a positive way in case the reader of this review is tired of Italian restaurants (like me ;-).

Service is friendly. The place is really cute with enough room between tables so you do not feel crowded. Lighting is excellent...not to bright or too dark.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lisa W
Albany, New York
“The New Kid with Old World Experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Having heard about the new Italian restaurant in the old BFS place, I decided to try it with a friend from work.
We arrived early for dinner but they were ready. The place is clean and roomy, the service attentive and considerate. We began with bruschetta della rosa as an appetizer. This item was so loaded with fresh tomatoes my friend ended up taking most of the tomatoes home for an omelette later. My eye caught the poached pear pecan salad which I had to try. As it turned out, they had no pecans so the young lady waiting on us suggested walnuts instead. Again, we found an abundance of an item on our table, and this time it was the walnuts.
Our dinners were veal bracciola for my friend and rosemary lemon chicken for myself. The flavors in the rosemary lemon chicken were magnificent. The chicken was tender. I had no complaints. My friend for the most part enjoyed his veal but he was confused by the vegetable of the day. It was broccoli rabe which has a unique taste not to everyone's liking. I happen to love it.
Finally, they have a selection of desserts here that will thrill you. It's as good as Italian desserts can get. I have to go back and explore their menu more. A happy addition to the community in the world of eating out.
One note. When we ate here in October they were waiting for their liquor license. I have since been told they finally received it as we approach December.

• Visited October 2012
Albany, New York
“The second coming of BFS: Good Italian in Guilderland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

A quick, unplanned dinner for three took us to Cafe Calabria on a recent October evening. This relatively new restaurant, on the site of the old BFS, is the newest dining opportunity in the Guilderland area.

While the restaurant has very limited seating, and was somewhat crowded on this evening, we were immediately seated. The menu is interesting, but similar to most other Italian restaurants, with some appropriate appetizers, and 30 or so typical entree selections in the areas of pasta, fish, beef and chicken. (I do not believe they have yet secured a liquor license.)

Our dinner selections were large, nicely presented, and accompanied with a side salad bowl. Dinners for the three of us were either beef or chicken and approximated $18 to $20 each. My two companions thought their dinners were very good, mine was also very good (not great), as it lacked seasoning. The red sauce was outstanding and, as a result, my side pasta was the hit of the evening.

Overall, the dinner was quite good; the service was outstanding. We are blessed with a number of great Italian restaurants in our area. For those days when we need a fix of Italian, but don't want to drive another 10 minutes, Cafe Calabria will do just fine. We'll be back.

3 Thank HolidayRoadster

Been to Cafe Calabria? Share your experiences!